TV Home Forum

Childrens TV

OFCOM shows some mettle (July 2018)

JO
Johnr
As a kid in the 90s generally you had dial up Internet and would get sent to bed with no supper if you dared connect before off peak rates! (Generally pre 6pm) so you either went out to play or watched TV instead!

When broadband came along (we got a massive 512kb connection in 2001!) kids slowly but surely moved away from the TV as they now had flash games...and MSN Messenger!

These days of course you have 3 year old kids walking round with iPads!
JB
JasonB London London
Johnr posted:
As a kid in the 90s generally you had dial up Internet and would get sent to bed with no supper if you dared connect before off peak rates! (Generally pre 6pm) so you either went out to play or watched TV instead!

I just got an earful and an evening with no internet if i "accidentally" connected before 6pm.
Have you washed your hands?
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member Central (West) Midlands Today
JAS84 posted:
TCC didn't air as late as 8pm - none of the kids channels did in the analogue era, it's only when Sky Digital launched that they ever went past 7pm, and TCC didn't survive long enough to go onto digital.

Nickelodeon had a short period where they ran until 8pm and then later abandoned it. IIRC it was presented as a sort of "pirate" transmission (ie as in "we're not supposed to be here" and not featuring parrots on shoulder sort of pirate Wink)
JA
james-2001 Central (East) East Midlands Today
Johnr posted:

I had no internet in the 90s at all, dial up or otherwise Sad
CA
Caly123 Wales Wales Today
The last kids programming I remember on Channel 4 were the 5am or 6am repeats of The Hoobs in the early 2000's. They haven't shown any kids programming since to my recollection.

I remember Channel 4 showing The Treacle People and Cubeez during those hours.
Last edited by Caly123 on 26 July 2018 9:39am
CA
Caly123 Wales Wales Today
Two CITV shows are also airing on other networks: Horrid Henry for Nicktoons (which is currently part of the block 'The Loud Horrid Sponge' for the summer holidays which shows Horrid Henry, SpongeBob and The Loud House) and Wishfart for Cartoon Network.
RI
Riaz
But the point of the thread to get more orginal British content is vaild.

There's an overarching question whether Britain can actually produce more children's programmes that kids want to watch. Minecraft and civil aviation are not conventional genres of programmes for a children's TV channel.

I find it cause for concern how many CBBC and CITV programmes from the late 1990s and early 2000s are now obscure and largely forgotten with few (or even no) videos on YouTube or even mentions on the internet. It makes one wonder whether many kids enjoyed such programmes or even watched them, although I think that there are some unsung heroes here and there.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member Central (West) Midlands Today
Riaz posted:
But the point of the thread to get more orginal British content is vaild.

There's an overarching question whether Britain can actually produce more children's programmes that kids want to watch. Minecraft and civil aviation are not conventional genres of programmes for a children's TV channel.

Anything if presented inappropriately can become a "not conventional genre" for children's TV. Minecraft is unfortunately part of the scene now and is probably no more unconventional than Gamemaster was.

Quote:
I find it cause for concern how many CBBC and CITV programmes from the late 1990s and early 2000s are now obscure and largely forgotten with few (or even no) videos on YouTube or even mentions on the internet. It makes one wonder whether many kids enjoyed such programmes or even watched them, although I think that there are some unsung heroes here and there.

I hardly think the world's going to cave in just because nobody can remember a TV show that went out in 1999. The more likely explanation is that by this point and the explosion in TV channels and their need for content both new and old means there is SO much content out there and more being made every day that nobody will see anywhere near probably half of it in their lifetime. This situation will only get worse as time and more content is created.
RI
Riaz
Does anybody here have kids? If so then what sort of programmes do they want to watch?
JA
Jamesypoo Anglia (East) Look East
Riaz posted:
Does anybody here have kids?

As a rule, no.
JA
james-2001 Central (East) East Midlands Today
I have nephews and nieces if that counts Razz

And I have to suffer Nick Jr and Disney Junior when they're visiting, I could kill those Paw Patrol dogs.
JF
JetixFann450 Central Reporting Scotland
a sort of "pirate" transmission (ie as in "we're not supposed to be here" and not featuring parrots on shoulder sort of pirate Wink)

Was I the only one who thought of this when you said "pirate transmission"?

Do you even read these?

Newer posts