TV Home Forum

Childrens TV

OFCOM shows some mettle (July 2018)

DE
deejay Oxford
Riaz posted:
Long gone because the option has gone. I suspect (but don't know) those are peak viewing times for the kids channels, but unlike back in our day the chances of having new original UK content at those times is slim.

Children's programmes achieved the viewing figures that they did during the heyday of analogue TV because of scarcity. The idea of children's programmes being available 24 hours a day was just a dream to most kids, so whenever the rare chance emerged to watch such programmes - like weekday afternoons and saturday mornings - millions of kids up and down the nation would huddle around the TV because that was the only opportunity that they had.

I will even admit to watching CBBC on a TV in an electrical shop whilst out and about.

The creation of CBBC and CITV channels followed by the analogue switch off technically rendered children's programmes on BBC1 and ITV1 as redundant.

I'm not so sure about peak viewing times but availability of children's programmes throughout the day now means that viewing times are more varied.

I'd imagine most kids still like to crash out when they get in from school and watch a bit of TV just as their parents do with The Chase and Pointless when they get in from work. One key difference though might be that for many kids the school day now extends into after-school clubs etc. pretty much daily with schools pretty much expected to provide for children whilst their parents do the 9-5.

Kids simply don’t crash out in front of the telly any more. They relax in front of their smartphones and/or tablets. My kids never put on the telly to see what’s on. They don’t even watch YouTube via the telly (and with chrome cast type devices it’s really easy) they seem to prefer to watch on a tiny hand held screen.
The only times they watch is for appointment to view - Love Island is one prime example. It’s really captured the teen market, despite the fact it’s probably not supposed to have. They’re clearly all talking about it at school and via social media.
Two minutes regions...
FA
fanoftv Central (West) Midlands Today
For me, this should not be about the pushing the channels to air on new children's content on their main channels but should be about them spending more money on children's content.

The CITV Channel for example is mostly imports these days with the odd reliance of old shows like the Mr Bean cartoon series that has come back around. Thunderbirds are go is the exceptoon and is a fantastic series imo.
As for Channel 4, could they look to air more teen based programmes on E4 to cover? I'm surprised at Channel 5 too. The block is there, but apparengly original content funding has slipped. Could this be something to do with Viacom utilising the milkshake service to point viewers towards Nick Jr?
:-(
A former member
Citv did make a new series of Mr bean recently.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member Central (West) Midlands Today

Ordered in 2014, aired over 2015/16. Effectively relegated to CITV as it originally premiered on Saturday night ITV. Mr Bean is the show that never dies, with one of the weirdest fan bases going if YouTube comments are anything to go by Wink
CA
Caly123 Wales Wales Today

Ordered in 2014, aired over 2015/16. Effectively relegated to CITV as it originally premiered on Saturday night ITV. Mr Bean is the show that never dies, with one of the weirdest fan bases going if YouTube comments are anything to go by Wink

The show also aired on Nicktoons and now Boomerang.
FO
FanOfTV99 Granada North West Today
JAS84 posted:
Cbeebies was blacked out on Sky this morning. Cue panic!

Stay Safe.

You'll Never Walk Alone
RI
Riaz
I'd imagine most kids still like to crash out when they get in from school and watch a bit of TV just as their parents do with The Chase and Pointless when they get in from work. One key difference though might be that for many kids the school day now extends into after-school clubs etc. pretty much daily with schools pretty much expected to provide for children whilst their parents do the 9-5.

Crash out in front of a TV connected to a PS4. I have an article somewhere about the demise of Knightmare as a result of a theory in the early 1990s that older kids were migrating away from children's TV towards game consoles so management of CBBC and CITV decided to scale back programmes for older kids and instead focus on a younger audience. The situation became self perpetuating as by the late 1990s there was less for older kids on CBBC and CITV than 10 years previously so they played video games instead of watching TV after school.

The after school clubs is another factor in wanting children's programmes at 8PM rather than 4PM and such clubs have become more common in recent years than they were in the 1980s and 90s. This is something that OFCOM must take account of.

I have had reservations whether broadcasters and producers of programmes understand older children / younger teenagers well as it's a difficult demographic to cater for even at the best of times.
BR
Brekkie Recently warned Wales Wales Today
As for Channel 4, could they look to air more teen based programmes on E4 to cover? I'm surprised at Channel 5 too. The block is there, but apparengly original content funding has slipped. Could this be something to do with Viacom utilising the milkshake service to point viewers towards Nick Jr?

Considering C4 is now dead in daytime, partly thanks to BBC1 and ITV being allowed into the market by abandoning the kids slots, I think they'd have nothing to lose by making the 5pm hour teen focused as well, and with The Simpsons and Hollyoaks that makes a two-hour block.

E4 arguably have increased original teen programming in pre-watershed slots with that Stage School crap and the Celebrity Driving School show, plus the likes of Streetmate and Coach Trip probably aimed at a slightly older audience.
Turns out nobody had 2020 vision.
JA
james-2001 Central (East) East Midlands Today
Effectively relegated to CITV as it originally premiered on Saturday night ITV.

It was horribly unsuited for Saturday night TV, far too kiddy. I actually felt embarrased watching the first episode when it was shown! Can't imagine it attracting many adults. Seems to have done well enough to keep going, on kids channels anyway.
BR
Brekkie Recently warned Wales Wales Today
It was early Saturday night TV anyway, more 5.30pm than 8pm, and no more kiddy than anything Harry Hill has served up. Agree though more suited to CITV.
Turns out nobody had 2020 vision.
NT
NorthTonight North Reporting Scotland
How long is it since CITV showed any new episodes of Sooty?
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member Central (West) Midlands Today
How long is it since CITV showed any new episodes of Sooty?

Wiki says new episodes due to air in 2018.

Anyway Sooty has been around in one form or another since 1955, near enough as old as commercial TV itself, though of course he didn't start on commercial TV.

Newer posts