« Topics
Stuart6,945 posts since 13 Oct 2003
Westcountry Spotlight
They’re giving two weeks’ notice through a pop-up channel on EPG 100 from Tuesday.

That didn't happen . . . Shocked I guess there is still some horse-trading going on.

It looks as though you just got the wrong Tuesday, MGR, as the pop-up channel has appeared today, which means Sky Atlantic is pushed off the first page of the EPG.

paul_hadley and MetalGearRex gave kudos
russty_russ47 posts since 17 Feb 2017
Anglia (West) Look East
The latest Radio Times out today has the new channel positions for those come 1st May for the ones it lists so you will know where in particular the Documentary channels will go individually. I can post it up the changes if you like unless its somewhere else already.
JAS843,334 posts since 26 Aug 2010
Yorkshire Look North (E.Yorks & Lincs)
It was posted three pages ago:
Full list of Sky's EPG for the UK and Ireland come 1st May.

UK: http://storage.sky.com/prod/helpcentre/UK_TV_GUIDE_307748A01.pdf
Ireland: http://storage.sky.com/prod/helpcentre/ROI_TV_GUIDE_307748B01.pdf

It's a heck of a lot tidier than what we have now barring the overspill entertainment section from the 450s. With the lines being blurred between entertainment and documentary channels with regards to content moving the latter section up is a good move.

A few changes too - Viceland rebrands to Vice and loses its HD channel, and TLC+2 is finally being shut down.
Orry Verducci1,572 posts since 1 Feb 2005
Anglia (West) Look East
There's two versions of that though - a normal Sky+HD box becomes a (chunky) Freesat From Sky box when you cancel your subscription - and then there's another box that they farm out if somebody specifically requests Freesat From Sky - looks very similar to the Sky+ HD box but is just different enough to be noticeable.

I’m surprised they don’t just send out a regular box in the hope of customers eventually subscribing to something. Is the EPG the same or do they remove the subscription channels?

The box actually is a regular box, the box they use for Freesat from Sky is the HD box they use for basic multiroom installs. It's the same as the standard Sky+HD box but without a hard drive and smaller, and therefore no recording or on demand functionality. If a Freesat from Sky customer decides they want to subscribe, the subscription channels can be immediately switched on the same as someone with a Sky+HD box.

The EPG is the same as all Sky customers have. The only difference I think is the HD channel swaps aren't enabled, even for the FTA HD channels.
FraserGJ35 posts since 18 Mar 2005
HTV Wales Wales Today
I like how the popup channel has SD and HD versions with (I presume) a HD swap in place.

I've got the channel in HD on 100 and in SD on 997. I assume it's the other way for SD-only subscribers.

Surprising amount of effort since it appears to be a single short promo on a loop... Are they using the Sky Atlantic VIP channels while they are off-air perhaps?
a516570 posts since 29 Jan 2010
Central (East) East Midlands Today
There's two versions of that though - a normal Sky+HD box becomes a (chunky) Freesat From Sky box when you cancel your subscription - and then there's another box that they farm out if somebody specifically requests Freesat From Sky - looks very similar to the Sky+ HD box but is just different enough to be noticeable.

I’m surprised they don’t just send out a regular box in the hope of customers eventually subscribing to something. Is the EPG the same or do they remove the subscription channels?

The box actually is a regular box, the box they use for Freesat from Sky is the HD box they use for basic multiroom installs. It's the same as the standard Sky+HD box but without a hard drive and smaller, and therefore no recording or on demand functionality. If a Freesat from Sky customer decides they want to subscribe, the subscription channels can be immediately switched on the same as someone with a Sky+HD box.

The EPG is the same as all Sky customers have. The only difference I think is the HD channel swaps aren't enabled, even for the FTA HD channels.

The HD swaps for FTA PSBs are enabled, e.g. so that BBC Two HD is on 102, etc.

The box is a DRX595.
a516570 posts since 29 Jan 2010
Central (East) East Midlands Today
I like how the popup channel has SD and HD versions with (I presume) a HD swap in place.

I've got the channel in HD on 100 and in SD on 997. I assume it's the other way for SD-only subscribers.

Surprising amount of effort since it appears to be a single short promo on a loop... Are they using the Sky Atlantic VIP channels while they are off-air perhaps?

Separate channels have been configured on satellite for this information service.
MetalGearRex1,498 posts since 11 May 2016
London London
A rollercoaster ident was also introduced. They seem to launch in batches of two. The channel has a good variety of idents now, nice to see them developing an existing package rather than starting from scratch each time.

Here's the rollercoaster ident:

'Even by our standards, that was remarkably unproductive.' - Andrew Neil
Colorband, watchingtv and 623058 gave kudos