The Newsroom

8pm BBC News summary axed

(May 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BR
Brekkie
Always found it insulting how they didn't have Huw front it and instead stuck to young female generally unknown presenters.
JO
Joe
AlexS posted:
Hardly surprising, has felt like it was being made with no budget and little motivation since Ellie Crisell moved over to South East Today.

Interested to know how you would spend any larger budget.
IS
Inspector Sands
Always found it insulting how they didn't have Huw front it and instead stuck to young female generally unknown presenters.

Insulting to who? Surely it's a good training ground for new presenters as well as being good demo tape fodder for them

I can't imagine Huw would fancy breaking off from preparing the Ten to do a 45 second update
Last edited by Inspector Sands on 17 May 2018 10:18pm
RN
Rolling News
How has it taken me 10 years to realise that the music they used was from one of the old Circle idents?!
LL
London Lite Founding member
At least the duty BBC London presenter will no longer have to cover the 8 on occasion.
AS
AlexS

Insulting to who? Surely it's a good training ground for new presenters as well as being good demo tape fodder for them

I can't imagine Huw would fancy breaking off from preparing the Ten to do a 45 second update

Pretty sure its been said in the past that Huw records the 9PM trailer for the Ten almost immediately after the 8 finishes airing so he would have already have been standing by as the 8 was broadcast.
IS
Inspector Sands
AlexS posted:

Pretty sure its been said in the past that Huw records the 9PM trailer for the Ten almost immediately after the 8 finishes airing so he would have already have been standing by as the 8 was broadcast.

Yep it is, but both gigs are more than just turning up in a studio and reading.

Huw is working on the 10 when the 8 is being prepared and broadcast, and that includes doing the trail for it
Last edited by Inspector Sands on 18 May 2018 6:45pm
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Is the trail recorded in A? Wonder if that will look different after the 8 goes as it won't be worth staffing the gallery just for that trail.
TR
trivialmatters
90 second updates like this (and indeed 60 seconds back in the day) are just exhausting to watch. They're so rushed and crammed in, it becomes a total blur. I don't think viewers take anything away from watching that, if indeed they pay attention.
JE
Jenny Founding member
Your ninety second update: Here is the same news we gave you an hour ago. But it sounds much more important if we call it an update.
Markymark, Josh and Lou Scannon gave kudos
CI
cityprod
90 second updates like this (and indeed 60 seconds back in the day) are just exhausting to watch. They're so rushed and crammed in, it becomes a total blur. I don't think viewers take anything away from watching that, if indeed they pay attention.

I don't understand how something as short as 60 seconds can be exhausting to someone. 60 seconds used to have 5 stories in the bulletin, the 90 second update also had 5 in the national segment, 2 in the regional plus a quick regional weather update. There's nothing there to get exhausted over.

Some Indian News channels have bulletins that advertise themselves as having 100 or 200 stories rapid fire, with each 'story' being no more than 10 seconds, and often as little as 6 seconds. Now that truly is exhausting.
RO
rob Founding member
Sky News still air a 60 second update on Pick at 8pm and 9pm.

Quatorzine Neko and watchingtv gave kudos

Newer posts