TV Home Forum

Favourite TV Closedowns and Handovers

(May 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
CH
chinamug
This Closedown from RTE Network Two in 1995 is surprisingly good.

Presentation on RTE really did improve from about 1995 onwards.

Here's an RTE 1 Closedown from that year (spot the mistake on the Programme line up!)

DE88, Hazimworks and paul_hadley gave kudos
LI
Lieuwe
Nederland 1 (now NPO1) had from 1996 till 2000 a beautiful closedown. Very nicely done with the owl and the diamond! Smile
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulUuc-hwfcQ

That is absolutely stunning. Beautiful music as well. I'm guessing from your username that you are Dutch? If so, welkom op het forum; otherwise, welcome!

Yes, I'm indeed a Dutchie, and thank you very much!!! Smile
jolly turnip and Woodpecker gave kudos
SP
Steve in Pudsey
From TV Ark on Facebook, John Mundy does the honours putting BBC1 North West to bed in 1980

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1969127636462260&id=125133210861721

Wonder if there are any North region closedowns out there from this era?
TC
TonyCurrie
Apologies for the less than brilliant quality of this one but it was my first attempt at uploading to YouTube and the PC simply wasn't up to the job. However, as this appears nowhere else, may I humbly submit the original opener and closer which I produced for TARA Television, for which I was at the time Director of Programmes?

Directed by Fiona Garlick
Music by Maire Brennan

19 days later

BE
Bennyboy1984

With all this talk about the new Paramount channel, here’s the original version starting up Smile
JB
JasonB
I'm pretty sure a later version of that chicken test card had the horns from the cars blaring out over it didn't it?
JV
James Vertigan Founding member
I'm pretty sure a later version of that chicken test card had the horns from the cars blaring out over it didn't it?

Sometimes it was car horns, sometimes it was just test tone.
JA
james-2001
About half of that opening trailer was clips from Rocky and Bullwinkle & Ren & Stimpy!

First proper programme being I Love Lucy too- let's run a trailer saying how groundbreaking we're going to be, then open with a 45 year old black & white sitcom (not that I'd complain too much, it's a show I'd watch if it was being shown now!).

Notice a young Leigh Francis there too briefly, well before Bo Selecta.
BE
Bennyboy1984

Sometimes it was car horns, sometimes it was just test tone.

I do remember seeing a closedown and handover at 6am to Nickelodeon on YouTube once and it had a lengthy showing of the chicken test card with the horns then it went to tone minutes before switching over.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
I seem to remember the chicken test card was referenced in the Mailbox on Paramount Text and it sort of became a running joke. In fact I'm sure I read on Mailbox that the entire Paramount Text/Nicktext service ran off something that used to power Oracle.
BE
Bennyboy1984

The very first handover from BBC One to BBC News 24
BE
Bennyboy1984

A Bravo handover to CNBC note the Cable & Wireless advert, the trouble DOG appearing during handover and the very jumpy picture as CNBC starts up.

Newer posts