TV Home Forum

Channel 4 to remain in London HQ

Three regional hubs, one of which will be a second HQ to be created, second news base to be set up (March 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
MA
Markymark

I clearly remember the sloping audience seating area having to be levelled up during my tour, I’m not sure if they used concrete or some sort of wooden construction. If I recall correctly, they used Marconi MKIX studio cameras (and Marconi’s version of the Ampex VPR machines). Cox T series presentation mixer etc. It wasn’t a big site from a technical perspective, I recall the mainly open plan office areas on at least one of the floors above as that’s where my interview took place albeit in a closed office room.

No it was all Sony C Format VTRs, BVH-1100 ( with bolt ons to enable automation control)

Thanks for the correction there (Apropos nothing, I always thought those machines were very ugly to look at!)

It must have been TV-am that had the Marconi machines which were to some extent automatically controlled too as they were used as part of some automatic break compilation software evening/overnight system. It wasn't altogether very successful at least in the early days, and the overtime bill was very high I understand for the engineers in VT. I recall the cameras were Marconi MkIX's and CDL vision mixers.

Thank goodness another job I didn't get! - although it looked a darn sight more interesting than C4.

Yes, I think TV-am was more or less a Marconi 'turn-key' install. C4 was a mixture, Marconi cams, and yes the 1100s were ugly beasts. Brookside also had 1100s I think, and Sony 300/330 cameras. That was an Kinloch (IPK) install I think ?
BL
bluecortina

No it was all Sony C Format VTRs, BVH-1100 ( with bolt ons to enable automation control)

Thanks for the correction there (Apropos nothing, I always thought those machines were very ugly to look at!)

It must have been TV-am that had the Marconi machines which were to some extent automatically controlled too as they were used as part of some automatic break compilation software evening/overnight system. It wasn't altogether very successful at least in the early days, and the overtime bill was very high I understand for the engineers in VT. I recall the cameras were Marconi MkIX's and CDL vision mixers.

Thank goodness another job I didn't get! - although it looked a darn sight more interesting than C4.

Yes, I think TV-am was more or less a Marconi 'turn-key' install. C4 was a mixture, Marconi cams, and yes the 1100s were ugly beasts. Brookside also had 1100s I think, and Sony 300/330 cameras. That was an Kinloch (IPK) install I think ?

Can't help you with IPK and Brookside, I know they did the LNN news installation and very professional and pleasant they were to.

49 days later

LL
Larry the Loafer
Mayor Joe Anderson has broken the news that Liverpool is no longer being considered by Channel 4 owing to sub-par transport links.
WH
Whataday Founding member
It's not due for completion for another year or two yet, but the Cardiff Bus Interchange development next to the new BBC Wales HQ would be a great location in Cardiff.

WH
Whataday Founding member
They've announced Birmingham, Greater Manchester and Leeds are shortlisted for National HQ or Creative Hub and Bristol, Cardiff and Glasgow shortlisted for Creative Hub only.
ST
Stuart
I may be making this rather simplistic, but in what way does a 'publisher broadcaster' such as C4 need to have different locations? Surely it's better to centralise your operations, no matter where that might be?

Why is there a need to even have a separate news studio location, when it contracts out its news operation to ITN?
IS
Inspector Sands
I may be making this rather simplistic, but in what way does a 'publisher broadcaster' such as C4 need to have different locations?

Because having a publisher broadcaster in a location attracts companies and people to that area to make the programmes. And the commissioning teams in that 'national HQ' will be getting ideas and talent that aren't London-based.

Quote:
Surely it's better to centralise your operations, no matter where that might be?

Centralising operations? Isn't that what everyone on this forum hates on ITV for doing? Confused

I suppose this is a response to centralisation by ITV and the BBC, before the ITV companies started merging and disappearing there were plenty of talent and ideas and programmes coming out of the places like Birmingham and Bristol

Quote:
Why is there a need to even have a separate news studio location, when it contracts out its news operation to ITN?

Because they've decided to have the news broadcast from an alternative location. Doesn't matter that someone else produces their news, presumably the second operation will be a part of the news contract from now on
IS
Inspector Sands
They've announced Birmingham, Greater Manchester and Leeds are shortlisted for National HQ or Creative Hub and Bristol, Cardiff and Glasgow shortlisted for Creative Hub only.

Well its got to be Cardiff or Glasgow, I can't imagine them not having a 'nation' represented.

I really think Manchester would be a mistake as there's lots of media there already. If they want geographic spread then it'll have to be Leeds as Bristol, Cardiff and Birmingham are all fairly close. The centre of gravity would still be quite southern
WH
Whataday Founding member
There are going to be two creative hubs, so I'd imagine it'll be Birmingham for the National HQ and Cardiff & Glasgow for Creative.
DE
DE88
Mayor Joe Anderson has broken the news that Liverpool is no longer being considered by Channel 4 owing to sub-par transport links.

I'm sure Phil Redmond is furious. Wink

Newer posts