TV Home Forum

ITV abandons the South Bank

(February 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DE
DE88
There was an Ant & Dec show on the BBC years ago that some friends went to and I remember them saying that it went on so long that everyone wanted to leave. Unfortunately in that case the audience were in shot on the set so weren't allowed to leave for continuity issues.

Friends Like These, I assume?

DJ
DJ Dave
I remember going to watch Gladiators as a kid back in the NEC and that took hours to film, I think one reason was they filmed parts of it back to front and someone had an injury so that screwed up the whole show!
JO
Jonwo
Chat shows are often the best ones to see recorded because they tend to just an unedited version of what goes on television and they tend to fairly short at about 90-100 minutes to record whereas something like a sitcom or a panel show takes up to 3-4 hours.
JM
JamesM0984
I know Big Fat Quiz of the Year can take a good 5 hours!
HC
Hatton Cross
The Weakest Link. Allow 3+ hours. Long sections of getting the close ups for the voting, slows the pace of recording right down.

That said, radio shows can be over recorded.
The radio variant of QI, BBC Radio Four's 'Museum Of Curiosity' which airs in a 30 min slot, took over two hours to record - at least the one I saw last Saturday lunchtime.
MU
Multi
The Voice took 6 hours. 14 acts, a whole lot of waiting around.
AM
amosc100
Ninja Warrior UK takes about 3 hours to film just 1 episode (about 30 contestants)
ME
mediaman2007
I wouldn't like to say how long Tales of the missing TVS Archive took to record.
WH
Whataday Founding member
I remember being at a recording of Outtake TV when Paul O'Grady hosted it, and it took forever. But only because Paul would go on a rant about how much he hated doing the show, how it was the worst type of television imaginable, how awful the set was and how soul destroying the whole process was. And then someone brought up Matthew Kelly who had recently been arrested and that set him off on another tirade in Kelly's defence.. It was an hilarious night, for all the wrong reasons, and the funniest parts of the show could never be used.
AN
Andrew Founding member
I know Big Fat Quiz of the Year can take a good 5 hours!

And that’s only when you watch it on TV!

I remember being at a recording of Outtake TV when Paul O'Grady hosted it, and it took forever. But only because Paul would go on a rant about how much he hated doing the show, how it was the worst type of television imaginable, how awful the set was and how soul destroying the whole process was. And then someone brought up Matthew Kelly who had recently been arrested and that set him off on another tirade in Kelly's defence.. It was an hilarious night, for all the wrong reasons, and the funniest parts of the show could never be used.

You have to wonder if he was that short of money
WH
Whataday Founding member
You have to wonder if he was that short of money

I think it was during the period he was trying to forge a career in his own name rather than Lily. So it gave him a prime time gig for relatively little time and with decent pay.
JK
JKDerry

A friend of mine went to one of the live editions of The Paul O'Grady Show when it was being made in TC6 at BBC Television Centre in 2007 and it was fantastic he said. Paul would normally do live editions Mondays to Wednesdays, and pre-record Thursday and Friday shows on the Tuesday and Wednesday lunchtime. He would sometimes get mixed up on what day it was. Also, during the commercial break, he was as foul mouthed, rude, crude as you could be, telling the audience disgusting stories about his sex life, and when the show returned from the break, Paul would say "I just had a nice chat with the audience about knitting" and the whole audience laughed, knowing the rant he actually said. I wish I had been there, bit too far for me to travel it was.

Newer posts