TV Home Forum

Britain’s Got Talent 2018

Breakdown on first live show (p2) (April 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
FO
FanOfTV99
One of the best finals in years...

They say that every year.
:-(
A former member
One of the best finals in years...

They say that every year.

You not old enough Wink Anyways it truly is one of the best this year, for the past couple of years its been dire..
BR
Brekkie
A wide open BGT final usually means no stand out talent worthy of the win. Has on the whole been a good series though.
XQ
XQD
LCL92 posted:
I wonder if the BGT clips they showed on Monday are what ITV has on standby in case of a prolonged fault with any show, not just BGT. The caption at the bottom read as a bit too generic to just be for BGT breakdowns, it might be ITV’s version of Coast and the like.

Copies are kept at the TX source (so the OB truck in this case) , as well as at transmission.

My bold, but I would be very surprised if this was the case.

I could imagine a situation where something happens at the venue and they need to sustain with something.

Much easier to get back to normal if that filler is played out locally - like the Fathers for Justice incident on the Lottery, the studio filled and didn't have to wait for pres to go back to them when they were ready to continue. (Although having one of the BBC's most senior announcers already in full flow at the time may have contributed to them doing it that way, there was no need for pres to jump in.)

Steve is right. If something non-technical has happened in the studio, it's far easier to control locally than going to-and-fro between the source and transmission.
NG
noggin Founding member
LCL92 posted:
I wonder if the BGT clips they showed on Monday are what ITV has on standby in case of a prolonged fault with any show, not just BGT. The caption at the bottom read as a bit too generic to just be for BGT breakdowns, it might be ITV’s version of Coast and the like.

Every live show is required to have an emergency filler tape as part of their live transmission planning. They are usually 10-15 mins in length and are required to have the disruption caption as lower thirds added in. Copies are kept at the TX source (so the OB truck in this case) , as well as at transmission.

That's not to say they don't have generic filler clips if something goes wrong during playout of recorded programmes. Not sure if that extends to BGT for breakdowns over Christmas and the like.

My bold, but I would be very surprised if this was the case.

Almost all live OB shows will have standby contingencies for issues on-site, which are likely to include standby VTs. Topical studio shows will also have standby content to cope with the loss of an OB insert, a last minute VT not making its slot etc.

ITV may take the view that having 'TX-like' standby content available at the OB is a better solution than ITV Playout handling it in some situations. (Obviously not a catastrophic link loss). Using channel branded content may also deflect criticism from the show...

Most BBC shows I know of have 'show branded' rather than 'channel branded' standby content on-site though.
:-(
A former member
That was cringy with the fake royals... and the masks are awful..
WA
watchingtv
Just caught the autocue at the end of The D-Day Darlings . It looked so far away. Im not sure Dec even saw it as it went blank.
FA
fanoftv
The opening to tonight's programme was very well choreographed and proves Dec to be more of an entertainer than just a presenter.

As for the autocue, I presume that it cut to black as it was seen on screen, though all it had on was the order to speak to the judges.
BR
Brekkie
Dec has been brilliant all week and would be good to see him nominated individually for his efforts at next year's NTAs.
BR
Brekkie
They're not doing the full reveal in reverse order this year. Shame, like to see someone discover they've finished last.
DavidWhitfield and Andrew gave kudos
NE
News96
You Were saying Wink

http://www.itv.com/britainsgottalent/insider/britains-got-talent-2018-voting-percentages-revealed
paul_hadley and UBox gave kudos
JA
JAS84
They're not doing the full reveal in reverse order this year. Shame, like to see someone discover they've finished last.

Turned out the wildcard was last. Did the judges make the wrong choice there?

Newer posts