TV Home Forum

Eurovision 2018

Winner - Israel - KAN - Netta Barzilai 'Toy' (May 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
CH
chinamug
It should not be sanitised and cleaned up (edited) as if it never occurred.

I disagree. The political nature of the interruption needs to be removed otherwise it will encourage copy cat actions, and be seen by the supporters of the guy as being a defacto acceptance of what happened by the EBU.

I agree it would be better to acknowledge the edit with a caption, but to leave the whole incident in untouched damages the contest.

Besides, it's not like this is the "official record", full copies of the PaB will be held all over Europe and the EBU won't be demanding they're deleted, it's only the YouTube copy which only Eurovision fans are going to want to watch anyway.

An acknowledgment of the edit is needed if they're going to make that edit. This seems to be happening more and more often where Broadcasters change what actually went out and cover up mistakes, mishaps and events. Go down the road 20 years and people won't believe that it happened because on the official EBU site it won't exist.

A certain Mr Williams is already responsible for some people thinking that there used to be half hour interludes at various times of the day on ITV where they showed Oracle pages. His edits are unofficial and are usually taken down. But that's one guy on the internet. When the actual broadcasters are making changes to actual events (without pointing out the edit to the viewing public) perhaps we should be concerned.

And before anyone says it, Yes this could be an overreaction, at the end of the day it's just a point of view.
DE88, rdobbie and p_c_u_k gave kudos
BM
BM11
https://eurovoix.com/2018/05/17/iceland-ruv-considers-withdrawing-from-eurovision-2019/
TI
tightrope78
Just catching up on this thread as I was at the contest in Lisbon. Some general comments:

A reliable source tells me that this year was the cheapest contest since the introduction of the semi-finals in 2004. Apparently it cost around €14 million, compared with the previous cheapest in Stockholm 2016 (€16 million). Did it look cheap? I think the staging looked impressive on screen however I think the lack of money was obvious.

The lack of LED screens made many of the performances look very samey. The lack of interval acts in the semi-finals was very noticeable, and cheap. It was tedious in the arena and I’m sure they were tedious on-screen. RTP just the same intro video for all three shows, usually there is a unique video for the final at least. Within the arena there were very few roaming camera men. The one roaming camera went no further than the front row of the ‘golden circle’ area. In Stockholm there were at least 3 or 4 roaming cameras.

The Altice Arena was vast, with some rather ugly camera towers positioned in the middle. This blocked sightlines for many people standing and created big empty areas that looked bad on screen. For shows that were supposedly sold-out there was large areas of empty seats, particularly in the Grand Final. The acoustics were poor also, whilst we could hear the performances OK we could barely hear anything that the presenters said. This resulted in any ‘jokes’ falling very flat. Although did anyone notice the ‘Allo ‘Allo joke at the beginning of Semi Final 2? Very random indeed.

The difference in what we heard re performances in the auditorium compared with the television viewer was amazing! Jessica Mauboy sounded great in the arena but atrocious on TV. From watching several performances I thought the mix was wrong, with the lead vocalists being drowned out by the backing vocals. One thing though, the performances were a lot less sterile than they were in Melodifestivalen this year.

After sitting through the interval performances in the Grand Final it reminded me of the Rio Olympic ceremonies and what I thought then i.e. Portuguese & Brazilian culture is quite distinct and separate from the rest of Western culture and that it is hard for many another country to really connect with it, particularly the audience that follows Eurovision. This lack of connection between Portugal and Eurovision was sadly evident throughout the city where Eurovision was very much any afterthought, rather than front and centre.

Finally here is the technical breakdown of Eurovision 2018. All Aboard!!

NT
NorthTonight
I don’t mind the lack of LED screens. It means the performers / performances have to be more creative, and / or more focus on the song.
TI
tightrope78
I don’t mind the lack of LED screens. It means the performers / performances have to be more creative, and / or more focus on the song.

My feeling about the lack of LEDs is why bother when they simply replace the screens with ARVR instead? To me this looks a lot less impressive.
TI
tightrope78
Meant to say also, the fact that Graham Norton knew nothing about the Eurovision Young Musicians trailer indicates to me that he hadn’t bothered to attend either the jury final or the family show earlier in the day. At both shows the final is run through from start to finish and the inserts and adverts are all included. Also seems to suggest that he doesn’t bother to attend the daily commentator briefings.
JO
Jon
Or he’s saying that as part of his act?

The viewer should be non the wiser whether that the commentator has seen the final already.

I’d say Graham was merely echoing the thinking of the viewers the vast majority of which would be as disinterested as Graham was letting on.
Cando and bilky asko gave kudos
BR
Brekkie
It should not be sanitised and cleaned up (edited) as if it never occurred.

I disagree. The political nature of the interruption needs to be removed otherwise it will encourage copy cat actions, and be seen by the supporters of the guy as being a defacto acceptance of what happened by the EBU.

I agree it would be better to acknowledge the edit with a caption, but to leave the whole incident in untouched damages the contest.

Besides, it's not like this is the "official record", full copies of the PaB will be held all over Europe and the EBU won't be demanding they're deleted, it's only the YouTube copy which only Eurovision fans are going to want to watch anyway.

An acknowledgment of the edit is needed if they're going to make that edit. This seems to be happening more and more often where Broadcasters change what actually went out and cover up mistakes, mishaps and events. Go down the road 20 years and people won't believe that it happened because on the official EBU site it won't exist.

A certain Mr Williams is already responsible for some people thinking that there used to be half hour interludes at various times of the day on ITV where they showed Oracle pages. His edits are unofficial and are usually taken down. But that's one guy on the internet. When the actual broadcasters are making changes to actual events (without pointing out the edit to the viewing public) perhaps we should be concerned.

And before anyone says it, Yes this could be an overreaction, at the end of the day it's just a point of view.

Exactly. It is annoying enough when +1 and On Demand edit out anything even slightly confidential.
MA
madmusician
Jon posted:
Or he’s saying that as part of his act?

The viewer should be non the wiser whether that the commentator has seen the final already.

I’d say Graham was merely echoing the thinking of the viewers the vast majority of which would be as disinterested as Graham was letting on.

Given that the BBC is leading the Young Musician initiative and it is being held in the UK, I think it is very poor that Norton (whether as part of his act or not) showed such disinterest towards it.

I’m sorry to have a sense of humour failure over this, but as a professional classical musician, the industry needs all the help it can get right now and the BBC shouldn’t be endorsing lazy stereotypes (‘oh, how boring’) about classical music performances. This was an ideal chance to plug this event to a large audience and to draw on the European competition link, encouraging the Eurovision audience to try something that is a bit different.

If Norton genuinely didn’t have the details, then that’s fair enough (although you’d have hoped that someone on the BBC production team would have known about it) but I really really hope that his indifference wasn’t part of his act, as I’d be really disappointed in him if that was the case.
tightrope78 and Araminta Kane gave kudos
:-(
A former member
The member requested removal of this post
CA
Cando
Also seems to suggest that he doesn’t bother to attend the daily commentator briefings.

He almost definitely doesn't. He only flies out on the Friday due to the chat show and he does his Radio 2 show from Eurovision on the Saturday morning.
PC
p_c_u_k
I think Graham was somewhat thrown and distracted by the SuRie situation for some time, which was perfectly understandable. Beyond the fact it's difficult to get the tone of the reaction correct, there's genuine human shock as well.

Newer posts