TV Home Forum

TV Channels that have seen better times

What TV Channels have not stood the test of time (June 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
IS
Inspector Sands
I wouldn’t say BBC2 is past its best, but certainly its and BBC1’s daytime schedule clearly needs looking at. There’s no distinction or value for money for the Licence Fee payer,

BBC2 daytime is what it is because there's no budget for it. DQF basically got rid of it. So some would say it's great value for the license fee as it costs nothing
UKnews and London Lite gave kudos
LL
London Lite Founding member
Newsroom Live does a decent job of replacing the news headlines that used to be on BBC1 in the morning. Derbyshire not so much, but although that's a NC production, as a BBC2 show, it's ok if you want an alternative to the tabloid output on BBC1 or the wall to wall housing/antiques output on BBC1.
NW
nwtv2003
I wouldn’t say BBC2 is past its best, but certainly its and BBC1’s daytime schedule clearly needs looking at. There’s no distinction or value for money for the Licence Fee payer,

BBC2 daytime is what it is because there's no budget for it. DQF basically got rid of it. So some would say it's great value for the license fee as it costs nothing

An all day simulcast of the BBC News Channel would also cost the same, but wouldn’t be throwing out mindless nonsense at the same time.

I wouldn’t be bothered if the Daytime repeats were those of BBC2 and BBC4, but they are mostly of BBC1 Daytime output. Content being thinly spread out.
JA
JAS84
I’d also add UKTV’s W to the list. It doesn’t seem to know what it wants to be. It’s a channel that shouldn’t be behind a paywall it’s that bad. I don’t know anyone who watches this channel. Compare it to the rest of the UKTV Network where the channels have their own identity and know the audience it is targeting.
W's problem is that UK Gold's old schedule is now basically split into three. Gold was one of them, and focuses on comedy. Drama is exactly what it says on the tin (the channel that used to be UK Drama is actually Alibi, Drama actually being the successor to UK Horizons / Blighty). Watch was supposed to be premium content, but that's died off. The shortened name W is meaningless too. You're right, it doesn't deserve to be paywalled.
NW
nwtv2003
JAS84 posted:
I’d also add UKTV’s W to the list. It doesn’t seem to know what it wants to be. It’s a channel that shouldn’t be behind a paywall it’s that bad. I don’t know anyone who watches this channel. Compare it to the rest of the UKTV Network where the channels have their own identity and know the audience it is targeting.
W's problem is that UK Gold's old schedule is now basically split into three. Gold was one of them, and focuses on comedy. Drama is exactly what it says on the tin (the channel that used to be UK Drama is actually Alibi, Drama actually being the successor to UK Horizons / Blighty). Watch was supposed to be premium content, but that's died off. The shortened name W is meaningless too. You're right, it doesn't deserve to be paywalled.

Correct, prior to Watch being launched ten years ago (that long?!?) you had tons of new American and Drama content on Gold and loads of comedies being shown on what is now Alibi during the daytime, it was a mess. Saying that there’s still duplication of content. Quite notably comedies that are shown Yesterday, Gold and Drama, or Homes Under The Hammer which has been shown on Really and Home. I believe Home has shown dramas recently apparently.
LL
London Lite Founding member
JAS84 posted:

Correct, prior to Watch being launched ten years ago (that long?!?) you had tons of new American and Drama content on Gold and loads of comedies being shown on what is now Alibi during the daytime, it was a mess. Saying that there’s still duplication of content. Quite notably comedies that are shown Yesterday, Gold and Drama, or Homes Under The Hammer which has been shown on Really and Home. I believe Home has shown dramas recently apparently.

The comedies on Yesterday and Drama seem to be UKTV's way of promoting Gold in a subliminal way on Freeview. They could argue that Allo Allo which is on Yesterday currently suits their Entertainment inspired by History remit.
DB
dbl
Saying that there’s still duplication of content. Quite notably comedies that are shown Yesterday, Gold and Drama, or Homes Under The Hammer which has been shown on Really and Home. I believe Home has shown dramas recently apparently.

Correct, but also it's a way to increase the commercial share, especially at times when Commercial broadcasters are under pressure to perform before the financial year is finished. Regarding W, it's a bit like cracking a safe, they know it's an issue (basically the points raised in the thread is 100% bang on.)
:-(
A former member
The member requested removal of this post
ET
ethanh05
Home - One of the least watched channels from UKTV at probably the most likely to be replace in case of a rebrand.

MTV - Obviously, MTV was better when it was a music channel. For a bit, it used to have high rating shows here such as Geordie Shore and The Valleys, but even they've dropped off, leaving MTV with very poor new shows as it stands.

ITV Be - A poor (wo)mans old ITV2, TOWIE is not the big thing it used to be and everything else is your typical, scripted reality show. It's really bad, but there is an audience.

CITV - It's a shame what's happened to Children's ITV. They were first before CBBC, and had great shows and presenters. The 80's and 90's were great times for them. However, since the 2000's, it's gone wrong for them. Their budget was slashed for many reasons (I particularly attribute it to ITV Play and all that nonsense) and their ITV status was reduced to Saturday and Sunday early mornings. With their budget right now, they could not beat CBBC because very little actually homegrown programmes could be made - almost all of their programming consists of imports. Whilst their links between programming are visually interesting, CITV might be gone soon as it is not attracting many advertisers like it used to and ITV don't really care about it anymore.
DB
dbl
Home - One of the least watched channels from UKTV at probably the most likely to be replace in case of a rebrand.

Wrong. That'll be the sister channel with the nature docs....
ET
ethanh05
dbl posted:

Wrong. That'll be the sister channel with the nature docs....

One of the least watched. Not THE least watched.
Stuart and Lou Scannon gave kudos
TV
The TV-Fan
ITV - I think it went downhill after Thames lost its franchise and Granada and Carlton took over many ITV franchises, although I think the downhill spiral stopped around 1997, the downhill spiral returned with Central having its Central cakes removed and News at Ten getting the axe the first time round, I think the downhill spiral stopped once again around 2001 when News at Ten returned, but it went downhill once again with the arrival of the Celebrities idents in 2002, the abandoning of regional identites, the ITV Plc merger and the axing of News at Ten again in 2004, though it got better with Downton Abbey.

CBeebies - I think it went downhill starting in 2009, when it started to remove reruns of many good shows (like Brum, Pingu and Fireman Sam).

BBC One - I think it went downhill after Doctor Who got canceled in 1989, but got better, until the downhill spiral returned when the globe was axed, it got better again around late-2006, but the downhill spiral returned again in 2017 with the Oneness idents.

Newer posts