TV Home Forum

International Sports Coverage

Rights, Broadcasters et Al beyond the UK. (March 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RD
rdd Founding member
RTE and TV3 swap nights, although under the new deal, TV3 will also get second pick on Tuesdays as well as all Wednesday night games. The Super Cup and the final move to TV3. The Europa League will be back on terrestrial in Ireland after a three year absence (aside from the final) as TV3 also pick up the rights.

Eir Sport are out, in their own right....but, BT can still broadcast their coverage in ROI, so it’s not the massive blow to eir it might seem at first instance.
MY
MY83
Comes to something when Ireland, who will probably have 0 teams in either competition's latter stages, has more FTA coverage than England, which could have up to 7 teams in Europe next year.
RD
rdd Founding member
That’s a point well made, notwithstanding Shamrock Rovers’ and Dundalk’s appearances in the Europa League group stages in recent years. But UEFA no longer cares about FTA coverage. It just so happens that TV3 outbid eir.

(Eir may not care either - their subscribers will still have access through BT’s coverage and they no longer need to produce a show or borrow Premier Sports airtime for three hours each night).
MY
MY83
rdd posted:
Eir may not care either - their

This took me a few attempts to read....
BR
Brekkie
Surely TV3 will hope to sell some games on. Do RTE/TV3 tend to opt for Premier League clubs if they're available?
RD
rdd Founding member
Generally yes. I don’t think they are planning on selling any games on - certainly no mention in any media coverage today.
S7
sbahnhof 7
On a more adventurous note, NHK G is showing sumo this week, the natsu basho tournament. The Japanese coverage is live online in the mornings UK time. (NHK World has highlights in English.)

The Japanese on-screen graphics are surprisingly old-fashioned:

BB
BBI45
On a more adventurous note, NHK G is showing sumo this week, the natsu basho tournament. The Japanese coverage is live online in the mornings UK time. (NHK World has highlights in English.)

The Japanese on-screen graphics are surprisingly old-fashioned:

And the highlights mentioned (from yesterday):
S7
sbahnhof 7
BBI45 posted:

And the highlights mentioned (from yesterday):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KT5fq1Alg-0

Apparently NHK World has some live coverage - the first live sport I've seen on that channel. They were on air for the last 50 minutes on Sunday:
https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/tv/sumo/tournament/201805/live.html
BK
bkman1990
RTÉ2 has live coverage of the international friendly between France vs Republic of Ireland on Monday night at 7:30pm.
GE
thegeek Founding member

ST
steveboswell

Genuine question, is he using the phrase "English football" there to mean rugby? Is that A Thing in the US?

Newer posts