TV Home Forum

CITV at Gas Street

(May 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
NG
noggin Founding member
MY83 posted:
Not forgetting the original 1970s series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wZ6Wt-9Zcc

That's the definitive Rupert. The theme song alone justifies that claim Smile
JA
james-2001
Don't forget that one's recently come out on DVD- complete with numerous previously believed missing episodes.
CA
Caly123
JAS84 posted:
Does Rupert Bear even appear any where outside of the comic strip in the Daily Express?
He has an annual every year.

I saw a kiosk/booth today at a aquarium gift shop called "KidsTV", where you put in £1 in the slot and go into the booth to watch clips/full episodes(?) of Postman Pat: SDS, The Basil Brush Show, Finley the Fire Engine and Rupert Bear: Follow the Magic. Kids today wouldn't recognize half of these shows (execpt Postman Pat). Since when kids will remember Finley the Fire Engine?!
Finley last aired in November 2012 according to Wikipedia. I'm sure those shows would've all been current when the booth was set up - I would say it dates from 2009. That's two years after Finley started, two years after Basil ended, and a year after Rupert ended and Pat SDS started.

It was made in 2010. Surprisingly, all the shows on there were owned by Entertainment Rights, which absorbed into Classic Media a year before.
JA
james-2001
Not that suprisingly, it's obviously them who are responsible for the booth.
JA
james-2001
That CiTV Rupert animation had wonderful music - that was very much “my” iteration of Rupert the Bear. Just check out this theme tune:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vgdpb_uBDOA

Funnily enough that episode seems to be the one, that for some reason, is the enduring memory of the show in my head, particularly the scene where Pudgy described the contraption as a "giant vending machine with giant food". Strange what memories hang around in your head for a quarter of a century.

The original airings had an STV for IT* endcap too, not on that video though, and they've replaced the Nelvana logo with a modern one. A bit like how whenever you see an old DIC show on TV, streaming or DVD they've replaced the ident with a "Cookie Jar" one- and that DIC ident was something I saw all the time as a kid so it feels a shame how it's removed now.
Last edited by james-2001 on 10 June 2018 11:39pm
:-(
A former member
I believe the rights to uk broadcast belong to stv. Everything else belongs to nelavana. Most series are like that.
JA
james-2001
STV had a few Nelvana co-productions in the 90s, I know they ended up getting repeats at weekends on STV in the late 00s (I think they might have turned up on STV2 as well), and got on the STV player in the website. Seems a bit strange though that none of the other ones, as far as I can remember ever showed up on CITV, in fact outside of said STV screenings I'm not aware of some of them being shown anywhere else in the UK at all.

Rupert itself actually isn't one of those that got said STV repeats or ended up on their player, though.
Last edited by james-2001 on 11 June 2018 12:41am
:-(
A former member
Rupet was making money for stv at the time. Pop was screening it.

Same with fun house, it was making money with challenge repeating it. I do know cartoon network did broadcast flying rhino Jr high and I think birds.

Walter melon was due to go up on the player but once again pop picked up the rights and stv started making money.

I'm still waiting for granny banany/our house getting another repeat on the player. Stv show for gmtv about talking granny banana.

Why did the credits for rupet have daily express or mail in its credits.
DE
DE88
The original airings had an STV for IT* endcap too, not on that video though, and they've replaced the Nelvana logo with a modern one. A bit like how whenever you see an old DIC show on TV, streaming or DVD they've replaced the ident with a "Cookie Jar" one- and that DIC ident was something I saw all the time as a kid so it feels a shame how it's removed now.

And Cookie Jar has itself been swallowed up by DHX Media.

Thank heavens for YouTube...

Well, they had to, right? Even if it was a Canada-France co-production.

And, of course, Rupert remains in the Express to this day. Wink
HC
Hatton Cross
DE88 posted:

And therefore, probably only one who features regularly in that paper who hasn't been accused at some point of being a member of a Prince Phillip led plot who murdered Princess Diana...

..(yet)
WH
Whataday Founding member

Because at the time Express Newspapers owned the character, and had done since they commissioned him. Richard Desmond a majority stake in the franchise to Entertainment Rights which is now owned by Dreamworks.

Of course, Scottish TV's involvement in the Rupert TV series is only due to the fact that TVS co-produced the first series and as with most of their kids shows they transferred with Nigel Pickard.
RJ
RJG
DE88 posted:

And therefore, probably only one who features regularly in that paper who hasn't been accused at some point of being a member of a Prince Phillip led plot who murdered Princess Diana...

..(yet)

Although I did hear a rumour that Edward Trunk and Algy the Pug were involved in the situation!
DE88 and Hatton Cross gave kudos

Newer posts