TV Home Forum

UTV rebrand

New look to bring it in line with ITV (October 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
LS
Lou Scannon
Did the Santa updates of 2016 and 2017 occupy essentially "trailer/promo" airtime, then followed by an utterly separate standard ident with out-of-vision announcer into the actual programme?

If so, and if they were all pre-recorded, and if they didn't actually refer to the surrounding programme schedule, then surely they weren't exactly "true" IVC as such?
JK
JKDerry
Did the Santa updates of 2016 and 2017 occupy essentially "trailer/promo" airtime, then followed by an utterly separate standard ident with out-of-vision announcer into the actual programme?

If so, and if they were all pre-recorded, and if they didn't actually refer to the surrounding programme schedule, then surely they weren't exactly "true" IVC as such?

Here is a clip from 2017 Christmas, with Julian out of vision giving us a Santa update with him leading into announcing the next programme which was The Chase. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVHp0Q1hDi4
JK
JKDerry

Here is also a clip of Julian in vision with a Santa update - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDywsASOeUk
LS
Lou Scannon
If all of the in-vision stuff in 2016 and/or 2017 was like that one, then it indeed wasn't really "continuity" as such. Totally self-contained Santa info only, with no mention of e.g. "now let's rejoin Bradley Walsh for part two of The Chase" etc.
SC
Si-Co
The only footage I’ve seen was on Facebook, but in 2016 Julian’s Santa Updates were treated as IVC, and he did announce the following programmes in-vision as part of the updates. Pre-recorded, I’m sure, but it was IVC.
TT
ttt
Live IVC (live continuity generally in fact) doesn't really work well when the announcer is sat in a studio hundreds of miles from the playout centre. The delays involved make timing a nightmare -- dead space where the announcer looks gormless on-screen waiting for a cue is just about acceptable on a news programme but you want to avoid it in presentation at all costs.

Pre-recorded IVC isn't much better really. Too much hassle for too little gain, and I have never seen a pre-recorded IVC segment that didn't feel stilted.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
If it's done well you wouldn't know it's pre recorded though. I'm not sure that you can tell what is and isn't live on CBBC for example.
TT
ttt
If it's done well you wouldn't know it's pre recorded though. I'm not sure that you can tell what is and isn't live on CBBC for example.

The CBBC stuff is packaged though and is essentially a programme in its own right (I don't watch the channel but typically the studio bits are minutes long right?

That's very different to a simple piece to camera of 10-15 seconds, the timing of which may change on the fly.
KE
kernow

It's fairly easy to spot what is and isn't live on CBBC.

The live links tend to reference the name of the programme being introduced, whereas the recorded links are generic and don't reference programme names.

The recorded links also get repeated regularly.
GO
gordonthegopher

It's fairly easy to spot what is and isn't live on CBBC.

The live links tend to reference the name of the programme being introduced, whereas the recorded links are generic and don't reference programme names.

The recorded links also get repeated regularly.

The last time I checked out CBBC was if it was a live link it said LIVE in the box next to the logo and if nothing was there it was recorded.
SC
SCBNI
Sarah Clarke is doing a behind the scenes tour of City Quays at 5:45pm today on UTV’s Facebook page.
GM
GMc
Here is that quick look behind the scenes: https://www.facebook.com/UTV/videos/1738457166237014/

Newer posts