TV Home Forum

Is it time for dedicated BBC & ITV Sports channels?

(June 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
ST
Stuart
The soaps are on every single week day now.

Actually, they aren't at the moment because of all this pesky football. Laughing

I'm not much of a football fan, but scheduling changes are quite interesting, especially the last minute changes. I have always enjoyed watching Wimbledon, so I can hardly object to other sports having the same effect on schedules, especially when it happens less often.

The idea if BBC/ITV having dedicated sport channels just isn't viable. National sporting events should be on flagship channels.
BR
Brekkie
ITVs football coverage could go on ITV4 as everyone has access to that, leaving ITVs main channel free. The BBC could put the football on the red button.

Everyone has access to BBC1 and ITV. Anyone who doesn't like the 15 or so nights out of every 2 years they show international tournaments can choose from dozens of other channels.
IS
Ipswich Simon
ITVs football coverage could go on ITV4 as everyone has access to that, leaving ITVs main channel free. The BBC could put the football on the red button.

Should no BBC football be routinely available in HD then? Would you allow Match of the Day to trouble the BBC 1 schedules?

Are Freeview and Freesat viewers not allowed to see any football shown by ITV in HD then?

So basically anything you don't like shouldn't be on a networks flagship channel, is that what you mean? If thats the way it works then great, where can the soaps go?

I have Freeview and ITV is in HD on there... check your facts.
UK
UKnews

Should no BBC football be routinely available in HD then? Would you allow Match of the Day to trouble the BBC 1 schedules?

Are Freeview and Freesat viewers not allowed to see any football shown by ITV in HD then?

So basically anything you don't like shouldn't be on a networks flagship channel, is that what you mean? If thats the way it works then great, where can the soaps go?

ITV4 isn’t. Check your facts.
DE88, Stuart and Brekkie gave kudos
UK
UKnews

Could you please list your favourite programmes so those who don’t like them can suggest they’re moved onto lower ITV channels / BBC Red Button. Only fair.
ET
ethanh05
TV Forum is becoming worse than DS for arguments.
BFGArmy and London Lite gave kudos
DB
dbl
Anyone who doesn't like the 15 or so nights out of every 2 years they show international tournaments can choose from dozens of other channels.

Indeed... and Netflix, NOWTV, Amazon, ITV Hub, BBC iPlayer, All 4, My 5, YouTube..

In 2018, this excuse doesn't fly anymore. #Choice
IS
Ipswich Simon

Sorry you didn't make it clear you were talking about ITV4, you said and I quote: "shown by ITV in HD then?"; I assumed that you were referring to the ITV channel. ITV2, 3 and 4 are of course shown on Sky in HD. I am not bothered where the soaps or the mind numbing football watched by knuckle dragging Neanderthals are shown. My humble apologies.
BR
Brekkie
Didn't know about a third of the country were "knuckle dragging Neanderthals" - though then again about a third of the country voted for Brexit, so maybe you're right.
james-2001 and Ipswich Simon gave kudos
UK
UKnews

Sorry you didn't make it clear you were talking about ITV4, you said and I quote: "shown by ITV in HD then?"; I assumed that you were referring to the ITV channel. ITV2, 3 and 4 are of course shown on Sky in HD. I am not bothered where the soaps or the mind numbing football watched by knuckle dragging Neanderthals are shown. My humble apologies.

You’d suggested any football shown by ITV was moved to ITV4, making it not available in HD to those with Freesat or Freeview. It was pretty clear but hey ho.

Anyway, as you’ve decided your tastes are so superior you can call 18m people in the U.K. ‘knuckle dragging Neanderthals’, do let everyone on this forum know what they are so they have the chance to insult anyone who watches or dares have an interest in them.

You seem to be cobtracdicting yourself - having said that any football should only be on the BBC red button or ITV 4 you’re now suddenly not bothered about where it’s shown? Have you changed your mind? Are others with different tastes allowed to have programmes / events they’d enjoy on the flagship channels of a particular broadcaster? I’m trying to understand what you’re getting at.
Last edited by UKnews on 21 June 2018 12:14am - 6 times in total
JM
JamesM0984
Didn't know about a third of the country were "knuckle dragging Neanderthals" - though then again about a third of the country voted for Brexit, so maybe you're right.

Oh come on, really?
PC
p_c_u_k

It's quite the skill knocking someone for having a superiority complex by demonstrating a superiority complex.

Seriously though, could we keep Brexit out of this place at least?
Stuart, Cavan and Charlesy gave kudos

Newer posts