TV Home Forum

Top of the Pops

1990 on BBC Four (January 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DE
deejay

The thing that totally baffled me about the Star Bar is that it was an actual real bar, and every time they did anything from it they had to awkwardly pass microphones around and the acoustics were dreadful. It was if they'd built it and then forgotten it was supposed to be on television.

The Star Bar was originally a tea bar - the Red Tea Bar to be precise, between studios 1, 2 and 3. The original ring of studios 1-7 had three tea bars, red, green and blue, actually known as “Assemblies”, and we’re designed to be holding areas for artistes and crews while working in the studios. These days they’d be known as break out areas or something equally hipster. When I started at the centre in the mid 90s, the red tea bar still served tea from an enormous teapot, filter coffee and hot lunches of the shepherds pie variety, but it closed alas in the late 90s and was never the same again. Blue tea bar had no counter operating when I was there, just vending machines, and was the only one you could smoke in. Green had been rechristened “Strollers” and, being outside TC6 and 7, was often involved in Live and Kicking programmes. Strollers did great bacon baguettes in the morning and made to order sandwiches and lunchtimes. There were also several tea bars litters throughout the building, the East Tower, Stage V (White Tea Bar) and in the News Centre (Headlines outside the old N1/2 on the sixth floor, later the one near Stage VI was known as The Filling Station, hence The Killing Station on Twitter)

Red Tea Bar is of course the only one to survive the redevelopment of the centre and as far as I understand, has been retained as a break out area.

Anyway, back to Top of the Pops...
Dai Jestive, Woodpecker and DE88 gave kudos
SW
Steve Williams
Be interesting to see what was mentioned with the 1986 revamp, though BBC4 won't show the episode that was the last to use Yellow Pearl as it was a Mike Smith one, though as the Story of 86 shows it was mentioned in the following weeks show when Janice Long talked to Paul Hardcastle about the new theme tune.

They don't mention it much, really - on YouTube Smitty goes into the Top 10 by announcing "this is the last time you'll ever hear this music", but at the end they're more concerned with promoting Bruno Brookes taking over the Radio 1 Top 40 than the revamp. And the Paul Hardcastle chat is the only mention of it the following week.

Of course, aside from the new titles and theme tune, the bigger changes to Pops - the video playout, the short-lived chart rundown - had come a few weeks earlier, and as we'll see, Gary Davies refers to "a new look Top of the Pops" throughout. Surely the most feared phrase in the English language.
Dai Jestive, Woodpecker and DE88 gave kudos
SW
Steve Williams
Green had been rechristened “Strollers” and, being outside TC6 and 7, was often involved in Live and Kicking programmes. Strollers did great bacon baguettes in the morning and made to order sandwiches and lunchtimes.

And here is Green Assembly in all its glory on Swap Shop...

LL
Lottie Long-Legs
Just flipped through my copy of the episode and there's no mention of the new look the next week (nor was it even mentioned the following week either!). Seems strange to have a major revamp but not refer to it on the show at all. I do remember trailers at the time promoting it though. Always found it interesting TOTP2 were using the new logo from launch as well, several months before it appeared on the main show.

There were references to it, I recall - mention of a “few changes” (Eternal hosting springs to mind) - but let’s face it, it was merely cosmetic as the show was settled into a nice routine by then anyway.
BU
buster
Green had been rechristened “Strollers” and, being outside TC6 and 7, was often involved in Live and Kicking programmes. Strollers did great bacon baguettes in the morning and made to order sandwiches and lunchtimes.

And here is Green Assembly in all its glory on Swap Shop...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLi8A9WUb78

So much beige food in one place...
Dai Jestive, DE88 and deejay gave kudos
JA
james-2001
It wouldn't be the 80s if it wasn't beige.
Dai Jestive, DE88 and buster gave kudos
JA
james-2001
Going back to the earlier discussion about music video for Number 1 songs, I've just flipped to Now 80s, and they were showing a video for Tainted Love I've never seen before, with Marc Almond in a Toga. I knew the more familar video for the song was actually made for a re-release in 1991, but I didn't know this video had been made, seemingly at the time the song first came out judging by Marc's appearance. It never turned up on 1981 TOTP, that's for sure.

