TV Home Forum

TV Breakdown Appreciation Thread

We'll return as soon as possible. (April 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
TI
TIGHazard
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iS1cvp-ScXQ

Here we have TNT handing back to Cartoon Network sometime in 1998. This does actually contain a fault in which the “bouncing blocks” ident fails to play complete with a double DOG in the top right, then into a Toon Byte which if I remember and I could be wrong they used these as fillers when faults occurred or they had time to fill if programmes ended early.

Sadly it seems the videos are long gone from Youtube but Turner Broadcasting UK had a pretty major breakdown for most of the day on 27 July 2006. From what little info remains, apparently their channel transmitters were in Soho and there was a huge power cut due to high heat levels so the channels couldn't run properly and had to run off some sort of backup that was about a year or two old. But it couldn't show commecials and for most of the day had a scrolling banner saying the channels were suffering massive faults

It was notable as Boomerang actually showed classic cartoons on it's backup, and the UK Toonami showed it's old anime-style lineup instead of the newer live action angle it had at the time.

I asked around on the lostmediawiki forums about this, though I haven't got a reply yet. They've had some luck finding missing breakdowns and technical issues footage (most recently finding some Viacom Australia footage when they had a technical breakdown a few years ago)
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Interesting one here

Looks like some kind of line switching fail with an interview getting fed onto the distribution circuit in error. I've checked Genome, it doesn't look like this was the scenario we have discussed previously of using the network circuits to feed material during regional opt slots, both BBC1 and 2 Scotland were with network for the programmes.
JA
james-2001
Picture's very wobbly, but I'm guessing this is a clip that's gone down several VHS generations?
BE
Bennyboy1984
Does anyone remember the 90s version of music channel “The Box” and if so being that it was all automated did it have any faults?
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Picture's very wobbly, but I'm guessing this is a clip that's gone down several VHS generations?

I suspect the feed switch would have been non-sync, which the recording would have exaggerated too.
JA
james-2001
Does anyone remember the 90s version of music channel “The Box” and if so being that it was all automated did it have any faults?

It had loads, especially the first few months after they switched to a new system in 2000. It was crashing ALL the time then. Sadly I have no recordings of it (not that it was particularly interesting, was mainly several minutes of black while they rebooted- I later learned it was run off a computer running Windows 2000!).
IT
itvblocks

It had loads, especially the first few months after they switched to a new system in 2000. It was crashing ALL the time then. Sadly I have no recordings of it (not that it was particularly interesting, was mainly several minutes of black while they rebooted- I later learned it was run off a computer running Windows 2000!).

Reminds me of this... (I know it's already been posted in the topic before)
Woodpecker and paul_hadley gave kudos
JA
james-2001
Though you never actually saw any windows dialogues when The Box crashed- I presume the channel output was separate to the main Windows output on their system.
BE
Bennyboy1984
If I remember rightly The Box had a strange haze over its output until they upgraded their systems. I did hear once that this was caused by NTSC output being converted to PAL, could be wrong though.
IS
Inspector Sands
If I remember rightly The Box had a strange haze over its output until they upgraded their systems. I did hear once that this was caused by NTSC output being converted to PAL, could be wrong though.

Yes the original systems, installed at cable head ends,were imported from the US, hence they were NTSC
WH
Whataday Founding member
I caught a strange fault on tape once during the Richard & Judy era of This Morning. The Corrs had just been interviewed and then they threw to a commercial break. After about the third advert, the studio mics were audible again, and you could hear Richard & Judy asking some more personal questions (nothing incriminating, just chit chat). I always wondered how this was possible over the ads which were played out from Wales at the time.

The tape's in storage somewhere, I'll have to dig it out.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Presumably the TM studio left the mics faded up during the break, and HTV Wales pres left the network feed from TM faded up.

Newer posts