TV Home Forum

Top of the Pops

1990 on BBC Four (January 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JA
james-2001
That message appears on so many google searches I don't think anything of it.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
One other thing. While searching for information on this, I noticed a little something at the bottom of the Google page.

Wouldn't you agree that's a bit of a strange message?

Not really because that's all about the "right to be forgotten" and the fact the EU decided that Google is a data controller for Data Protection purposes. The results are not removed from Google's database, but some results may (key word) been have removed when presented to you. This article from The Guardian might be of interest to you:
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/jul/04/what-is-google-deleting-under-the-right-to-be-forgotten-and-why

TL;DR - the Google message is meaningless. Simple as.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Mike Smith is hardly an uncommon name. If somebody else with the same name had had things removed, that message would appear
:-(
A former member
The member requested removal of this post
Last edited by A former member on 27 March 2021 2:11am - 5 times in total
rdobbie and james-2001 gave kudos
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Not sure you can say that Mike fell out with the BBC. He featured in a couple of documentaries relatively recently before his death, the one about TV Centre and the Chris Moyles meets ex Radio 1 Breakfast DJs. I'm sure his company was doing work for the BBC as well.
:-(
A former member
The member requested removal of this post
Last edited by A former member on 27 March 2021 2:08am
HC
Hatton Cross

I do recall seeing a show about his company and their filming work with helicopters at some point not long before his passing. Not sure what channel that was on.

Clicky..
http://www.flyingtv.co.uk
JA
james-2001
You see them credited on a hell of a lot of shows on all channels, they do a lot of work. I've seen quite recent photos of Sarah Greene flying a helicopter, so she's carrying the business on.

Didn't him and Sarah Greene nearly die in a helicopter crash in the late 80s?
JA
james-2001
You can't help but reason if Mike Smith's wife Sarah Greene had ever guest presented on TOTP at some point whether she would be in the same boat as her late husband or would be fine with her past BBC appearances being broadcast.

Clips of her presenting Going Live pop up often enough, and she did a fair bit of tweeting on the subject a few weeks ago when it was 25 years since the final episode, seems quite happy about the show and her memories of doing it. Obviously the likelihood of full Going Live (or any other Saturday Morning show) episodes ever being broadcast are remote to zero unfortunately, I'd love to see them again.

I do think something would have been worked out with the broadcast of Mike's episodes if he was still alive by the time we reached them at the end of 2016, sadly that didn't happen and we're stuck in a limbo position. I still think it's a strange cituation though, looking at that list Rich Tea posted, I find it hard to think the BBC had to and would have gone to get permission from all of those people (particularly the one-off guest presenters) to get their episodes broadcast, especially for a cheap BBC4 repeat run (he's also missed out the cast of Fame from that list who also co-presented an episode in 1983, and Lenny Henry who presented the 2nd Xmas 84 episode).

I don't think we saw Kevin Keegan, who's on his list, bar a short clip on the Story of 1980, as his episode was co-presented with DLT.

If permission was needed, I imagine there'd be trouble with the 1994-97 guest presenters era (if BBC4 get that far), as I imagine a fair few wouldn't give it, and some of them are no longer with us (Malcolm McLaren, Gary Olsen and Stephen Gately off the top of my head, possilbly others) to even attempt to get it.
Last edited by james-2001 on 2 June 2018 8:42pm - 7 times in total
SP
Steve in Pudsey
The estate/next of kin can grant permission in that kind of circumstance, which may explain why people thought the messages to Sarah were a good idea.
TI
TIGHazard
You can't help but reason if Mike Smith's wife Sarah Greene had ever guest presented on TOTP at some point whether she would be in the same boat as her late husband or would be fine with her past BBC appearances being broadcast.

Clips of her presenting Going Live pop up often enough, and she did a fair bit of tweeting on the subject a few weeks ago when it was 25 years since the final episode, seems quite happy about the show and her memories of doing it. Obviously the likelihood of full Going Live (or any other Saturday Morning show) episodes ever being broadcast are remote to zero unfortunately, I'd love to see them again.

It won't happen, but I'm just hoping The Saturday Show gets repeated, considering it's relevance to TOTP. Of course, it won't, if we're really lucky we might get the TOTP Saturday segment cut out of each episode but I doubt even that. Best I can reasonably hope in that department is that they'll cover the spin-off in 'Story of 2002' if we get to that point.

If I remember correctly, that revamp of The Saturday Show was really important in the BBC/ITV Saturday morning ratings war.
By getting Fearne Cotton & Simon Grant to present and adding the TOTP Saturday segment it gave the fledgling show a kick up the bum and turned the odds around against SMTV Live. And then Dick & Dom came along and three years later it was all moved over to BBC Two and nobody cared anymore, TMI happened and then the genre disappeared completely until recently.
JA
james-2001
By getting Fearne Cotton & Simon Grant to present and adding the TOTP Saturday segment it gave the fledgling show a kick up the bum and turned the odds around against SMTV Live.

Didn't help that Ant & Dec had left and there was a high turnover of presenters on SM:TV after that point.

Going Live, Live & Kicking, Scratchy & Co, SM:TV, I'd love to see repeats of all of them. Parallel 9 too, which I imagine barely anyone else remembers. As I said, I doubt it would happen, though Big Centre TV in Birmingham did show edited episodes of Tiswas for a brief while (until Kaleidoscope pulled out). Though you had to live in Birmingham or the surrounding area to be able to see them anyway.

Newer posts