Media Websites

BBC.co.uk - site cutbacks & beyond

Split from bbc.co.uk (May 2016)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
CR
Critique
A nice outdated plug for ‘The Politics Show’ here!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-44075878
JA
JAS84
What's outdated about it? Article is dated two days ago i.e. before the show was due to air.
RO
Rory
JAS84 posted:
What's outdated about it? Article is dated two days ago i.e. before the show was due to air.

The Politics Show hasn't existed for some time, it's now Sunday Politics.
CL
clh
BBC News seems to be now available over HTTPS. You may not be redirected to the HTTPS version yet though, so whack it in at the start of the URL to force it - probably a phased introduction.
JE
Jenny Founding member
How big is BBC Genome, and how practical would it be to back the whole lot up? The BBC makes a habit of ploughing resources into big projects like that, announcing them with much fanfare, then wiping them from existence... the Desert Island Discs database and Domesday Reloaded, for example. It seems to me that the chances of Genome still being around in five years are pretty much zero and somebody should be mirroring it before it vanishes.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
Domesday has only been taken down fairly recently in fact the most recent Google Cache suggests it was still there two days ago on the 18th. It appears in the Wayback Machine though multiple times, since it wasn't updated since the end of 2011.

With regards to Desert Island Discs, I presume the database you refer is the list of the castaways? That's here:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006qnmr/episodes/guide

Or was there something else?
JE
Jenny Founding member
Yes, it was searchable by book, music choice and luxury. You could type in a piece of music and it would show everyone who chose it.

24 days later

CL
clh
clh posted:
BBC News seems to be now available over HTTPS. You may not be redirected to the HTTPS version yet though, so whack it in at the start of the URL to force it - probably a phased introduction.

Now defaults to HTTPS

11 days later

DV
DVB Cornwall
Just had a glimpse on the iPlayer at the BBC Parliament re-run of the EurRef results programme via connected TV. I know it's SD, but it honestly looks like early Real Player, it's dreadful. The BBC need to look at feeding the iPlayer Parliament stream in HD even if it's not possible to broadcast in that form.
CL
clh
Just had a glimpse on the iPlayer at the BBC Parliament re-run of the EurRef results programme via connected TV. I know it's SD, but it honestly looks like early Real Player, it's dreadful. The BBC need to look at feeding the iPlayer Parliament stream in HD even if it's not possible to broadcast in that form.

Why bother? Output from Parliament isn't in HD.
LL
London Lite Founding member
I'm getting 540p on catch-up, but does look like the encoding is poor quality SD as per BBC Parliament being in that format.
DV
DVB Cornwall
I note that some repeat programmes on the iPlayer are now being re-encoded from the most recent transmission and not recycling previously expired transmissions from previous showings onto the live system. Prince Lugwig's Castles is the most recent example of this.

Newer posts