Mass Media & Technology

Off Air Broadcast Feeds

Is there a way to access Off Air Feeds from UK Live Shows? (June 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NG
noggin Founding member
I think since 2016 Sad it was for me a great way to test HD 4:2:2 content as the bitrate was always 40-50mbps

Think it was nearer 38Mbs (MPEG2 then more recently H264)

Encryption kicked in a couple of years ago. NS4 modulation is now also used on one feed, with two others in DVB-S2 (though there are fewer feeds for rehearsals ISTR)
JM
JamesM0984
I'm surprised at that - Having been present at the Jury Shows in Lisbon this year I was amazed at just how "for real" the rehearsals are (aside from the songs which are of course a competitive performance.) I thought they'd give everything a dry run?
NG
noggin Founding member
I'm surprised at that - Having been present at the Jury Shows in Lisbon this year I was amazed at just how "for real" the rehearsals are (aside from the songs which are of course a competitive performance.) I thought they'd give everything a dry run?

There are two rehearsals or a rehearsal and transmission every day in the final week. The afternoon rehearsals (apart from Saturday's) are not made available via satellite and are 'dry runs'

The Mon/Wed/Fri 2000 shows are full 'dress rehearsals', and are designed to be broadcast as backups if there is a problem with the live transmission. This is technically not quite fully the case on Monday and Wednesday as the show is interrupted to allow for a full-length performance of the Big 5 + host performances, which are then edited down to one minute extracts, and a local recording isn't quite suitable as a backup. As a result there are feeds of the edited backup on Tuesday and Thursday mornings that all broadcasters taking the contest live will record to play back in sync with the live transmission. However the dress rehearsals are as close to perfect as they can get most years.

On Saturday early afternoon there is a non-dress rehearsal, which IS made available to all broadcasters, to give everyone a second go at rehearsing the voting spokespeople sequence (either the Friday or Saturday early afternoon rehearsals may have stand-ins). This is a non-dress rehearsal - so some artists are not in full costume, and haven't been through hair and make-up. In some cases the hosts are casual too.
Last edited by noggin on 25 June 2018 9:50pm
sbahnhof 7, UKnews and harshy gave kudos
JM
JamesM0984
That makes sense. I attended all six evening shows but didn't go to any family shows.
HA
harshy Founding member
It’s the only time you see Sr 19200 feeds, they are few and far between these days, shame really as the EBU picture is perfect.
TO
topdog2006
LCL92 posted:
I believe there are clips of X Factor and BGT from the Fountain days that are circulating online - including talkback gold featuring a very annoyed Jonathan Bullen (the director).

Any idea where I could find these? I seem to remember watching one from the X Factor final a few years back but wouldn't even know where to look now.

12 days later

DA
dankargo
The Eurovision feeds are actually not too difficult to receive. Last year, the rehearsals were also broadcast on 23.5E (as well as 7.0E and 10E) in the clear and tagged as 'ESC YOUTUBE'.

I've had a motorised dish for a good few years now and and in that time have seen many off-air broadcasts. The X Factor still use satellite and include a talkback audio track which is always interesting to listen to as the show is going out. The production team are often in panic mode when one of the judges go over their allocated camera time and frantically need to chop things out in order to stop the show from over-running.

A few short clips from my YT channel

MA
mapperuo
I remember the Dubai NYE show with the talkback. The director absolutely despised all his camera operators....
Hatton Cross, Dave and Newsroom24 gave kudos
DA
Dave Founding member
To be fair to the camera crew I suspect they had never done the job before, didn’t speak English and were paid a pittance to do the job.
DB
dbl
But surely, if you don't have a decent amount of experience to do this sort of events, you shouldn't be operating?
HA
harshy Founding member
i imagine the person pressing the buttons in the gallery must be a cool, calm and collected person, the director must be at them all the time.
RK
Rkolsen
Likewise the NYE ball drop in Times Square is uplinked around the globe with musical performances and all.

Newer posts