TV Home Forum

Saturday Night Takeaway 2018

(February 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DE
DE88
Although PokerFace was a pretty expensive show to produce, I still think it's a shame that it only lasted two series.

Push the Button and Red or Black? also lasted only two series - though they weren't as good as PokerFace, to put it mildly.
DW
DavidWhitfield
I honestly really enjoyed both Poker Face and Red or Black?

They'd never bring either back, especially the latter, since (a) it was incredibly expensive to make, (b) people complained it was all down to chance and showed no skill on the part of the contestants, (c) it received a lot of bad publicity when the first fella who won it was found to be a criminal, and (d) it took 7000 applicants minimum to make a series of it.
Last edited by DavidWhitfield on 10 August 2018 2:15pm
:-(
A former member
I still like duel. That was a simple format And rather cheap to make. The problem is itv don't want to take risks anymore.
FO
FanOfTV99
They should just have WOS Wrestling extended to 90 minutes, Make it live and have it on to replace the SNL Slots.
HC
Hatton Cross
Thank god you don't programme a mainstream channel.

Saturday 7.00pm on ITV4, yes..
Saturday 7.00pm on ITV, no..

Wrestling is a niche 'sport' and not Saturday Night peak time mass viewing entertainment.
DE
DE88
I still like duel. That was a simple format And rather cheap to make. The problem is itv don't want to take risks anymore.

Duel was a pretty good replacement for PokerFace. Sadly, it didn't seem to appeal as much to casual viewers as it did to game show fans...

I honestly really enjoyed both Poker Face and Red or Black?

They'd never bring either back, especially the latter, since (a) it was incredibly expensive to make, (b) people complained it was all down to chance and showed now skill on the part of the contestants, (c) it received a lot of bad publicity when the first fella who won it was found to be a criminal.

Red or Black? was, of course, bankrolled by Simon Cowell.

They changed the endgame for the second series - replacing the roulette wheel with the supposedly more skill-based Vortex. But even that went wrong...
AD
addlestones
There should be a revival of You Bet
DW
DavidWhitfield
There should be a revival of You Bet

There was a German version of that programme named Wetten, Dass! which suffered badly in 2010 when a stunt went terribly wrong live on television. The man in question (Samuel Koch) suffered serious injuries, still affecting him to this day.

You can watch der Unfall (the accident) here:

The host of the series (Thomas Gottschalk) left the show almost immediately thereafter.

This isn't strictly relevant to this thread, but since You Bet was mentioned, I thought someone, somewhere , might find this vaguely interesting. I would imagine the danger factor, (and not wanting a repeat of this event) would colour ITV's view of ever making a show like that.
Last edited by DavidWhitfield on 10 August 2018 3:02pm
DC
DCI02
There was a pilot filmed the other day for a gameshow hosted by Mulhern called 'Rollin' In It'. There is an overview of the filming on Bothers' Bar. http://www.bothersbar.co.uk/?p=11021

Perhaps that could replace SNT next year?
JO
Jonwo
I think ITV should look at successful foreign formats like Game of Games which could work as a vehicle for either Ant and Dec or another presenter.
AA
Amber Avenger
DCI02 posted:
There was a pilot filmed the other day for a gameshow hosted by Mulhern called 'Rollin' In It'. There is an overview of the filming on Bothers' Bar. http://www.bothersbar.co.uk/?p=11021

Perhaps that could replace SNT next year?

To me, it reads more like it'll be in a similar slot to either Catchphrase, or Celeb versions of Chase/Tipping Point to be fair.

I think ITV will probably take the safe option of it being replaced by The Voice, similar to when Takeaway had the week off this year. Perhaps even with a lead in of the series version of In for a Penny, which has been filming recently.
AN
Andrew Founding member

How is a quiz show a risk?

Newer posts