TV Home Forum

25 years since ITV Schools ended.

(May 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
DE
deejay
Central (and their predecessor ATV) played out the networked Independent Television for Schools and Colleges sequences as it was known on air. When the service moved to Channel 4 it became known as ITV Schools and there was a subtle Channel 4 logo on screen during the intervals and countdowns. Channel 4 Presentation played out the service from its re-launch. In those days Channel 4 and ITV were more closely aligned and both supervised by the IBA (technically speaking the IBA was the actual broadcaster and the franchise holders (regions on itv, plus TVam, ITN and channel 4) were contractors.
DE
deejay
I should add that S4C in Wales played out welsh language programmes and there were occasional regional opt outs in the very early days on ITV Schools on Channel 4. These were played out regionally by the Channel 3 contractor and routed to Channel 4 rather than Channel 3. In those days, the regional franchise holders (though I’m not sure if it was all of them?) for Channel 3 also played out the advertisements on their regional Channel 4 distribution, so this wasn’t impossible to achieve (which it is now).
JO
Josh
S4C in Wales opted-out for the junctions but opted back in for the programmes with Channel 4. Is there any reason why S4C couldn't play it all from their end?
IN
Interceptor
JoshX posted:
S4C in Wales opted-out for the junctions but opted back in for the programmes with Channel 4. Is there any reason why S4C couldn't play it all from their end?

It would involve having the entire library duplicated over. I never understood why S4C didn't have a clean feed to work with though, pretty much every simulcast junction would have a peek of Channel 4 presentation either side (and I think that carried on right until the end!).
SC
Si-Co
JoshX posted:

It would involve having the entire library duplicated over. I never understood why S4C didn't have a clean feed to work with though, pretty much every simulcast junction would have a peek of Channel 4 presentation either side (and I think that carried on right until the end!).

I think that was because each programme had an announcement before it about support materials, which were recorded by Central (and later Channel 4) and played out by Channel 4. So, S4C would have needed copies of those as well as the programmes if they were playing everything out themselves. As it was, it suited them to take a dirty feed of Channel 4 so all programmes and announcements would be on their feed.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Did S4C work from a dirty feed the rest of the time?
AN
Andrew Founding member
It's a Van De Graaff generator, not a plasma ball Wink

Surely anyone who has done GCSE Science knows about a Van De Graaff generator?

Although I wonder if kids are still allowed to have a go with one these days, with the minor electric shock you used to get.
WH
what

Although I wonder if kids are still allowed to have a go with one these days, with the minor electric shock you used to get.

I've lost count of the amount of times my Chemistry teacher said we couldn't do some things anymore due to Health and Safety rules.
JA
JAS84
There's also bound to be stuff that used to be taught but isn't now because of the standardised National Curriculum.
IS
Inspector Sands
You're saying "whoosh" like we missed an obvious joke... but you edited your post to change it.

Yeah I don't get it either.

Or if you're a certain age, O Level Music: Laughing

BL
bluecortina
Surely much more appropriate for a broadcasting forum (albeit a TV one) Inspector Sands!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmxlhECKa3s
TI
TIGHazard
what posted:

I've lost count of the amount of times my Chemistry teacher said we couldn't do some things anymore due to Health and Safety rules.

Though that was starting to happen while I was at school, we were still able to have a go on the Van De Graaff generator back in 2010, so if it's been banned now, it's been done somewhat recently.

Newer posts