TV Home Forum

ITV abandons the South Bank

(February 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
WH
Whataday Founding member
Quote:

The London Studios: Home Of The Stars

Dickie Davies, Paul O’Grady, Michael Aspel, Holly Willoughby and Phillip Schofield are amongst the stars who pay tribute to ITV’s iconic London Studios in this one-off programme.

Hosted by Dermot O’Leary, the programme will takes viewers on a trip down memory lane, revisiting some of the best-loved shows filmed at the famous studios which has now closed its doors while the site undergoes a major revamp.

The careers of many household names, including host Dermot himself, began at the London Southbank studios and the programme has footage from some of the biggest shows made over the last 46 years, including classic shows like Blind Date, Metal Mickey, World of Sport, Aspel & Company, Upstairs, Downstairs, On The Buses, Father Ted, Lillie, Saturday Scene as well as more recent shows such as Lorraine, This Morning and Good Morning Britain.

Other special guests include Andi Peters, Ben Elton, Bradley Walsh, Clive Anderson, Danny Baker, Davina McCall, Eamonn Holmes, Francesca Annis, Hale and Pace, Gloria Hunniford, Jonathan Ross, Lorraine Kelly, Ruth Langsford, Sally James, Stephen Mulhern and Susanna Reid.

Speaking on her last day at The London Studios, Holly Willoughby tells the programme: “It is part of all of our lives, we have all watched ITV shows, whether it be as a child or now. My children are watching ITV shows made in this building and it’s a sad day.”
CH
chris
Sounds like a nice show, though not sure on the name: the line-up are hardly the biggest stars.
:-(
A former member
It better have Dame Edna Wink
SE
Square Eyes Founding member
chris posted:
Sounds like a nice show, though not sure on the name: the line-up are hardly the biggest stars.

There aren't that many big stars still alive.
WH
Whataday Founding member
chris posted:

Very curious as to who else you'd suggest? Seems a very thorough line up of anyone alive that's had involvement with the studios.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Sally James seems an odd choice of guest, I can't see any big connection with TLS/LWT for her. Her best known work was for ATV and before moving into presenting she acted for most of the regions who produced drama.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
chris posted:

Very curious as to who else you'd suggest? Seems a very thorough line up of anyone alive that's had involvement with the studios.

Trish Bertram and Glenn Thompsett seem to be missing Smile
Lou Scannon and DE88 gave kudos
RU
russty_russ
From an anorak inside me, I hope that it was once seen as home to LWT and not "ITV" since the 70s.
DE88 and London Lite gave kudos
SW
Steve Williams
Sally James seems an odd choice of guest, I can't see any big connection with TLS/LWT for her. Her best known work was for ATV and before moving into presenting she acted for most of the regions who produced drama.

Sally James presented Saturday Scene, which is mentioned in the previous paragraph, and which was quite important as a stepping stone to fully-fledged Saturday morning TV.
AN
Andrew Founding member
I’m not sure I like the idea of Dermot O’leary’s style of presenting hosting this, it’ll all be done in that ironic sarcastic style, I’d like to have seen someone maybe a bit older who is likely to talk about the older LWT stuff as if they’d actually watched it.
SW
Steve Williams
I’m not sure I like the idea of Dermot O’leary’s style of presenting hosting this, it’ll all be done in that ironic sarcastic style, I’d like to have seen someone maybe a bit older who is likely to talk about the older LWT stuff as if they’d actually watched it.

He's 45 years old! LWT had only been going for five years when he was born.
WH
Whataday Founding member

I think you're very wrong to presume that. Dermot is incredibly sincere when it comes to things like this, and is a bit of a nerd when it comes to TV history. He took part in the brilliant Fountain Studios documentary, and appeared genuinely moved when talking about being the final person to host a show there.
London Lite and Steve Williams gave kudos

Newer posts