Noticed later TOTP presenter Mark Goodier is doing the voiceovers for the channel as well.

The technical quality seems quite poor though, with the videos badly cropped to 16:9 and what looks like interlacing issues on the A-Ha video they're showing as I type this. Vintage TV, which I usually watch these days, at least properly pillarbox most 4:3 content (though they have interlacing issues too).
UK
UKnews
Though I would have loved to have said 'Walk On' was also recorded that day, meaning that they would have debuted a nearly one year old performance of the song, it appears to be a different recording (with a similar lighting setup).

I'm not sure where that version of 'Walk On' was recorded, but can give a guess as to when- on or close to the night of 21st September 2001.

That was when the 'America: A Tribute to Heroes' telethon took place, during which U2 performed (an altered version of) 'Peace on Earth' leading in to 'Walk On'. The set is the same (minus the Top of the Pops logo) and it was captioned 'Live - London' on the original telethon broadcast (not on the version on YouTube, which is presumably from the DVD that was released). Given it went out about 2:30am (shown live here by BBC 1 amongst others) there is the possibility it was pre recorded, but I think everything else in that show was live. (Some great performances during that show, leading off with Bruce Springsteen's powerful version of 'My City of Ruins'.)

When it was shown on the 'back to Television Centre' edition of TOTP on 19th October I can remember Jimmy Saville mentioning that U2 were joined by Dave Stewart and Natalie Imbruglia, as they were for the 'America....' performance.

All of which, based on the listings for that episode, means that Natalie Imbruglia appeared twice - once on the pre-recorded U2 performance and also in the studio performing 'That Day'.
Last edited by UKnews on 26 July 2018 12:40pm - 3 times in total
TI
TIGHazard
Returning back to Time Will Crawl by David Bowie if I may, as I've been delving and seem to have discovered something that would seem to contradict the apparent story for why this Bowie song was never aired on TOTP.

The clip previously placed on these pages had been there for years and was not dated. However just a few days ago another upload of this performance has been placed on YT and dated as 18th June 1987, which was a Thursday TOTP day by the way. What makes this interesting is the fact that it's before the single Time Will Crawl had even entered the charts at all. That performance if on that date would have been in the week the song was released - Monday 15th June 1987. It then officially charted as announced on Radio 1 on Tuesday 23rd June (industry dated w/e 27th June).

But the narrative has been going that this was recorded but couldn't be used because it fell down the chart the next week. If it was done on 18th June 1987 this cannot be the truth of the matter. It could have been used on the next show on 25th June as a No40 hit or even a couple of weeks later on 2nd July as a No33 hit on the rise. So where does the truth really lie I wonder? If the 18th June date is correct then the BBC had ample chances to put this Bowie performance on the show - two chances while within the Top 40 per the show remit.

The person who's uploaded what they say is a BBC mastertape re-iterates the reason for the non appearance, and says that - "the single went down from it's previous position so it was dropped from the show". Well on 18th June it didn't have any previous position. It's all so easily verifiable once the date is known.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBrtznEbhIY

There's actually another Bowie TOTP performance that was never used - In this country anyway.

I have the first TOTP USA episode from the 25th September 87. In it, Bowie performs 'Never Let Me Down' in the US studio. Sadly while it was going up the US Charts, it was going down the UK one so it never got a showing.

While I'll be sharing the episode at the other place when it's time, here is the performance on YouTube if you want to see it.

Dai Jestive and DE88 gave kudos
:-(
A former member
The member requested removal of this post
Last edited by A former member on 27 March 2021 1:02am - 2 times in total
JA
james-2001
Is Mike Read releasing a remix of the UKIP Calypso any time soon? Razz
:-(
A former member
The member requested removal of this post
Last edited by A former member on 27 March 2021 12:58am