TV Home Forum

TV Breakdown Appreciation Thread

We'll return as soon as possible. (April 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
IS
Inspector Sands
The one below has Debbie Flint met with a dodgy projection of Rocky and Bullwinkle and you can actually see whoever's on VT trying to fix it on the monitor in the background.

Trying to fix the film of course

Am I alone in thinking that Andy comes across as a bit of a tit here? He was in as a guest and probably wouldn't have had talkback, surely Simon would have covered the cock up in a much calmer way had Andy not panicked and jumped in?

I can understand Andy taking over as he was more experienced and action had to be taken as of course it was a very precise junction leading up to the news. Though Simon does sit there and look like a bit of a lemon, but then he probably didn't know what to do
LL
Larry the Loafer

Am I alone in thinking that Andy comes across as a bit of a tit here? He was in as a guest and probably wouldn't have had talkback, surely Simon would have covered the cock up in a much calmer way had Andy not panicked and jumped in?

I can understand Andy taking over as he was more experienced and action had to be taken as of course it was a very precise junction leading up to the news. Though Simon does sit there and look like a bit of a lemon, but then he probably didn't know what to do

Andy's instincts might've taken over. He would've looked more of a tit if he sat back and casually said "Oi Si, fix that mate."
TI
TIGHazard
Always a favourite, The Saturday Show going off air, going to Kenan & Kel, leaving Kenan & Kel halfway though to return back to The Saturday Show, which immediately cuts to Cubix.

SP
Steve in Pudsey
You're right that the timings are critical in that junction to get to the news on time, but to me that's why Andy should have let Simon lead as he has the ear piece and the count into Neighbours.

Let alone undermining Simon - It's not as if Andy was particularly slick in how he padded.
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
Some more breakdowns:

A programme on the CBBC Channel launch day fails to turn up and then falls off air halfway through:

Possibly a presenter's worst nightmare - how to pad for ten minutes when the phone lines die on Quiz Call late one night:

And finally for now, when Lorraine Kelly's programme was interrupted by the fire alarm:
IS
Inspector Sands
It never occurred to me that the Broom Cupboard presenters had an earpiece, but I suppose they must have.

I wonder how long Simon had been in the job at the time
IS
Inspector Sands
A NSFW one here from LWT, I remember seeing this go out. Worth it just to hear the shock in Peter Lewis' voice.

And then there's this one from the day before the 1987 general election which caused a bit of a stir and a few problems for ITV. All caused by apparently a VT which was unexpectedly being used in an edit and left in remote at Thames so kept stopping

And Tom Edwards filling like crazy ' alright duckie'
Last edited by Inspector Sands on 30 April 2018 8:15am - 2 times in total
RO
Rory
An odd one from S4C (perhaps not a 'breakdown', but still a mistake), in which it seems the computer playing the closedown screens overnight is rebooted, complete with Windows dialogue!

Last edited by Rory on 28 April 2018 6:08pm
RO
robertclark125
Although there is no youtube footage of it, I recall in the mid 1990s, BBC2 having serious problems trying to play out The Money Programme. The titles ran, but a minute into the first report, the problems began, with the VT jumping about. So, apology slide and music. They then decided to start the whole programme again, only for the programme to go wrong just after the opening titles!

Also, one that used to be on youtube, but isn't anymore, unless someone can find it. The famous time Coronation Street started one evening in the 1980s, and just after the opening titles began, the programme paused and totally ground to a halt.

My dad described it as "the best thing ever to happen to Corrie!"
BB
BBI45
Rory posted:
An odd one from S4C (perhaps not a 'breakdown', but still a mistake), in which it seems the computer playing the closedown screens overnight is rebooted, complete with Windows dialogue!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5ab4UMG2Tc

Bloody Windows Updates!
NJ
Neil Jones Founding member
BBI45 posted:
Rory posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5ab4UMG2Tc

Bloody Windows Updates!

It wasn't a Windows Update. That's Windows NT4, it didn't do updates automatically you had to go and get them yourself via the really secure method of, um, Internet Explorer. Somebody's deliberately restarted that machine presumably without realising its output was being broadcast.
:-(
A former member
A NSFW one here from LWT, I remember seeing this go out. Worth it just to hear the shock in Peter Lewis' voice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOLrnyUeMc4

I still wonder how or why LWT was picking up Germany Channel. Mind you it no worse than what you saw on benny hill

Newer posts