« Topics
Brekkie31,225 posts since 4 Jan 2003
HTV Wales Wales Today
I’ve just watched as much as I could bear of That’s Thames Valley ( aka Reading local). Dreadful presenter who shouts the first and last word of every sentence. Awful, just awful. I’ll try again in six months

Just wondering what the time frame is on that - I'm assuming we're talking minutes, if not seconds.

It really was the wrong medium for it - had the government supported a national iPlayer style solution offering on demand local programming and news rather than rolling out it them the traditional way then maybe it would have had a chance, but ultimately I think it needed a big broadcaster, or several competing established broadcasters, supporting them.
Last edited by Brekkie on 20 April 2018 9:40pm
I preferred the internet when it had a sense of humour.
cityprod1,937 posts since 3 Oct 2005
Westcountry Spotlight
The idea of local television was not the problem, but rather the frankly ill-concieved policy of city-based stations with no central network hub. Local TV could have worked if a sustaining network model had been implemented in the early going, and allowing the local stations to gradually decrease how much of the network schedule they took.

But isn't that what STV have done by amalgamating their stations into STV2, and it's still failing? In fact, it's losing money so they are reassessing the situation.

STV2 doesn't cover the whole of Scotland though, it only covers the major cities in Scotland. In this country, there is a large section of the population that lives outside the main cities and there was no real local TV concept for them, and that's the problem. Cities make nice local starting points, but you really have to look beyond them and create a local TV solution that encompases the areas outside the cities.

I think BBC have the right idea by focusing their local content into wider areas such as counties. If local television had been done covering county areas, rather than individual cities, it might have worked.
Charlie Wells3,764 posts since 26 Nov 2003 Moderator
Anglia (West) Look East (West sub-opt)
I dread to think how much of the licence fee (aka our money) was spent/wasted on Mr Hunt's pet project. Seeing how the ITV franchises had merged over the years should have been a clue.

Despite living in Cambridgeshire I've never been able to receive That's Cambridge on Freeview die to being nearer the Sandy Heath transmitter. On Virgin Media the EPG just shows the channel name instead of individual programme names, making it pot luck if tuning in. As others have suggested had the channels been aimed at entire regions they would have had a better chance.

I dare say those that survive will push to drop as much local programming as they can. I imagine London Live is one of the few channels that covers a large enough area to potentially still survive.
"Listen, we've all got something to bring to this conversation, but from now on what I think you should bring is silence." - Rimmer
p_c_u_k and Brekkie gave kudos
Lou Scannon1,050 posts since 1 Jan 2016
HTV West Points West
Can we take it as read that the entire Local TV thing will completely end before terribly much longer, as essentially a "failed project" ?

I'm surprised it hasn't already been put out of its misery well before now, to be honest.
I'm still a European.
nigel gave kudos
Brekkie31,225 posts since 4 Jan 2003
HTV Wales Wales Today
How long are the accompanying channels on the local muxes licenced for, meaning presumably if That's TV or Made failed the muxes would have to stay in place to broadcast the other channels.
Last edited by Brekkie on 21 April 2018 9:34pm
I preferred the internet when it had a sense of humour.
HTV West Points West
How long are the accompanying channels on the local muxes licenced for, meaning presumably if That's TV or Made failed the mixed would have to stay in place to broadcast the other channels.

I think that your predictive text is MUX-ing you about...
I'm still a European.
Brekkie and BBI45 gave kudos
Rex (previously MetalGearRex) 1,540 posts since 11 May 2016
London London
I’m currently out so can’t link, but Ofcom have more or less decided that there is no point in expansion of Local TV and are suspending all further development and releasing the Mux operator from developing infrastructure in areas formerly identified for services. Announcement today.

As Hatton Cross said, the scrapping of further Local TV expansion as a result of this news points to an all too obvious sign - the Local TV project is a failure. Channels struggling to fund themselves with the licence fee money drying up, reduction of local programming requirements and technical standards below what is acceptable for a television channel is a familiar theme.

I'll be willing to foreshadow the Local TV project being dead within a few years.

I’ve just watched as much as I could bear of That’s Thames Valley ( aka Reading local). Dreadful presenter who shouts the first and last word of every sentence. Awful, just awful. I’ll try again in six months

There are no continues, my friend.
Last edited by Rex on 21 April 2018 9:20pm
REEEEEEEEE
HTV West Points West
Virtually nobody whom I've ever tried to mention Local TV to (non-Pres Fan types, that is) has the slightest blithering clue what I'm on about. The very existence of these "services" (pah!) has seemingly not even registered with at least 99.99% of ordinary people, even in areas that actually have one of these stations. There can surely be no purer illustration of what a failure looks like than this.

When my mother still resided on the Isle of Wight, I once briefly showed her That's Solent (on whichever Freeview channel number it was on). As she always bemoaned how IoW news often felt quite drowned-out on South Today & Meridian (due to the region size), I thought that the idea of something much more localised would be right up her street. I think that I might as well have been speaking Swahili. It went in one ear and out of the other, and she never even flicked past the channel ever again. She now lives in part of England with no local TV station.

I bet that's pretty representative of how much "response" any of these stations have got from just about anybody...
I'm still a European.
Brekkie gave kudos