« Topics
Brekkie30,261 posts since 4 Jan 2003
HTV Wales Wales Today
I hate to be the one who goes on about these kind of things, but due to the current political climate, are the singers that safe in Israel from Iranian missiles etc?

Sadly though there are issues in every European major city now which might raise questions on safety. Cities just learn to live with such things - and TV shows haves too as well.

Shouldn't that have been posted in the "John Logie Baird has Invented Television" thread?
JamesM0984589 posts since 21 Jun 2018 Recently warned
Central (East) East Midlands Today
What interests me is what sort of show we'll get. Others have talked about "the same Scandinavians" producing, but ultimately these guys know how to do a good show and keep the budget under control. On the flipside, there wasn't a lot to distinguish the 2017 and 2018 shows apart from losing the LED screen - the central stage design, for example, was identical in both Lisbon and Kyiv. The graphics this year were basically an evolution of the ones in Kyiv.

Also, it's a very international team - not just a Scandinavian or Swedish team. Given the fact they managed to pull off a fairly decent show in Kyiv with next to no time in which to do it, they clearly know what they're doing. I was staying in the same hotel as a number of crew, and there were Irish, Swedish, Ukrainian, German, Danish and even Canadian there. That was just the communications team, many of which worked on both Stockholm and Kyiv before the Lisbon gig.

The big thing they really need to do is shorten the voting window. Big time. We've had long voting windows for a few years, but apart from the Copenhagen and Stockholm shows, the interval has been as dull as dishwater. I accept not every host is going to pull off Love Love Peace Peace or Justin Timberlake, so let's shorten that down. Songs > Recap > 5min Commercial Break, where the hosts can let the reigning champ sing their new record > Short Recap > Start the results. In Lisbon particularly the voting window was just interminable. Can't stand Salvador, a man more up his a**e I'm yet to see at Eurovision, but that aside oh my goodness it was boring.

It wouldn't take a lot to cut the show back down to 3h 30m. Although if I remember the last Israeli show, the introduction must have taken up the better part of half an hour.
BM11579 posts since 2 Jun 2017
London London
I think Shabbat is an issue throughout Israel but it's possibly less controversial breaking it in Tel Aviv.
I still not sure if they will be able to get Tel Aviv through parts of the Israeli Government and the people who believe it must be Jerusalem or not at all.
It's ultimately up to KAN, and if Jerusalem can't meet the requirements, Jerusalem can't host. If Ireland win soon and RTE want to go back to Millstreet, tough. Even if there was an arena big enough, it would fall down on the requirements of an airport, public transport and hotel beds. Does Jerusalem have good air links? Is there a good public transport network?

Lisbon had its faults but it a good Metro system backed up by a super-efficient Uber presence made it ridiculously easy to get around.
DE88681 posts since 8 Jan 2017
UTV Newsline
Ireland *won't* win soon - you can be sure of that. Wink

RTÉ have been reluctant to host the Eurovision again for quite some time now - indeed, they weren't too keen about hosting it in 1997, for the fourth time in five years...

"Channel 5! The channel that brings you England goals!" -- Jonathan Pearce, 31 May 1997

On hiatus from 1 January 2019. Perhaps I take the drawbacks of the written word *too* seriously.
BM11579 posts since 2 Jun 2017
London London
It's ultimately up to KAN, and if Jerusalem can't meet the requirements, Jerusalem can't host. If Ireland win soon and RTE want to go back to Millstreet, tough. Even if there was an arena big enough, it would fall down on the requirements of an airport, public transport and hotel beds. Does Jerusalem have good air links? Is there a good public transport network?

Lisbon had its faults but it a good Metro system backed up by a super-efficient Uber presence made it ridiculously easy to get around.

Will KAN being willing to go against the government? If the government says no to anywhere but Tel Aviv there is nothing KAN could do because it's impossible to run without government permission.
Sorry to bump but the X Factor thread has got me thinking about EYD. I hope, despite SuRie falling massively short of expectations, the BBC will stick with the National Final. It's not the slickest, most polished production in the world yet but it doesn't help that it's on BBC Two and nobody knows it's on.

I am realistic in that I accept a British Melodifestivalen is light years off. We're going to need a bit of a "generation churn" and "lose" the Wogan-era audiences before we can even think about that. Needs another 10 years before you've more under 35s who only remember Graham.

However last year took us in the right direction. Mans cohosting and the duo of Edward Af Sillen with Daniel Rehn doing the script added so much value and really lifted the show. I bumped into Edward actually in Brighton, he was in awe of my Love Love Peace Peace shirt and was genuinely humbled that I knew who he was. OGAE UK organised a wicked party too. I hope they're asked back for 2019. I don't think they'll do the Dome again but there are some decent sized theatres around the UK they could use. In 2017 they used the Eventim Apollo which had been used for Greatest Hits (and BGT have used it post-Fountain) but I understand they struggled to fill it.