« Topics
Why?
JackTheTellyFan gave kudos
JKDerry1,526 posts since 15 Oct 2016
UTV Newsline
I think they should have rebranded to an ITV Northern Ireland with this move.

I'm sure that will be coming in the fullness of time, but "slowly, slowly, catchy monkey".

UTV is the name they bought and it is staying. They would have dumped it much faster, than waiting nearly two years by now. UTV will remain.

UTV name is perfect for Northern Ireland, as it can be used easily for people on both sides of the political divide. BBC use Northern Ireland because they are the state broadcaster.

UTV always worked the fact that names mean everything in Northern Ireland. We are the only part of the UK where your surname can sometimes determine whether you are a Catholic or Protestant according to comedian Jake O'Kane.
JamesM0984
Central (East) East Midlands Today
I think if, or when, STV is purchased and the long-awaited goal of a single ITV is a reality, we will see the remaining regional brands phased out. For now, it makes sense to keep them separate.
DE88681 posts since 8 Jan 2017
UTV Newsline
I think they should have rebranded to an ITV Northern Ireland with this move.

I'm sure that will be coming in the fullness of time, but "slowly, slowly, catchy monkey".

UTV is the name they bought and it is staying. They would have dumped it much faster, than waiting nearly two years by now. UTV will remain.

How can you be so sure? Even if ITV never drop the name, it won't be around *forever*... Wink Wink
"Channel 5! The channel that brings you England goals!" -- Jonathan Pearce, 31 May 1997

On hiatus from 1 January 2019. Perhaps I take the drawbacks of the written word *too* seriously.
ittrgrey and Alex Plain-Later gave kudos
Lou Scannon1,050 posts since 1 Jan 2016
HTV West Points West
I can only assume that those people who don't happen to like the prospect of the UTV name being killed off at any point ever think that by stating for a "fact" that they've looked into their crystal ball and that they "know" that it "definately" will "never" be killed off (for make-it-up-as-you-go-along "reasons" such as because it's not yet happened within a certain timescale (that they alone have invented, and isn't determined by e.g. any true insider knowledge etc)), that will somehow make it true.

I make no claim to "know" for a fact of any plans that ITV plc may or may not have about ditching the UTV name in the future. It's just difficult to imagine that a consolidated entity such as ITV plc wouldn't ultimately want everything that they own to be absorbed under the parent brand. I'm prepared to be proved wrong, but think it highly unlikely that the UTV name will still be going in, say, 5-10 years' time.

Oh, look... I can manage to say things like "I'm prepared to be proved wrong", as opposed to being all arrogant shout-you-down bluster and opinion-as-"fact" (which is how those who are so convinced that the UTV name will never go seem to exclusively express themselves. Like a right buch of Nigel Farages).
Last edited by Lou Scannon on 2 July 2018 8:25pm - 2 times in total
I'm still a European.
Spencer For Hire and ittrgrey gave kudos