The Gallery

BBC Breakfast - 2018 Titles

A "proper" set of titles (June 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BJ
BerkshireJames
Like a few others on here, I felt the new "titles" for Breakfast could do with being a bit longer (rather than having a couple of stings).

For the audio, I've taken the new music element and grafted it onto the old theme. For the visuals, for now given the little time I've had so far I've used the video elements of the BBC Big Breakfast intro from the 2017 election largely because it has a similar visual style and then merged this into the real opening (that wipe is a pain to deal with!) and added one new element to it.

Last edited by BerkshireJames on 17 July 2018 11:25pm - 4 times in total
DM
DeMarkay
Really solid.
What software did you use?
RO
rob Founding member
Why does it say "Election 2017"?
BJ
BerkshireJames
rob posted:
Why does it say "Election 2017"?

For now, as an initial concept, I used some of the visuals from the special Election 2017 opening of Breakfast. If I can find some nice, clean, video in a similar style I'll replace those parts.
DG
Dan Gooding
This is what should have happened! They could have had different drone shots which could be randomly used, like the Salford stings, after the headlines.

Nicely done.
Ittr, BBI45 and Spencer gave kudos
SP
Spencer
This is exactly the sort of thing they should have come up with.
DM
DeMarkay
Really solid.
BJ
BerkshireJames
Really solid.

Mostly Davinci Resolve.

I’m forming thoughts on a “better” version with a different wipe and using more of the revised orange logo. That’s going to involve having to create my own version of the animation of the logo and the “sunrise effect” which is going to be fun.
NE
Newsroom24
Overall, I quite like it and it's nice having a longer title sequence rather than the few stings that they do have.

That said, with the exception of the Big Ben shot which I liked, the other shots were a little underwhelming. For me, there wasn't much to focus on, they were just big expanses of quite generic land and I think if you perhaps focused a little more on really key sights, such as the Clifton Suspension Bridge, Angel of the North etc. it might be a little more striking.

Having said that, I don't think that using shots of hillsides is a bad thing as it does represent the many people who live in the countryside but I think that you might be able to find more striking shots than the ones you've used.

I wonder if you could also find a slightly more creative way to have the date appear, perhaps bigger so it takes up most of the shot and before the 'BBC Breakfast' appears, but you've already said that you're exploring a new way to do the wipe which sounds interesting. I'd also try and find shots that didn't have Election 2017 on them too, though I do understand why you used it for this mock.

While some of that might sound like criticism, please don't take it that way as I generally like what you've done but I do think with a couple of adjustments it could be even better!

3/5 on this one for now from me.
BJ
BerkshireJames
So I've been experimenting a bit on and off over the past few days, looking at the initial intro (the pre headlines sequence). I actually quite like some aspects of the new look, especially the curve across the screen so I've looked at how I could use that. At the same time I wanted to try to bring in the "orange logo" as well. I’m not 100% happy with how I’ve got the clock showing right now but I thought I’d get some feedback before I work on it some more.

Last edited by BerkshireJames on 29 June 2018 8:59pm
TerrestrialTelly, Luke B and Josh gave kudos
JO
Josh
So I've been experimenting a bit on and off over the past few days, looking at the initial intro (the pre headlines sequence). I actually quite like some aspects of the new look, especially the curve across the screen so I've looked at how I could use that. At the same time I wanted to try to bring in the "orange logo" as well. I’m not 100% happy with how I’ve got the clock showing right now but I thought I’d get some feedback before I work on it some more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeEri_U1z8Q

It's very good so far and I could see them both used together but I would like if you could improve upon these points:

- Far too cloudy. Feel free to use them but don't go heavy on them.
- The music is a bit mish mash. It cuts out in some places and it is a bit messy.

On the positive side, however:
- Loving the globe animation. Very solid and clean and it matches nicely with the rest of the mock.
- The fades and cuts are solid and really nice.
Luke B and Newsroom24 gave kudos
ST
Stuart
I think you were better with the first concept, but it didn't include the 'sunrise arc' beneath the BBC Breakfast logo, which is their new (inconsistent) image.

The orange glowing sun image in the 2nd example makes me feel as though I'm about to enter my death in the sun's corona.

If you want to be that heavy on orange, have a look at the NEWSDAY titles, which I have always really liked. (From 1:39 here)

Keep up the excellent work. Thumbs up
Last edited by Stuart on 30 June 2018 12:28am - 2 times in total
Lou Scannon and Ittr gave kudos

Newer posts