TV Home Forum

Eurovision 2018

Winner - Israel - KAN - Netta Barzilai 'Toy' (May 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
JA
james-2001
Can you imagine the Panic in the European Broadcasting Union if the BBC said they were leaving? Very Happy

They need us more than we need them and will give us the best and easiest deal in history? :p
DE88, Inspector Sands and Quatorzine Neko gave kudos
WH
Whataday Founding member
It beat Britain's Got Talent on Saturday... the BBC won't leave Eurovision.
DE88, UKnews and Quatorzine Neko gave kudos
:-(
A former member
The member requested removal of this post
BM
BM11
I do wonder how many countries will see a few artists become BDS and refuse to go for selection because it is being held in Isreal and almost certainly in Jerusalem. Or broadcasters not considering act's because of prior comments on the Israel/Palestine conflict.
In fact I wonder if the EBU are concerned that violent protests could occur during the contest and overshadow next's year contest.
Last edited by BM11 on 14 May 2018 11:28pm - 2 times in total
A former member
Last edited by A former member on 14 May 2018 11:43pm - 4 times in total
BM
BM11
Alternatively prehaps it will be a positive step towards peace - 2009's Israel entry was a peace anthem sung by a jew and christian Arab and there has been other peace anthems as Isreal's entry so maybe the home entry will something peace related and/or an Arab Israeli might be part of the hosting team.
CR
Critique
I don't think this has been asked already but apologies if it has - during the stage invasion on Saturday I was just wondering how the gallery would have handled things? I'm aware that CuePilot (or something with a name to that effect?) already knows what all the shots will be and handles it themselves, so what happens when something goes wrong and they need to go off script?

When the intruder first came onto the stage they carried on with all the normal shots, but a few seconds later there was a crowd shot that seemed a bit out of place IMO, as if they'd cut to it manually whilst they got the intruder off the stage and got things back on track. It might have just been a conveniently scheduled shot, but if this was a cut away, how does that work when the software is cutting the shots itself? Does it carry on the sequence in the background and just allow you to cut back to it or was it something slightly more involved?
DO
dosxuk
CuePilot is run from a touchscreen in the gallery, next to the vision mixer. To override the automation you only need to stop it on the touch screen. You can also do things like configure it to do it's thing on an ME bus, which makes it easy to cut away from without interrupting it.

There's a few photos on Twitter from the gallery over the week.
PC
p_c_u_k
Jerusalem in particular is ... a problem. I imagine there would be less of an issue if it were to be held in Tel Aviv. That said, previous contests have taken place away from the glare of social media, and it doesn't take much to get a campaign going these days.

In terms of safety, well Eurovision was held in a country at war not that long ago.

The cost of the UK going to Eurovision has been countered by many people pointing out that what the BBC spends is chicken-feed in terms of what you'd normally spend in prime time, and the amount of money spent by sporting organisations to get sod all return. You don't see the UK demanding we pull our football teams out of the World Cup because they're terrible.

In terms of Australia ... I think their act was forgettable and one of those singers who's always going to be huge in their own country but can't make the step up. However, you wonder if some countries think they've overstayed their welcome. The ongoing "why is Australia here?" narrative can't just be a UK thing, and it gives them a hurdle to get over before they even start to sing their song. Asiavision, should it go ahead, might give them a handy out.
NG
noggin Founding member

Following up my comment about the cost of Eurovision and I heard a guest on radio earlier today during a discussion about the contest say that the UK had to pay "an entry fee" of £311,000 to enter a song in the contest this year. Whether this has any basis in fact I've no idea.

That figure comes from an FOI request asking how much the BBC pay for the contest. It's the fee the BBC pay to the EBU to broadcast the 2 x Semi-finals and the Final from 2012 or 2013 I believe. That's an incredibly small amount of money for around 8 hours of entertainment TV. So not the fee we pay to enter, but the fee we pay to enter and get given a large chunk of entertainment TV.
A former member
Last edited by A former member on 15 May 2018 2:11am - 6 times in total
BR
Brekkie
Wonder how the vote would have been affected if Trump had opened his new embassy on Friday.

Newer posts