TV Home Forum

TV Breakdown Appreciation Thread

We'll return as soon as possible. (April 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
BE
Bennyboy1984
https://youtu.be/qnJUrjBAp84

BBC2 in 1982
BE
Bennyboy1984

Can anyone tell me if this one is actually real? I’ve come across it on YouTube loads of times but it’s a bit strange that nobody noticed it and apologised!
CO
commseng
How did that work logistically? Were there permanent circuits from the BBC to ITN or was there a very quick lines booking made with BT?

There were permanent vision circuits (two in each direction I think) between us and ITN.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Can anyone tell me if this one is actually real? I’ve come across it on YouTube loads of times but it’s a bit strange that nobody noticed it and apologised!

It's plausible that that was the result of an error in a regional centre, especially as Neighbours was on before/after a regional opt.
GE
thegeek Founding member

It's plausible that that was the result of an error in a regional centre, especially as Neighbours was on before/after a regional opt.

That seems likely, given the frame or two of 14P16 centre-cut-out when the pictures return.
GE
thegeek Founding member
This isn't strictly speaking a breakdown, but I'm surprised it's not had a mention so far:

(Although I can't imagine it's one of noggin's favourites.)

I do wonder what NC1 were up to at the time, to have failed to notice either the alarm going off, or (presumably) a PA shouting down the talkback that they were clearing off outside.

As a result of this outage, staff in the coding & multiplexing department were banned from using their microwave between 6.30pm and 7.30pm on weeknights.
IS
Inspector Sands
If that isn't a breakdown then I don't know what is!

There was a bit of a long gap after the report finished but I suppose that's partly because it ends on a dark shot of a bat so it's not that obvious. The PA wouldn't have had time to give NC1 an out-word either.

Maybe they were hedging their bets they'd return to the building, or the director was just a bit busy and didn't notice the package ending? It was in the adjacent building to where playout is so possibly there was concern they'd be evacuated next?

Tis a bit poor that the announcer called it a fault, but then that was what the slide said too
DE
deejay
After viewing one of these clips I surfed about a bit and found this spectacular from Anglia:
TT
ttt
After viewing one of these clips I surfed about a bit and found this spectacular from Anglia:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klBC-48QzfI

I'm loving the frustration at the end there. Name-checking Thames -- obviously their error -- in an almost unprofessional way, classic!
IS
Inspector Sands
I love the sound of spooling Beta SP in the morning, smells like... a cock up
JF
JetixFann450
I love the sound of spooling Beta SP in the morning, smells like... a cock up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGuKUrmYe0E

Speaking of which...
SP
Steve in Pudsey
ttt posted:
I'm loving the frustration at the end there. Name-checking Thames -- obviously their error -- in an almost unprofessional way, classic!

On the theme of passing the buck, here's an unusual breakdown (of sorts) from Yorkshire in 1989

Presumably BT managed to lose the feeds out of YTV to the transmitters, at some point managed to conjur up the wrong feed from LWT for a few seconds, then eventually reconnected Kirkstall Road.

While they were off-air, they recued the film and knocked up that caption, and left that on their output. As soon as they came back they ran the film.

Then at the end, a caption apologising for BT's fault, and it looks very much like they just crashed out of the film before it was finished.

I guess there was no announcer on duty for these overnight broadcasts?

Newer posts