TV Home Forum

Winter Olympics 2018

PyeongChang, South Korea (November 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
GO
gordonthegopher
Woodsy was brilliant reporting out in the field but found him a little bit awkward in the studio.

Will be interesting to see the Eurosport ratings for the period but it was always going to be the summer games where losing the multiple feeds will really hit the BBC. With the time difference and limited number of simultaneous events the BBC got away with it this time and to their credit used the one red button stream they had pretty well.

I don't know if there were periods when both BBC1/2 and the red button had the same content but I didn't notice it, though sadly due to the time difference and no time off work I had to view most of the games through the highlights show which on the whole was very good though I think an extra half hour would have enable more events to be shown unfolding as they happened (in an edited form) rather than as "reports".

I did have the Eurosport streams via Amazon for the period but didn't use them - just found it too clunky, especially having to go back to a menu to see what else was on rather than flicking through a guide. I can't comment on the quality of their coverage but really don't think Eurosport broke out beyond it's own viewer base as the home of the Olympics and really do feel they've much to do before 2020 if they really want to deliver.

Watched some on Eurosport via BTTV myself but I didn't stay with it for long, I always find the BBC more (want for a better word) homely. Eurosport always feels remote to me, I always feel that they are broadcasting more to an international audience than a British audience. I realise Eurosport 3, 4 and 5 were international feeds but that meant that the BBC had 2 British Feeds and Eurosport had only 2 British feeds which were many time duplicates of the extra channels. I feel Eurosport does have a lot of work to do in time for 2020.
JA
james-2001
I realise Eurosport 3, 4 and 5 were international feeds but that meant that the BBC had 2 British Feeds and Eurosport had only 2 British feeds which were many time duplicates of the extra channels.

Far too often you found that BBC1/2 and the red button channel were showing the same as ES1 and 2, which far too often were showing the same as what ES 3/4/5 were showing, which means quite often you were getting the same event with 3 different commentaries, rather than getting to see other events that were happening.

Quote:
Eurosport always feels remote to me, I always feel that they are broadcasting more to an international audience than a British audience.

Not as true as it has been in the past, as Eurosport has split into several different country feeds, and we do get UK specific commentary and on-screen presenters. I imagine there is still a certain amount of pan-Europe coverage though. You used to be able to tell when they actually badged the channel as "British Eurosport", as the DOGs were different colours on UK specific and international coverage.

I still preferred to watch the BBC myself too though, and that will probably still be the case for Tokyo in 2 years time, probably only switching to ES when they're showing events I want to see that the BBC aren't.

60 days later

DO
dosxuk
Bit of a late post on this topic, but stumbled upon this video about how they did the Netherland's Eurosport studio. Was quite surprised at exactly how small the space they were using was!

RK
Rkolsen
Bit of a late post on this topic, but stumbled upon this video about how they did the Netherland's Eurosport studio. Was quite surprised at exactly how small the space they were using was!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eod3ikNUasY

What is the keying effect they’re using to make it look larger when the camera pans out of the green screen? Dirty, Trash or Garbage?
NG
noggin Founding member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eod3ikNUasY

What is the keying effect they’re using to make it look larger when the camera pans out of the green screen? Dirty, Trash or Garbage?

They're probably all names for the same thing. Masking and Garbage matteing are the two phrases I hear most often when you are creating a scene wider than you can shoot cleanly against green. Most VR systems include motion tracked garbage mattes to allow for this.
GE
thegeek Founding member
I just realised I didn't upload my screengrabs of Kanal 5 Sweden's remote guest:

I don't think they ever claimed the guest were in the studio, but equally I'm not sure if they mentioned they were sitting in a greenscreen studio in Stockholm either.

The full-body angle was shot on its side, so that they could get more resolution, then I think they used some AR processing to match the perspective.

I've also found a bunch of behind-the-scenes photos of Discovery's install in PyeongChang: https://www.flickr.com/photos/andrewbreaks/sets/72157691909478191/
NG
noggin Founding member
I just realised I didn't upload my screengrabs of Kanal 5 Sweden's remote guest:

I don't think they ever claimed the guest were in the studio, but equally I'm not sure if they mentioned they were sitting in a greenscreen studio in Stockholm either.

They were scrupulously honest and always introduced the guest as being in Stockholm and appearing by technology.
Quote:

The full-body angle was shot on its side, so that they could get more resolution, then I think they used some AR processing to match the perspective.

It is a pity the chair colour matching wasn't so effective (they were the same chair but differently lit) (Also the curse of no reflections strikes again)

They did a cracking job at cheating the eye-lines in both studios though.

Quote:

I've also found a bunch of behind-the-scenes photos of Discovery's install in PyeongChang: https://www.flickr.com/photos/andrewbreaks/sets/72157691909478191/

They also used AR to track the LED wall to the jib so it had parallax. Unfortunately the LED wall is also in the singles, and the mix to the non-AR backdrop (to avoid horrible angle changes on the MCU when the jib repositioned) were really obvious.
WH
Whataday Founding member
It is a pity the chair colour matching wasn't so effective (they were the same chair but differently lit) (Also the curse of no reflections strikes again)

Ah they were? I thought it was deliberately a different colour chair to reflect the guest being in another location.
GE
thegeek Founding member
thegeek posted:

They were scrupulously honest and always introduced the guest as being in Stockholm and appearing by technology.
fair play - your Swedish is better than mine!
NG
noggin Founding member

Ah they were? I thought it was deliberately a different colour chair to reflect the guest being in another location.

I'm assured they weren't...

Actually - I now remember that the empty chairs are lit differently - if you look at the hosts' chairs they are similar.

Newer posts