TV Home Forum

TV Channels that have seen better times

What TV Channels have not stood the test of time (June 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JA
james-2001
I’d also add UKTV’s W to the list. It doesn’t seem to know what it wants to be. It’s a channel that shouldn’t be behind a paywall it’s that bad. I don’t know anyone who watches this channel. Compare it to the rest of the UKTV Network where the channels have their own identity and know the audience it is targeting.

It always seemed to be that Watch was mainly started to support Richard & Judy moving to their channel. Then when virtually nobody was watching and it got axed after a matter of months they didn't really seem to know what to do with the channel. Almost seems suprising it's limped on for nearly a decade in this state.
Last edited by james-2001 on 14 June 2018 10:26pm
NL
Ne1L C
Might cause a stir but GOLD has had better times. I have fond memories of UK GOLD and miss the variety. GOLD is a good station but UK GOLD was better.
harshy and itsrobert gave kudos
KU
Kunst
W is supposed to be the general entertainment channel for UKTV, for stuff that couldn't find their place on GOLD, particularly after GOLD, compared to UKTV Gold, became the house for comedy productions

Now, closing it would mean UKTV would have find another home for "general entertainment" (US TV series in particular);and I think UKTV just do not want to mess around with too much with the more genre-based channels

They just have to improve it IMO, because while the initial premise was good, they just did not went fully ahead with it
NL
Ne1L C
Kunst posted:
W is supposed to be the general entertainment channel for UKTV, for stuff that couldn't find their place on GOLD, particularly after GOLD compared to UKTV Gold, became the house for comedy productions

Now, closing it would mean UKTV would have find another home for "general entertainment" (US TV series in particular);and I think UKTV just do not want to mess around with too much with the more genre-based channels

They just have to improve W IMO

Bringing back the Eastenders omnibus might help.
KU
Kunst
I think merging W and Drama into W or Drama (W arguably has a better identity) could be an idea

Definitely
JA
james-2001
Didn't they stop that because nobody was watching it? With the iplayer and PVRs there probably really is little point in it now.
DB
dbl
Kunst posted:
I think merging W and Drama into W or Drama (W arguably has a better identity) could be an idea

Definitely

Nope, W is aiming to be more youthful, Drama is for old women. Eastenders episodes/Ombinus was quite poor in ratings on W anyways, it was treated more like a night time filler from its original late evening slot.
SE
Square Eyes Founding member
W is dreadful, as has been said it doesn't knows what it wants to be. 5 hours of Tipping Point a day (8 hours solid on a Saturday) mixed in with some property shows, Catherine Tate and The Bill. A very odd mix.
SC
Si-Co
Didn't they stop that because nobody was watching it? With the iplayer and PVRs there probably really is little point in it now.

Yet the ITV soaps and, I think, Hollyoaks still have encore screenings and/or weekend omnibuses and these obviously rate well enough to be retained.
VM
VMPhil
Si-Co posted:

Yet the ITV soaps and, I think, Hollyoaks still have encore screenings and/or weekend omnibuses and these obviously rate well enough to be retained.

Nobody knows what W is and nobody knew that you could watch the late night repeat or omnibus on there. When it was repeated on BBC Choice and then Three there was a constant reminder on the end credits, they couldn’t do that with W as it’s a commercial channel.
LL
London Lite Founding member
Inside the Ambulance on W is good, but apart from US import Code Black and a Dr Christian format, I don't have a clue what other new commissions they have as it seems to be repeats from other channels.
:-(
A former member
The member requested removal of this post

Newer posts