The Newsroom

The Yorkshire and Lincolnshire Thread

(August 2004)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
KE
kernow
Thought it strange that Yorkshire TV logo and signs removed from the ITV Leeds building but not ITV in Norwich which still says Anglia Television

That's probably because Anglia House is a listed building.
DO
dosxuk
Thought it strange that Yorkshire TV logo and signs removed from the ITV Leeds building but not ITV in Norwich which still says Anglia Television

Nothing mentioned about the text on the building in the listing details - https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1051422 - but it may be that ITV don't want to prod Historic England too much and end up with a much stricter listing.
KE
kernow

Nothing mentioned about the text on the building in the listing details - https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1051422 - but it may be that ITV don't want to prod Historic England too much and end up with a much stricter listing.

There are normally restrictions on the type of signage which can be displayed on listed buidings, which should be in keeping with the building.

This is probably why the signage has not been changed, as the current signage is in keeping, whereas an ITV logo wouldn't be.

ITV would also have to apply for listed building consent each time they wanted to change the sign (i.e. following a rebrand).

If ITV got permission to change the sign, and then ITV was rebranded, and they didn't get permission to change the sign again, that would cause a problem, so is probably why it has never been changed, given the frequency of ITV rebrands over the last few years.
KE
kernow
Calendar dedicated most of the 2nd half of the programme to the 50th anniversary of Yorkshire Television. They had a 10 minute report about it, with more to come for the rest of the week.
ST
South Today
It certainly looks like Friday night is going to be a special edition. I wonder if they will escape the studio at all.
DO
dosxuk

There are normally restrictions on the type of signage which can be displayed on listed buidings, which should be in keeping with the building.

This is probably why the signage has not been changed, as the current signage is in keeping, whereas an ITV logo wouldn't be.

ITV would also have to apply for listed building consent each time they wanted to change the sign (i.e. following a rebrand).

If ITV got permission to change the sign, and then ITV was rebranded, and they didn't get permission to change the sign again, that would cause a problem, so is probably why it has never been changed, given the frequency of ITV rebrands over the last few years.

This is what I meant by not prodding Historic England. While it appears the current text isn't part of the listing, if they were to replace it with a modern logo, the listing may be looked at again, and a decision taken to list other building elements or even the entire building. At the moment they can pretty much do as they wish inside, but if they annoy Historic England, they could find themselves unable to do even minor changes in parts of the building the public never see.
AS
Asa Admin
Calendar dedicated most of the 2nd half of the programme to the 50th anniversary of Yorkshire Television. They had a 10 minute report about it, with more to come for the rest of the week.

I haven’t found it online, I imagine they probably aren’t uploading them to the website. Is anyone recording this week’s reports? Be interesting to see it.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
I am, but no means of capturing at the moment.
AN
Andrew Founding member

That is a historic listed building though, and the lettering is traditional in style and matches then style of the building.

I’d expect that Anglia Television lettering to stay on that building even if ITV moved out and someone else moved in.
SD
sda|

Here it is - a great retrospective on their early years. Includes a bit of First Night with Bob Monkhouse!
KE
kernow

This is what I meant by not prodding Historic England. While it appears the current text isn't part of the listing, if they were to replace it with a modern logo, the listing may be looked at again, and a decision taken to list other building elements or even the entire building. At the moment they can pretty much do as they wish inside, but if they annoy Historic England, they could find themselves unable to do even minor changes in parts of the building the public never see.

The entire building is listed. They need listed building consent for any alterations, including internal ones. They can't just "pretty much do as they wish inside".

The Norwich City Council website contains 16 planning applications for the building, including internal amendments, some of which were refused:

https://planning.norwich.gov.uk/online-applications/propertyDetails.do?activeTab=relatedCases&keyVal=0022EOLXLI000
IS
Inspector Sands
Was there a TV studio built in the 60s,70s or 80s that wasn't described as 'the most technologically advanced in Europe'?

Newer posts