The Newsroom

CNN International & Domestic

(January 2006)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
CI
cityprod
Jarv posted:
I would like to see CNN US broadcast in the UK

Why? Aren't there enough simulcasts as it is?

The US only output is largely opinionated and like Fox News would have a niche audience in comparison to CNNi which is broader in scope.

To say that CNN is opinionated is accurate to a point, but compared to Fox News, you've got Fox going all insane in the membrane, whilst CNN's opinion programming is incredibly tame. Fox News has a more niche audience compared to CNN, but yes, CNNI is broader.

I wouldn't mind seeing CNN and HLN in the UK, as well as CNNI.
LL
London Lite Founding member
Jarv posted:

The US only output is largely opinionated and like Fox News would have a niche audience in comparison to CNNi which is broader in scope.

To say that CNN is opinionated is accurate to a point, but compared to Fox News, you've got Fox going all insane in the membrane, whilst CNN's opinion programming is incredibly tame. Fox News has a more niche audience compared to CNN, but yes, CNNI is broader.

Regardless of CNN's political leanings, it's still opinionated output, a sad direction US news channels have gone down to maintain advertisers.

HLN is ok, but news content is limited with Forensic Files padding evenings and weekends.
CI
cityprod

Regardless of CNN's political leanings, it's still opinionated output, a sad direction US news channels have gone down to maintain advertisers.

HLN is ok, but news content is limited with Forensic Files padding evenings and weekends.

The definition now of something being political, seems to be simply that both sides disagree on something. Yet, if one side is quoting facts, and the other is quoting fiction, that's not political, that's just one side being insane, and disagreeing with the facts for the sake of it. That's not politics, that's insanity.

In my view, there's no politics anymore, because the Republicans are just making stuff up, constantly, to support their agenda. At least the Democrats use actual evidence to back up their contentions, not just making up **** because reality doesn't match their viewpoint.

On a scale of 0-10 for being opinionated, CNN is about a 3, where FOX News is about 273. Fox is so far off the scale that the only sane viewpoint is to think that FOX News has legitimately lost their minds, if they ever really had them to begin with.
RK
Rkolsen

The definition now of something being political, seems to be simply that both sides disagree on something. Yet, if one side is quoting facts, and the other is quoting fiction, that's not political, that's just one side being insane, and disagreeing with the facts for the sake of it. That's not politics, that's insanity.

In my view, there's no politics anymore, because the Republicans are just making stuff up, constantly, to support their agenda. At least the Democrats use actual evidence to back up their contentions, not just making up **** because reality doesn't match their viewpoint.

On a scale of 0-10 for being opinionated, CNN is about a 3, where FOX News is about 273. Fox is so far off the scale that the only sane viewpoint is to think that FOX News has legitimately lost their minds, if they ever really had them to begin with.

Try watching Judge Jeanine (whose like Ri Chun-hee) and read about her confrontation at The View.

Here’s a report from Murdoch owned PageSix. Here’s a report from a seperate publication Esquire which is one of the few that didn’t come from Fox or any right wing paper or site.
BF
BFGArmy
Jarv posted:

We get quite a lot of CNN US as is on CNNI - AC360, Cuomo's show, CNN Tonight, New Day, Wolf etc are all simulcast on CNN International and we probably get more US content than international bulletins at weekends (US Newsroom editions, SOTU and for some reason Reliable Sources - because of course a show about US media is what international viewers want rather than an international news bulletin).

With all the simulcasts, it's a shame we don't get The Lead which seems one of the better US shows - but is rarely on CNNI unless it's a major event. I'd much rather that than Wolf.

I'd prefer to have some more US simulcasts at weekend though instead of the endless canned programming CNNI does - seems like hour upon hour of them and it can't be much fun for the international anchors twiddling their thumbs for hour upon hour while CNN airs MainSail or Inside Africa for the 20th time.
DV
dvboy
Would love to see The Lead also but they'd need to move Quest Means Business for it.
SI
silvercowards
Anyone remember a show called Global Exchange presented by the Middle East/Emerging Markets Editor, John Defterios? It was on from 2011 to 2013 but suddenly stopped and John Defterios rarely comes.

I heard it's due to early sex scandal by John but I'm not sure about this
BF
BFGArmy
Global Exchange was something that would've worked OK as a weekly show but it was a terrible idea to do a daily show about emerging markets - seemed far too niche. And John Defterious getting a show while experienced, talented anchors like Fionnuala Sweeney and Jim Clancy were stuck on fill-in duty was ridiculous.
Most of the anchors on CNNI are still pretty good - Hala, Michael Holmes, Rosemary Church all spring to mind - but the likes of Finnuoula, Monita, Ralitsa and co. are missed.
CI
cityprod

Try watching Judge Jeanine (whose like Ri Chun-hee) and read about her confrontation at The View.

Here’s a report from Murdoch owned PageSix. Here’s a report from a seperate publication Esquire which is one of the few that didn’t come from Fox or any right wing paper or site.

I have watched Judge Jeannie, or attempted to, several times, and I find her insane ranting on air to be just another reason why FOX News is way off the scale in terms of being opinionated. Whoopi can be very strongly opinionated too, and that's why they clashed, cos they come from opposite sides of the political spectrum. In terms of making television, these two clashing was about as predictable as the sunrise. I don't see it as a big deal.
AD
addlestones
How Judge Jeannie disrespected the great Whoopi and the audience of The View was disgusting and then to go parading on Fox as if the 'left' has a problem. This is someone who has accepted money from Trump so the apple doesn't fall far from the tree! The likes of Hannity, Ingraham and Pirro need to give up with the propaganda and just work at the WH with the other loonies.
CH
Charles
Global Exchange was something that would've worked OK as a weekly show but it was a terrible idea to do a daily show about emerging markets - seemed far too niche. And John Defterious getting a show while experienced, talented anchors like Fionnuala Sweeney and Jim Clancy were stuck on fill-in duty was ridiculous.
Most of the anchors on CNNI are still pretty good - Hala, Michael Holmes, Rosemary Church all spring to mind - but the likes of Finnuoula, Monita, Ralitsa and co. are missed.

Wow, I forgot about that show. Didn't they demote him after they found about him doing some questionably unethical business with other governments on the side?

The Abu Dhabi thing on CNNI has never sat well with me. It's a sham deal with the UAE if you ask me, and it's pretty clear the bureau there is just for show.
EX
excel99
Wow, I forgot about that show. Didn't they demote him after they found about him doing some questionably unethical business with other governments on the side?

The questionable arrangements were exposed shortly before the launch of Global Exchange
http://www.sarawakreport.org/2011/08/fbc-media-scandal-growing-questions-for-cnns-john-defterios-2/
http://cnnpressroom.blogs.cnn.com/2011/11/01/cnn-international-focuses-on-emerging-markets-with-launch-of-%E2%80%98global-exchange%E2%80%99/

Newer posts