The Newsroom

South West England & CI Thread

MA
Markymark Meridian (Thames Valley) South Today
I'm pretty sure that Meridian/South Today has the far better claim to Salisbury than West Country/Points West does. I thought that the same would be true of Amesbury, and can't believe that it's 50:50 split.

Apart from when the solstices and equinoxes happen, I'm sure that Salisbury getting mentioned on the Brizzle news programmes is rarer than rocking-horse sh!t. But they were all over the Skripals story as if Salisbury were the beating heart of the West of England region.

We've got friends in Amesbury, they use Rowridge, but Sky is mapped to the West region.

Here's a random street in the town, mostly Mendip for aerials

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.1709928,-1.7759056,3a,20.7y,331.69h,99.63t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sfU2qymPuqhItaED09jvh5A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

However, yes you're right, Salisbury is solidly the South region, it's the city's relay, or Rowridge there
LS
Lou Scannon West Country (East) Points West
I had always assumed that if you were to divide Wiltshire into sixths (NW, NE, W, E, SW and SE), then the majority of viewership in much of E and SE would be Rowridge/Hannington. I would have placed the imaginary "border" passing somewhere between Devizes and Upavon.

Perhaps not, then.
MA
I had always assumed that if you were to divide Wiltshire into sixths (NW, NE, W, E, SW and SE), then the majority of viewership in much of E and SE would be Rowridge/Hannington. I would have placed the imaginary "border" passing somewhere between Devizes and Upavon.

Perhaps not, then.

I think Amesbury is just in a 'sweet spot' for Mendip, (and a hole for Rowridge). Areas further north and west are indeed Rowridge or Hannington.

Points West were certainly going to town this morning, they even mentioned cul-de-sacs on the affected housing estate that are closed to traffic on the travel news Rolling Eyes , (but nothing about the M4/M5/M32 etc) !

(I'm on holiday at present, in another out of area Mendip 'sweet spot' a valley near Bridport on the Dorset coast) No mention of anything going on here Very Happy
LS
Surely you can't get a Mendip signal in the Bridport area?! Shocked

The editorial boundary I'm sure would stretch no further south than circa Sherborne. (BBC at least, who are pretty strict about these things. ITV West Country is so wooly about its sub-regions that Weymouth sometimes crops up on the "HTV" edition!)
Last edited by Lou Scannon on 5 July 2018 6:43pm
MA
Surely you can't get a Mendip signal in the Bridport area?! Shocked

Ta da !

https://www.google.com/maps/@50.7327694,-2.7923457,3a,75y,18.45h,91.48t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sXDMdont54d8JJi5fnvY_yQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

The area west of Bridport can't see Stockland Hill, or the Bridport and Chideock relays. Mendip storms in however, including the SDL DAB mux, so I can still hear Jazz FM Cool
ST
Stuart West Country (West) Spotlight
Alfresco ending to Spotlight this evening . . . making the most of the weather (and the weather presenter's choice of location).
ST
South Today
Superb! I love how David always does his cheeky wave at the end of the programme carrying on the tradition by Craig Rich.
ST
Very nice patriotic introduction at the end of the title sequence on tonight's Spotlight . . .
Quatorzine Neko and fusionlad gave kudos
ST
South Today
Superb! Any chance of a video please?
ST

Sorry, it's already gone from the Sky box. Surprised
ST
South Today

Sorry, it's already gone from the Sky box. Surprised

Ahhh no problem. Thanks for the reply though.
LS
With the return of normal scheduling post-W*rld C*p & W*mbledon (can you tell that I'm no sports fan?), I wonder whether Charlie/Chuck Powell will finally make his on-screen debut on ITV News West Country weather? Bob Crampton's farewell must've been couple of weeks ago, or so.

Newer posts