The Newsroom

BBC Breakfast

From 6am (April 2012)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
PF
PFML84
Why not use the opportunity to introduce Reith into the logo? What are they waiting for?
Ittr, Lou Scannon and Custard56 gave kudos
BA
Bail Moderator
And, of course, there may not be titles at all.

I fixed that for you.
Lou Scannon and London Lite gave kudos
ST
Stuart
Bail posted:

I fixed that for you.

Oh no. Please don't say that they are just going for the 'minimalist approach' that Sky News have adopted: basically just a sting. Mad
LS
Lou Scannon
Are the recently-filmed drone shots of Salford Quays at sunrise actually gonna be used in any way? Or was that a big fat waste of a morning's filming, that now won't make it to air?

Perhaps a brief Salford Quays sting at the very start of each hour (like during the Rio Olympics) before the first presenter two-shot?

Then the new orange logo being a post-headlines sting, so no "full length title sequence" as such?
MD
mdtauk
Are the recently-filmed drone shots of Salford Quays at sunrise actually gonna be used in any way? Or was that a big fat waste of a morning's filming, that now won't make it to air?

Perhaps a brief Salford Quays sting at the very start of each hour (like during the Rio Olympics) before the first presenter two-shot?

Then the new orange logo being a post-headlines sting, so no "full length title sequence" as such?

Hmm, does that mean we could be getting a Good Morning Britain style sequence, with flybys over Media City and the Quay, with an orange logo screen wipe/sting?
CU
Custard56
Bail posted:

I fixed that for you.

Oh no. Please don't say that they are just going for the 'minimalist approach' that Sky News have adopted: basically just a sting. Mad

Sounds like it. And an uninspired one at that. Cost-cutting indeed.

It will probably be like the replacement of BBC One's circles with Oneness all over again: it will make one regret ever getting bored of the current title sequence.
:-(
A former member
Cost-cutting would be doing nothing.
ST
Stuart
I hope some of us are just 'jumping the gun' here, and anticipating the worst.

However, BBC Breakfast have previous form for doing things wrong and then having to swiftly correct it afterwards. Rolling Eyes

We all remember the 'clouds' background when they first moved into N6 . . . which didn't last long.
http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41999000/jpg/_41999484_may2006_clouds416.jpg http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41999000/jpg/_41999486_june2006_latestset416.jpg

The title sequences for BBC Breakfast Time , Breakfast News , Breakfast have always been very good in the past IMO. I do hope they aren't intending to spoil that legacy, just for the sake of "change for change sake".

As a minor aside (and I don't apologise for feeling nostalgic after looking up some old pictures for this post) . . . this is my favourite ever BBC Breakfast title sequence . . . (not the best quality, but best I could find)
Last edited by Stuart on 2 June 2018 12:41am - 2 times in total
Woodpecker, itsrobert and Custard56 gave kudos
:-(
A former member
Wow, I’d forgotten just how horrendous that set was with the cloud background. It just looked so barren.
Woodpecker, Stuart and Luke B gave kudos
DG
Dan Gooding
With the cloud backdrop... I think it was originally supposed to be a full sunrise, which changed throughout the morning? On the first day on that set, that's what the BTS clip said, even though we had that weird sky instead!
ST
Stuart
With the cloud backdrop... I think it was originally supposed to be a full sunrise, which changed throughout the morning? On the first day on that set, that's what the BTS clip said, even though we had that weird sky instead!

I recall that prediction, but given the confines of N6 and the rather tight 2-head shots for most of the programme, that was never going to work, as I doubt the viewer would notice much difference - and I don't think they even attempted it to any extent after the first few weeks.

They even gave up on the sweeping views at the TOTH going towards the 'soon-to-be-abandoned' desk Shocked

I think that would have been the only time to show a sunrise effect for the viewer.

http://www.thisisfive.co.uk/presbits/images/bbcb.jpg
Last edited by Stuart on 2 June 2018 9:09am - 3 times in total
AB
ashley b Founding member
I think the theory was it would reflect the real sunrise, but they launched in the summer when the sun had already risen, so it was never seen, as they abandoned it as the projection cubes looked so bad.
chris, Lou Scannon and Luke B gave kudos

Newer posts