TV Home Forum

Childrens TV

OFCOM shows some mettle (July 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DE
deejay
Neither of my kids really watch television at all. It’s all youtubers these days. They liked CBeebies when they were little, but never transitioned to CBBC, CITV or any older children’s channels.
JA
JAS84
Cbeebies was blacked out on Sky this morning. Cue panic!

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/news/hull-east-yorkshire-news/why-is-cbeebies-not-working-1827335

Two CITV shows are also airing on other networks: Horrid Henry for Nicktoons (which is currently part of the block 'The Loud Horrid Sponge' for the summer holidays which shows Horrid Henry, SpongeBob and The Loud House) and Wishfart for Cartoon Network.
Three shows - isn't Thunderbirds Are Go on Disney XD?
DC
DCI02
JAS84 posted:
Cbeebies was blacked out on Sky this morning. Cue panic!

https://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/news/hull-east-yorkshire-news/why-is-cbeebies-not-working-1827335

Two CITV shows are also airing on other networks: Horrid Henry for Nicktoons (which is currently part of the block 'The Loud Horrid Sponge' for the summer holidays which shows Horrid Henry, SpongeBob and The Loud House) and Wishfart for Cartoon Network.
Three shows - isn't Thunderbirds Are Go on Disney XD?

It was for a while, but there's no sight of it on the schedules at the moment.
BR
Brekkie
Riaz posted:
Long gone because the option has gone. I suspect (but don't know) those are peak viewing times for the kids channels, but unlike back in our day the chances of having new original UK content at those times is slim.

Children's programmes achieved the viewing figures that they did during the heyday of analogue TV because of scarcity. The idea of children's programmes being available 24 hours a day was just a dream to most kids, so whenever the rare chance emerged to watch such programmes - like weekday afternoons and saturday mornings - millions of kids up and down the nation would huddle around the TV because that was the only opportunity that they had.

I will even admit to watching CBBC on a TV in an electrical shop whilst out and about.

The creation of CBBC and CITV channels followed by the analogue switch off technically rendered children's programmes on BBC1 and ITV1 as redundant.

I'm not so sure about peak viewing times but availability of children's programmes throughout the day now means that viewing times are more varied.

I'd imagine most kids still like to crash out when they get in from school and watch a bit of TV just as their parents do with The Chase and Pointless when they get in from work. One key difference though might be that for many kids the school day now extends into after-school clubs etc. pretty much daily with schools pretty much expected to provide for children whilst their parents do the 9-5.
DV
DVB Cornwall
ITV could resolve their commitment easily by dumping the 5pm quiz slot and bringing back a Blockbusters type quiz with a topical element with contestants from 14+ as a lead element. Directing that hour towards the 11+ market rather than the 18 and above should be relatively easy to achieve.

Channel 4 could do something similar at 6pm pre Hollyoaks. As for Channel 5 the 5pm news is a stumbling block to overcome.
JA
JAS84
That... will not happen. The Chase is a high rater for it's timeslot, and Simpsons is clearly still popular - why else would they have just turned those 6pm airings into the second half of a double bill? They're not about to ditch those shows and replace them with edutainment.
OF
OF992
CBBC afternoons on BBC One, anyone?
DV
DVB Cornwall
No the issue ISN'T with the BBC. The report addresses the three commercial PSBs.
OF
OF992
Children's TV is **** nowadays. Half of the shows are either some lame-ass drama or cheaply-made cartoons with excessive toilet humour. There are some exceptions, though.
LL
London Lite Founding member
Riaz posted:
Long gone because the option has gone. I suspect (but don't know) those are peak viewing times for the kids channels, but unlike back in our day the chances of having new original UK content at those times is slim.

Children's programmes achieved the viewing figures that they did during the heyday of analogue TV because of scarcity. The idea of children's programmes being available 24 hours a day was just a dream to most kids, so whenever the rare chance emerged to watch such programmes - like weekday afternoons and saturday mornings - millions of kids up and down the nation would huddle around the TV because that was the only opportunity that they had.

I will even admit to watching CBBC on a TV in an electrical shop whilst out and about.

The creation of CBBC and CITV channels followed by the analogue switch off technically rendered children's programmes on BBC1 and ITV1 as redundant.

I'm not so sure about peak viewing times but availability of children's programmes throughout the day now means that viewing times are more varied.

I'd imagine most kids still like to crash out when they get in from school and watch a bit of TV just as their parents do with The Chase and Pointless when they get in from work. One key difference though might be that for many kids the school day now extends into after-school clubs etc. pretty much daily with schools pretty much expected to provide for children whilst their parents do the 9-5.

Indeed, the school run for secondary school children at least in the afternoon is more staggered. I've seen kids leave school between 4.15-5pm after the clubs finish on my way home.

Before the clubs started, I remember seeing 100+ kids waiting at bus stops around 3.30pm.
SE
Square Eyes Founding member
ITV could resolve their commitment easily by dumping the 5pm quiz slot and bringing back a Blockbusters type quiz with a topical element with contestants from 14+ as a lead element. Directing that hour towards the 11+ market rather than the 18 and above should be relatively easy to achieve.

ITV won't be surrendering any commercially lucrative slots to accommodate this. There are parts of the schedule, particularly weekend daytime where the Ofcom concerns could be addressed by ITV.

It would be strange if the Ofcom intervention resulted in there being a greater requirement for childrens tv on commercial PSB ITV than on licence fee PSB BBC One.
JM
JamesM0984

Channel 4 could do something similar at 6pm pre Hollyoaks. As for Channel 5 the 5pm news is a stumbling block to overcome.

Not happening. It's taken ITV years to get that slot right since they lost Home and Away.
bilky asko, DE88 and Brekkie gave kudos

Newer posts