TV Home Forum

Good Evening Britain

Coming June 28th. Split from Good Morning Britain (June 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
EE
EdExcel
I for one would like to see ITV have another go at producing 'Good Evening Britain'. For me, like for many in this forum - there were too many guests for an hour and strictly following the daytime offering - did not best translate to primetime. That being said, I don't think it was a complete disaster or mess! Piers and Susanna are equally as compelling viewing at night, as they are in the morning and if the right tweaks were made to the show - this could actually be a winner.

Far from needing to do the impossible (rein Piers Morgan in), I really thought the show could have used a studio audience - to provide some energy and a bit more immediacy to proceeding. In many ways, I think if this were to be re-commissioned as a show for a one-off, it would be good to take some notes from Ten's 'The Project' - which I would have thought would have been a good format for a post World-Cup show and made good use of the great set and its heavy emphasis on the desk.

All in all, not perfect - but there are bare bones that could be used to construct something that actually could prove to be much more formidable, competitive and dare I say it - entertaining!
HC
Hatton Cross
Do they have any reason to have a clock generator that runs 24 hours when it's never normally going to be running in the afternoon anyway... or even past 8:30 AM.

Because a clock generator runs all the time, and not dependent its on air or not?

I mean, the watch on my wrist does not stop displaying the time, even though I'm not looking at it all the time.

I'd guess it's a similar principle with the GMB clock. Rolling Eyes

You know exactly what I meant- that they probably don't feel they need a generator that displays the time in 24 hour format when it's never normally going to be used on air in the afternoon. No need to be so sarcy.

I'll be sarcy if I want.
James. Think about it. ITV have a graphics system, which includes a clock generator. It will have all the times already programming into it in both 12/24h formats.
All the times are there, it's just that you only see it display 06.00 - 09.20. Nothing about 'specially' designing it for Good Evening Britain. You saw the output of the clock generator last night, at a later time.
AA
Aaron_2015
Piers’ celebration on Twitter isn’t just a bit of tabloid spin, it’s a blatant misrepresentation of the facts. The peak he quoted was for the adverts before the program, GEB actually started with 4.2m, and dropped like a stone throughout the hour. 2.91m isn’t really anything to be proud of, and I don’t think it would be worth bringing the show back again. The amount of effort put in by the team shows that they are clearly hoping that the show will be picked up permanently. GEB also had a lot of promotion, from trailers to media interviews. So whilst they succeeded in going viral, the viewing figures aren’t exactly a cause for celebration.
DE
derek500
Don't forget that BARB's ratings are based on being in a room with a TV on. Many won't have been watching at all!!

I'm not sure that's true.

I'm sure it is.

From the BARB website FAQs

How is television viewing defined?
Panel members, or their guests, are defined to be viewing when they are present in a room with a television set switched on.
CB
ChipperBird
I liked GEB - do generally agree it would of been much better to have some proper structure. Also Pamela was a terrible guest choice. Her interview wasn't really fun and mostly just consisted of her complaining that she thought this was a "serious affair" or Piers awkwardly tying the discussion to football - it didn't work and it was a shame considering I did actually like her "Pier's Life Stories" episode.

But I did kind of like the informal chatty aspect, I think it would of been nicer to have a politics round table bit. That said all things considered the informal chill feel of it actually almost had enjoyable political discussion for a change which was almost refreshing.

But yes biggest issue for GEB was it being a fairly slow news day and England didn't quite deliver. But I still liked it way more than say - any edition of the Nightly show. Also hats off to the behind-the-scenes crew, the studio and graphics looked *really* nice and slick. Reminds me of when I tuned into Daybreak on launch series and oohed at the nice set...before it turned out the presenters were dull as ditchwater.
WH
Whataday Founding member
I liked GEB - do generally agree it would of been much better to have some proper structure.

Always a good strategy for a television programme.
Custard56, Hatton Cross and Colorband gave kudos
GO
gottago
Only seen bits of this but have got to say the opening music remix was truly appalling. My jaw dropped as I heard it. How anyone could have signed it off is beyond me.
:-(
A former member
The member requested removal of this post
Stuart, DE88 and Custard56 gave kudos
JM
JamesM0984
The only thing that went viral was Danny Dyer saying horrible things about Mr Cameron.

If Piers had his own, post-news nightly show, do you know what - it might, just might, work. But the only way Good Evening Britain will work is if it takes in the late news and effectively becomes a news-cum-magazine show. Half an hour of news then move onto softer stuff.

Didn't see the point of Corbyn either. He's the Millennials' Poster Boy, promising to reopen the sweetie shop that blew up about a decade ago. But his followers would, again, have been mostly watching Love Island on 2! Bad scheduling really. It could have been counter programming to Love Island, but by going after a Millennial audience with the Labour love-in, they were fighting a losing battle, like, with the kids watching ITV2, like, oh my God like.
MY
MY83
Was that a particularly strong brand of cooking sherry you were slurping overnight?
WH
Whataday Founding member

Because a clock generator runs all the time, and not dependent its on air or not?

I mean, the watch on my wrist does not stop displaying the time, even though I'm not looking at it all the time.

I'd guess it's a similar principle with the GMB clock. Rolling Eyes

You know exactly what I meant- that they probably don't feel they need a generator that displays the time in 24 hour format when it's never normally going to be used on air in the afternoon. No need to be so sarcy.

I'll be sarcy if I want.
James. Think about it. ITV have a graphics system, which includes a clock generator. It will have all the times already programming into it in both 12/24h formats.
All the times are there, it's just that you only see it display 06.00 - 09.20. Nothing about 'specially' designing it for Good Evening Britain. You saw the output of the clock generator last night, at a later time.

Although to be fair, the only time in the past that the clock went beyond 10am, it didn't sit properly, so there has been some redesigning of the clock.
DB
dbl
The only thing that went viral was Danny Dyer saying horrible things about Mr Cameron.

It may have been abrasive, but he had a point hence why it got the buzz it did.
james-2001 and AlexEdohHD13 gave kudos

Newer posts