The Newsroom

BBC Breakfast - 2018 Refresh

(June 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
LL
London Lite Founding member
I seem to recall at that time that they did an hour of proper news and analysis from 6-7am, then 7-8.30 was just as it was shown in that video. There were news bulletins of course, which were a tiny part of the output.

It's fair to say the current Moron/Reid format is more newsier than it was in 2007.
RN
Rolling News
Didn't they try to make things more formal and polished though in 2009 when Fiona Phillips left and they brought in Emma Crosby?
:-(
A former member
To be fair, it wasn’t pretending to be hard news...
SC
scottishtv Founding member
Haha, yes, I'd forgotten about the GMTV News Hour. It's the label "Best Factual Entertainment Show" that tickled me most.

Still though, I guess they were providing something populist and lighter in tone for the viewership.
AN
Andrew Founding member
Didn't they try to make things more formal and polished though in 2009 when Fiona Phillips left and they brought in Emma Crosby?

And that’s when the decline started
CH
chris

I’m sure Breakfast was on top by around 2007. As we’ve discussed many times on this forum, once the viewers have left, on breakfast TV it’s difficult to get them back.
Stuart, Custard56 and DE88 gave kudos
DE
DE88
chris posted:

I’m sure Breakfast was on top by around 2007. As we’ve discussed many times on this forum, once the viewers have left, on breakfast TV it’s difficult to get them back.

The phone-in scandal on GMTV certainly had a significant effect.
TI
TIGHazard
Goodness I'd forgotten how dumbed down GMTV was judging by that video - like a tabloid on TV. Paris Hilton, Nancy Del'Olio, surgery gone wrong - clearly tackling the heavy news items of the day. And the lead item would've fitted right in on a Mail front page 'Parents too afraid to let kids play outside!'.

I know GMTV was never Newsnight but come on!

At one point after 8:30 they gave up completely and showed cartoons, presumably to compete with the CBBC Breakfast show on 2.

BR
Brekkie
They used to show kids shows in the holidays instead of whatever incarnation of Lorraine was on at the time. Indeed they really should get Timmy Mallet guest hosting Lorraine over the summer.
AN
Andrew Founding member
Goodness I'd forgotten how dumbed down GMTV was judging by that video - like a tabloid on TV. Paris Hilton, Nancy Del'Olio, surgery gone wrong - clearly tackling the heavy news items of the day. And the lead item would've fitted right in on a Mail front page 'Parents too afraid to let kids play outside!'.

At one point after 8:30 they gave up completely and showed cartoons, presumably to compete with the CBBC Breakfast show on 2.

Explain “gave up completely”

It was normal for kids shows to air after 8:30 during holidays
SP
Spencer

Explain “gave up completely”

It was normal for kids shows to air after 8:30 during holidays

Plus most cartoons are more intellectually stimulating than Lorraine Kelly’s vapid show.
London Lite and Custard56 gave kudos
LL
London Lite Founding member
The easiest way to compare is when you see the excruciating chats between Kelly and Dan Wooton and then the post 8.30 slot on Breakfast. Yes, it's more relaxed on Breakfast, but there is a sense of a commitment to the arts and entertainment (bar the Love Island nonsense on one edition) than you'd get on Lorraine which is tabloid fodder.

Newer posts