« Topics
JKDerry1,696 posts since 15 Oct 2016
UTV Newsline
Well the inevitable has happened. UTV News will be getting a set very similar to the English and Welsh regions on ITV News. They are moving into a fraction of the size of Havelock House, and this really is it. On the UTV Facebook page, the little glimpse showed the "soft" area of the studio used for UTV Life etc, and then the small news desk area, and that is it.

UTV are paying the price for the disaster that was UTV Ireland. If they had have kept their nose out of the Irish television market, all of this might never have happened, as UTV were always fiercely independent, like STV in Scotland, now STV are the only true independent franchise from the older ITV era left.
Whataday9,967 posts since 13 Sep 2001
HTV Wales Wales Today
Well the inevitable has happened. UTV News will be getting a set very similar to the English and Welsh regions on ITV News. They are moving into a fraction of the size of Havelock House, and this really is it. On the UTV Facebook page, the little glimpse showed the "soft" area of the studio used for UTV Life etc, and then the small news desk area, and that is it.

UTV are paying the price for the disaster that was UTV Ireland. If they had have kept their nose out of the Irish television market, all of this might never have happened, as UTV were always fiercely independent, like STV in Scotland, now STV are the only true independent franchise from the older ITV era left.

Your first sentence is correct. It was INEVITABLE. But very little to do with UTV Ireland.

The economics of local television has changed. UTV was using horrendously old equipment in a huge old building. The quality will be far higher with smaller, more modern facilities, and it's about time UTV caught up with the rest of the network.

I'm sorry, I know I sound like an ITV press release, and I get the nostalgia and how people on here sometimes detest change, but it's absolutely true. ITV Wales was in a very similar situation to UTV and the output is far better than it was when they were rattling around Culverhouse Cross.

It's a far better environment for staff to be working in too.
bkman1990, London Lite and 5 others
  • Stuart
  • Austin Tatious
  • chinamug
  • gottago
  • Brekkie
gave kudos
dbl9,189 posts since 11 Jun 2004
London London
the little glimpse showed the "soft" area of the studio used for UTV Life etc, and then the small news desk area, and that is it.

UTV in 2018 doesn't need Havelock House's space. Plus the technology has moved on.
London Lite and Austin Tatious gave kudos
JKDerry1,696 posts since 15 Oct 2016
UTV Newsline
the little glimpse showed the "soft" area of the studio used for UTV Life etc, and then the small news desk area, and that is it.

UTV in 2018 doesn't need Havelock House's space. Plus the technology has moved on.

Yes, and that is because ITV have given up on any programming being made outside London or Salford. Local programming has truly died on ITV, no surprise since the 1990 broadcasting act changed ITV for the worse, it was always going to happen.
South Today2,736 posts since 10 Feb 2003

Yes, and that is because ITV have given up on any programming being made outside London or Salford. Local programming has truly died on ITV, no surprise since the 1990 broadcasting act changed ITV for the worse, it was always going to happen.

UTV actually still do make a good range of regional programmes - the weekly political programme, Pammie's UTV Life, Lesser spotted journeys, Close Up investigative specials, Rare Breed and Paul & Nick's big food trips to name a few. The latter I was surprised they continued to make following the itv takeover.
No further posts are being accepted for this topic