TV Home Forum

ITV abandons the South Bank

(February 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JA
james-2001
Is anything being donated? like to the TV museum in Bradford?

You mean the Science and Media museum that doesn’t have many TV artefacts on public display anymore.

I went there last year and I admit it was disapointing in that regard compared to when I last went in 2001.
MA
Markymark
Is anything being donated? like to the TV museum in Bradford?

You mean the Science and Media museum that doesn’t have many TV artefacts on public display anymore.

I went there last year and I admit it was disapointing in that regard compared to when I last went in 2001.

I found it disappointing enough when I visited in 1996
BL
bluecortina

That's why I've never passed anything of historical technological interest to them.
NB
nbafan89

I went there a year later and I was entertained
ME
mediaman2007
Apparently the last ever recording at TLS - last night's Have I Got News For You - was filmed in Studio 1 as opposed to its usual home of Studio 2. If correct, fitting that the last show comes from the iconic Studio 1.

Footnote: I'm guessing this probably isn't the first time HIGNFY has come from another studio there in its near 30 year history of recordings at TLS. I do remember it coming from TVC one election year, as they had to record it on Friday morning and SM:TV Live was in TLS Studio 2. I guess it was 2001.
Last edited by mediaman2007 on 1 June 2018 12:03pm
JK
JKDerry
Apparently the last ever recording at TLS - last night's Have I Got News For You - was filmed in Studio 1 as opposed to its usual home of Studio 2. If correct, fitting that the last show comes from the iconic Studio 1.

Footnote: I'm guessing this probably isn't the first time HIGNFY has come from another studio there in its near 30 year history of recordings at TLS. I do remember it coming from TVC one election year, as they had to record it on Friday morning and SM:TV Live was in TLS Studio 2. I guess it was 2001.

The 2001 election saw HIGNFY recorded at BBC Television Centre, to be close to the election studio. Possibly the same situation was used for the 1992 and 1997 elections.

They have always swapped between Studio 1 and 2 at TLS over the years depending on the bookings in the studios.
HC
Hatton Cross
And it's first few series were recorded at the now demolished Limehouse Television in the docklands.
ME
mediaman2007
Well I never knew that (clearly), thanks Hatton. I'm bemused as to why HIGNFY would need to come from near the election studio, though.
WH
Whataday Founding member
The 2001 election saw HIGNFY recorded at BBC Television Centre, to be close to the election studio. Possibly the same situation was used for the 1992 and 1997 elections.

What was the benefit of being close to the election studio? I always assumed it was down to a lack of availability at TLS on a Friday.
HC
Hatton Cross
I always thought it also had something to do with fast turnaround of footage using in the clips.

Researchers watching the feeds from the ob counts via the TVC ringmain circuits, and if they were hunkered down at Hattrick towers on election night they wouldnt have access to (or see) and off camera moments to use in the post election show.
BU
buster
The 1997 election programme was aired at 2200 on Thu 1st May, the moment the polls closed.
2001 was different as it was aired at the usual time on Friday night, recorded on Friday morning to react to the result.

(I've no idea about other elections but I'm sure someone could find out via a not particularly hard to find listings site...)
JK
JKDerry

What was the benefit of being close to the election studio? I always assumed it was down to a lack of availability at TLS on a Friday.

The election studio was in TC1 at Television Centre, so to keep topical being in say TC3 would have helped.

Newer posts