TV Home Forum

TV Breakdown Appreciation Thread

We'll return as soon as possible. (April 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
SP
Spencer
A NSFW one here from LWT, I remember seeing this go out. Worth it just to hear the shock in Peter Lewis' voice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOLrnyUeMc4

It’s a surprise anyone noticed the cut from Richard Littlejohn and Peter Stringfellow to a pair of tits.
BB
BBI45
BBI45 posted:
Rory posted:
An odd one from S4C (perhaps not a 'breakdown', but still a mistake), in which it seems the computer playing the closedown screens overnight is rebooted, complete with Windows dialogue!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5ab4UMG2Tc

Bloody Windows Updates!

It wasn't a Windows Update. That's Windows NT4, it didn't do updates automatically you had to go and get them yourself via the really secure method of, um, Internet Explorer. Somebody's deliberately restarted that machine presumably without realising its output was being broadcast.

Thanks for spoiling a joke. I knew it couldn't actually be updating, but rather making the point about updates happening at a bad time.
CI
cityprod
It never occurred to me that the Broom Cupboard presenters had an earpiece, but I suppose they must have.

I wonder how long Simon had been in the job at the time

If memory serves, it was his first week in the job, if not his first day. I believe it was his first job in broadcasting too, so he was very new to it all.
SP
Steve in Pudsey
Not sure on that, fairly sure he had done some holiday mornings from PresA before being let loose in Con.
CI
cityprod
Not sure on that, fairly sure he had done some holiday mornings from PresA before being let loose in Con.

He did some around the same time, but I thought he did this stint first. I could be wrong though.
AN
Andrew Founding member
A

And then there's this one from the day before the 1987 general election which caused a bit of a stir and a few problems for ITV. All caused by apparently a VT which was unexpectedly being left in remote at Thames so kept stopping
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qAKvHRGqys

I like that from Redvers Kyle, ‘we are looking into it technically and hope to get something soon’
IS
Inspector Sands

I still wonder how or why LWT was picking up Germany Channel. Mind you it no worse than what you saw on benny hill

You've made that comparison before and you're still wrong.... unless you saw some very different Benny Hill shows to everyone else!

As to why RTL was available in LWT that night, well there are some possible legitimate reasons why it could have been... but the most likely is that someone working in lines wanted something to watch to liven up their shift

It’s a surprise anyone noticed the cut from Richard Littlejohn and Peter Stringfellow to a pair of tits.

I was going to make a similar comment, albeit with a different 4 letter word Wink
ukpetey, Spencer and Si-Co gave kudos
SC
Si-Co
A

And then there's this one from the day before the 1987 general election which caused a bit of a stir and a few problems for ITV. All caused by apparently a VT which was unexpectedly being left in remote at Thames so kept stopping
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qAKvHRGqys

I like that from Redvers Kyle, ‘we are looking into it technically and hope to get something soon’

That PPB breakdown seems so much messier due to the combination of Thames and YTV pres and apologies. I wonder what other regions did? Was it also going out on the BBC via Thames?

As to why RTL was available in LWT that night, well there are some possible legitimate reasons why it could have been... but the most likely is that someone working in lines wanted something to watch to liven up their shift

Could the cock-up (excuse the pun) have originated at BT Tower? It’s not unknown for the wrong station to be fed out due to a switching error.
WH
Whataday Founding member

Some old clips from the Broom Cupboard are prime examples of what I mean. The first one shows Andy Crane frantically controlling the desk to get himself back on air when a transition to Neighbours goes belly up before he openly asks whoever's next door if he should carry on.

Am I alone in thinking that Andy comes across as a bit of a tit here? He was in as a guest and probably wouldn't have had talkback, surely Simon would have covered the cock up in a much calmer way had Andy not panicked and jumped in?

I don't think either of them would have had talkback. They were basically in control of the output at that stage weren't they?

It would be a travesty if we didn't mention the anecdote I bring up every few years. The one where the duty director of S4C spooled back through the ads at the end of a day's transmission (unaware they were still broadcasting), pausing on a saucy shot of a naked wooden lady in a Natrel ad. It took a while before he realised and cut transmission.
LT
TheLastTrain
I was watching BBC Two on analogue in 2005/6 and it begun switching back and forth to BBC One/Two during the credits of a movie.
RO
robertclark125
Remember when ITV cut to an ad break during an FA Cup replay between Everton and Liverpool in 2009?
SP
Steve in Pudsey
I don't think either of them would have had talkback. They were basically in control of the output at that stage weren't they

Not really. The output of the Con mixers were sources on the network mixer next door. They controlled what happened during the link, but not playing in programmes or timings etc.

The broomcupboard presenter did have talkback - there is a clip online of a link with a gag too convoluted to explain which involves Phillipa Forrester arriving mid link and having to plug her earpiece in.

Newer posts