The Newsroom

Presenters and Rostas

Did Moira ever lead the Six O'Clock News? (July 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DE
DE88
I loved the opening to the early evening weekend/bank holidays bulletins in the virtual era. It was my favourite theme of that time.

I didn't, to me it was like a "mickey take" to the superb nine theme. They should have used the six theme for early evening weekend bulletins just like they used the nine theme for late weekend bulletins.

I wouldn't say it was a "mickey take" - the Nine theme *was* used for all weekend and bank holiday bulletins from 1988-93, after all.

Worst of the '93 re-recordings, IMO, is that of the One theme. Tries too hard compared to the original, and even the familiar nine-note fanfare comes out wrong (plus it isn't at the start).

On the other hand, the re-re-recording of the Breakfast News theme (the 1989 version was itself a re-recording, of course) isn't too bad - can't really fault a combination of orchestra and electric guitar. Too bad the Beeb didn't really bother competing with Chris Evans, Eamonn Holmes et al during this period.

watchingtv and Woodpecker gave kudos
SW
Steve Williams
DE88 posted:
As the one sensible YouTube commenter says, this bulletin was "clearly a leftover from the old days of News on 2/Newsview etc." And until the May '99 relaunch, it was usually presented by Moira. Wink

This always seemed a bit of a strange bulletin in the schedule. Up until the mid-eighties there were a few regular bulletins on BBC2 - one at about half past five on weeknights and a late one at weekends. But then, presumably coinciding with the launch of the daytime summaries - which were on BBC2 in the afternoons - they abandoned these.

As you say, NewsView carried on for a few years - there's one on YouTube from I think 1989 where they're still using the old pre-1988 graphics - but then at the turn of the nineties it just became a straightforward news bulletin. And that carried on for the entire nineties, and outside the afternoon summaries, it was the only "proper" news bulletin on BBC2 all week. There wasn't anything particularly special about it other than it had quite a long sports bulletin in it - maybe that was the only reason they kept it on.
JO
Joe
I've enjoyed this thread – which I didn't expect to, given its title.
Last edited by Joe on 14 July 2018 11:17pm
JW
JamesWorldNews
Joe posted:
I've enjoyed this thread – which I didn't expect to, given its title.

Moira? Or rosta?

113 days later

MC
mccanmat
DE88 posted:
Genome suggests that Paxo presented the Six between October 1984 and May 1985 - and that Philip first presented the bulletin later in May '85, with Andrew following in July.

Frances, meanwhile, only presented between February and November 1986. Of course, she was one of the main presenters on the News After Noon - as, indeed, was Moira. Wink

It wasn’t until October 1986 when the first edition of 6 o’clock news was not presented by neither Sue Lawley and/or Nicholas Witchell- and it was Andrew Harvey and Frances Coverdale. Sue and Frances did the first female double header on it
MA
Markyboy81
DE88 posted:
Genome suggests that Paxo presented the Six between October 1984 and May 1985 - and that Philip first presented the bulletin later in May '85, with Andrew following in July.

Frances, meanwhile, only presented between February and November 1986. Of course, she was one of the main presenters on the News After Noon - as, indeed, was Moira. Wink

It wasn’t until October 1986 when the first edition of 6 o’clock news was not presented by neither Sue Lawley and/or Nicholas Witchell- and it was Andrew Harvey and Frances Coverdale. Sue and Frances did the first female double header on it
MA
Markyboy81
That surely cannot be correct. Did the Six O'clock news not begin in 1984? Therefore Sue and Nick had no annual leave for two years?
RN
Rolling News
I'm sure he meant 1986 was the first time where neither presented. As in up until then at least one or the other would always present. So they would have had holiday just not at the same time.
IT
itsrobert Founding member
That surely cannot be correct. Did the Six O'clock news not begin in 1984? Therefore Sue and Nick had no annual leave for two years?

I don't know the answer, but maybe they didn't have time off at the same time?
MC
mccanmat
Yes I meant it was 1986 before the first 6 o clock news that didn’t feature either of them
RI
Richard
I loved the opening to the early evening weekend/bank holidays bulletins in the virtual era. It was my favourite theme of that time.

I didn't, to me it was like a "mickey take" to the superb nine theme. They should have used the six theme for early evening weekend bulletins just like they used the nine theme for late weekend bulletins.

In the previous era the “Nine” titles were used for all generic weekend/bank holiday bulletins. This was even true for the short Saturday lunchtime bulletin, although it was a shortened version. Anyone know of a copy online?

Before that, the horizontal lines look which had been the basis of the early 80s Nine titles had remained in use (albeit with a blue background rather than red).
JK
JKDerry

In the previous era the “Nine” titles were used for all generic weekend/bank holiday bulletins. This was even true for the short Saturday lunchtime bulletin, although it was a shortened version. Anyone know of a copy online?

Before that, the horizontal lines look which had been the basis of the early 80s Nine titles had remained in use (albeit with a blue background rather than red).

The 1988-1993 generic titles was used for the Nine, weekend and bank holiday news programmes, with abridged version usually used for their breakfast news summary on a Saturday at 7.25am. Here is an example of the abridged version from the launch of their breakfast news summary in 1991 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHEkooy_Ycc

Newer posts