TV Home Forum

The Sport Thread

For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own (July 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
IS
Inspector Sands
They have a League of Their Own US special on at the same time as the match though... odd scheduling
DV
dvboy
I note that Sky One have scheduled a Sky Sports News simulcast from 4-6pm today. Don’t appear to be doing it any other day so assume it’s just been scheduled to provide build up to the England match?

Must have been a last minute change, not a bad idea.
RO
robertclark125
There was a piece on the front on the Racing Post today, with regards to the Sky Sports Racing deal for non FTA rights to Ascot. It quoted an insider at ITV saying they were a bit "disappointed" at the deal. A columnist also questioned whether ITV would still be committed to racing, after their rights end in 2020. Negotiations don't start until sometime next year on the FTA racing deal, or what I would call the non "dedicated racing channel" deals.

One has to wonder if Channel 4 will make a pitch for the rights again. But, ITV would surely want to try to carry on as well.
HC
Hatton Cross
I can sort of see ITV's point of view.

At the moment Ascot is behind a 'higher' pay wall with RUK (I.e specific to subscribe to rather than some channel bundled in a package) whereas from next year there is a higher chance of loosing viewers to Sky Sports Racing, who will be giving it hysterical cross channel promotions at every opportunity.

I hope ITV don't get 'bored' with horse racing and it goes back to Channel 4.
They have moved the coverage on by miles, explain terminology to the non race-goer in an accessible manner, and don't treat the knowledgeable racing fans like idiots.

Wonder if the BBC might take another look at the rights. Only occasional clashes with other sports on a Saturday afternoon, and a good chance to roll the coverage from the racing, straight into Final Score.
BR
Brekkie
BBC would probably be a step back. ITV have the inclusivity C4 Racing used to have (before they ruined it) and as long as it pays.
RO
robertclark125
I think myself the BBC lost interest in racing, cutting down by 2012 to just 13 days of Racing a year.

Is it possible that, when the rights come up for renewal, the FTA rights, some courses could stay on ITV, some may switch to Channel 4?
BR
Brekkie
I doubt it now - they packaged them together in 2013 and I think it'll remain that way. Racing appreciates it's free to air presence and splitting the rights risks losing the breadth of coverage it currently has.
BM
BM11
I doubt it now - they packaged them together in 2013 and I think it'll remain that way. Racing appreciates it's free to air presence and splitting the rights risks losing the breadth of coverage it currently has.

Racing would probably suffer economic problems without FTA coverage. Unlike most sports it need's people watching to get the bets in.
JM
JamesM0984
BM11 posted:
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jul/10/parliament-future-world-cups-free-to-air-tv
Debate being held later this week regarding the possibility that the 2030 world cup could be partially Pay TV.

That would be suicidal. Although Sky, BT etc. would make a ton from subscriptions, the wider economy would lose out with many unable to join in the fun.

Needs to stay FTA.
BM
BM11
BM11 posted:
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/jul/10/parliament-future-world-cups-free-to-air-tv
Debate being held later this week regarding the possibility that the 2030 world cup could be partially Pay TV.

That would be suicidal. Although Sky, BT etc. would make a ton from subscriptions, the wider economy would lose out with many unable to join in the fun.

Needs to stay FTA.

Pubs would like it prehaps as more people would go to pubs to watch.
And for many other ways of watching will be found anyway.
BM
BM11
I wonder how much attention England nations league matches being on Sky will get. I fell like it will be quite heavily as it has been years since an England match was not FTA and the Nations league matches are against Spain and Croatia which will mean they will get more buildup in the press than an ordinary qualifier or friendly would get.
MY
MY83
BM11 posted:
. I fell like it will be quite heavily as it has been years since an England match was not FTA

2009 IIRC when Ukraine v England was a PPV internet only broadcast; although I seem to remember a more recent example where perhaps BT or Premier had some odd friendly for some reason

Newer posts