Mass Media & Technology

Off Air Broadcast Feeds

Is there a way to access Off Air Feeds from UK Live Shows? (June 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NG
noggin Founding member
i imagine the person pressing the buttons in the gallery must be a cool, calm and collected person, the director must be at them all the time.

That's not the case at all (the 'at them' bit - VMs are always cool!). Most directors and VMs/TDs have a very collaborative working relationship. US and Aussie directors are often a bit shoutier than Brits, but that's a national characteristic, tied in with a slightly different TV culture.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
I imagine VM to Director is not an uncommon career path?
NG
noggin Founding member
I imagine VM to Director is not an uncommon career path?

VM to director isn't unheard of (particularly in News) - but PA/Script Sup, FM and Cam Sup to director are a bit more widespread as routes outside of News.
WH
Whataday Founding member
One afternoon in the early 00's someone found a channel they could manually add on Sky which had the studio feeds of several live programmes, changing throughout the day including an ITV show (which escapes me but possibly Today with Des & Mel) and Channel 4's Richard & Judy.

You could see and hear everything during the ad breaks and it seemed like R&J had a row as they didn't say two words to each other.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
I might have some of that on VHS somewhere. I seem to recall it was the output from LNN early doors, which seemed to get parked on a view of the Thames between the GMTV bulletins, and I think there was also the rehearsal of Richard and Judy on there too.
HA
harshy Founding member
I might have some of that on VHS somewhere. I seem to recall it was the output from LNN early doors, which seemed to get parked on a view of the Thames between the GMTV bulletins, and I think there was also the rehearsal of Richard and Judy on there too.

I remember some itn feeds also on that same circuit.
NG
noggin Founding member
Wasn't that a Eurobird 28.5 transponder that was used for news contributions now and again (and because News usually use the consumer 4:2:0 rather than the broadcast 4:2:2 format Sky boxes could decode them)
CO
commseng
There are a couple of ad hoc channels on Astra at 28.2°E, I have used them.
It's quite unusual to pan up to such a hot satellite and then focus in on the empty space that you'll be using.
Plus the off air signal is already there!
MA
mapperuo
BBC News used 28.2 quite a lot for the 2015 GE, Was all 16APSK though.
IS
Inspector Sands
Yes, I believe its a transponder that isn't suitable for broadcast use. I can't remember why, or whether it's by accident or design
ST
Ste Founding member
12683H and 12692H are often used on 28.2 for Sky Rugby league and cricket feeds. Mostly encrypted but sometimes FTA or video FTA with encrypted audio.
MA
mapperuo
Ste posted:
12683H and 12692H are often used on 28.2 for Sky Rugby league and cricket feeds. Mostly encrypted but sometimes FTA or video FTA with encrypted audio.

I can pick up 12682 H right now with my 60cm Sky Dish! Expected to have to point the larger dish at it for an OB feed.

Newer posts