TV Home Forum

Eurovision 2018

Winner - Israel - KAN - Netta Barzilai 'Toy' (May 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JA
JAS84
Sourced from the Power Rangers? Laughing

What's MMPR really mean there? Confused
TI
tightrope78
JAS84 posted:
Sourced from the Power Rangers? Laughing

What's MMPR really mean there? Confused

M&M Production Management who look after the set build etc at Eurovision each year. They’ve been doing so since at least Moscow 2009.

Each year in the run up to the Contest Ola Melzig does a blog about all the technical stuff:

https://m-m-pr.com/index.php/eurovision-diary-2018
NG
noggin Founding member
Meant to say also, the fact that Graham Norton knew nothing about the Eurovision Young Musicians trailer indicates to me that he hadn’t bothered to attend either the jury final or the family show earlier in the day. At both shows the final is run through from start to finish and the inserts and adverts are all included. Also seems to suggest that he doesn’t bother to attend the daily commentator briefings.

'Doesn't bother' is a little harsh. It's more likely to be a case that he can't. Unlike most countries the BBC split Semifinal and Final commentary duties between two teams, and Graham has a chat show to record and a radio show to make. It's not a case of 'doesn't bother' more a case of 'can't' isn't it?

Graham's commentary is always pretty entertaining, and he does a pretty decent job. I think his comment on the Eurovision Young Musician trail was more that it told you nothing in, and of, itself - not that he didn't know anything about it. The EBU keep shoe-horning in JESC and other promos in to the final (last year I think it was an EBU choir competition?) that really don't work...
KELGE, DE88 and UKnews gave kudos
JT
jolly turnip
Meant to say also, the fact that Graham Norton knew nothing about the Eurovision Young Musicians trailer indicates to me that he hadn’t bothered to attend either the jury final or the family show earlier in the day. At both shows the final is run through from start to finish and the inserts and adverts are all included. Also seems to suggest that he doesn’t bother to attend the daily commentator briefings.

'Doesn't bother' is a little harsh. It's more likely to be a case that he can't. Unlike most countries the BBC split Semifinal and Final commentary duties between two teams, and Graham has a chat show to record and a radio show to make. It's not a case of 'doesn't bother' more a case of 'can't' isn't it?

Graham's commentary is always pretty entertaining, and he does a pretty decent job. I think his comment on the Eurovision Young Musician trail was more that it told you nothing in, and of, itself - not that he didn't know anything about it. The EBU keep shoe-horning in JESC and other promos in to the final (last year I think it was an EBU choir competition?) that really don't work...

Yes that is how I took Graham's comment to mean. And spot on I believe. Here you have a once in a year audience who don't care for anything Eurovision other than the main final. Opportunity to make them aware of EYM but it was lost in the wishy washy presentation of the whole night.
WH
Whataday Founding member
I'm sure there were several other references that suggested he had seen the dress rehearsal.
TI
TIGHazard
I'm sure there were several other references that suggested he had seen the dress rehearsal.

From 2016, but we know he sees the dress rehearsal.

NG
noggin Founding member

Yes - Graham traditionally sees the Friday dress rehearsal and most of the Saturday morning non-dress rehearsal - radio show permitting. My comments were that he may not be able to attend the commentator briefings, though I'm sure the BBC production team do.

Of course Graham will have known exactly what the Young Musician trailer was for and about - but he was putting himself in the position of the viewer...

The EBU really need to stop crow-barring in promotions for other Eurovision events that only a small number of countries take. The JESC stuff is almost always toe curling.
UKnews, DE88 and Jon gave kudos
TI
tightrope78
There were various comments online this year that it was a surprise to see anyone from the BBC at the artists press conferences during Eurovision week. Of course they were referring to Rylan who absolutely took to it like a duck to water and really immersed himself in the experience.
AL
alexhb01
This is a video from the arena of the UK’s interrupted performance. You can see how he runs over the bridge being perused by security quite clearly and the response from the crowd.

BM
BM11
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-44214279
Does anyone know if the new Italian Government has any plans regarding RAI which might affect Italy's participation in future contests
Last edited by BM11 on 23 May 2018 6:44pm
GL
globaltraffic24
BM11 posted:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-44214279
Does anyone know if the new Italian Government has any plans regarding RAI which might affect Italy's participation in future contests

From my fairly limited knowledge on the current situation, it hasn’t come up for discussion ‘much’. So much is at stake that the future of RAI isn’t top priority. The only party that seemed to make a big manifesto commitment about the broadcaster was the Democratic Party which promised to scrap the license fee.

However, a populist/right wing coalition will almost certainly look to make big changes. RAI agreed a new ten year plan with the last government in 2016, including investing heavily in innovation, including the roll out of digital radio, but a number of chronic challenges, including staffing issues, remain.

I’m afraid it’s a case of wait and see! Anything could happen. 😫
BR
Brekkie
Sadly it won't be about increasing efficiency, adapting for the future or giving the licence fee payer value for money. Attacks on national broadcasters from governments are all essentially about exerting control over them and limiting their ability to hold the government of the day to account - and sadly nowadays it seems like the electorate are sleep walking into state censorship in far too many places.

Newer posts