TV Home Forum

Good Morning Britain

From Television Centre (April 2018)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
RD
RDJ
Timings seem to be way off today, they need to control Piers ever so slightly. Looks like we'll be lucky to get five minutes with Judge Rinder

They’ve had to rush everything including Laura just giving a 1 and a half hour overdue forecast in 15 seconds.
HA
harshy Founding member
JK08 posted:
Looks like we'll be lucky to get five minutes with Judge Rinder

Oh, dear. That really is a frightful shame.

Cramming in the weather and a competition at 8:26 as well so not looking long at all.

JK08 posted:
Looks like we'll be lucky to get five minutes with Judge Rinder

Oh, dear. That really is a frightful shame.

Cramming in the weather and a competition at 8:26 as well so not looking long at all.

Sofa area used for the final few mins of the show what’s the point of it.
JB
JasonB
The new weather area reminds me of American local news sets.
DW
DavidWhitfield
They need to be a bit more professional in terms of keeping to timings. A feature overrunning by a minute or so because they didn't want to cut off an important interview right as they were addressing the crux of the matter is one thing, but having Piers ranting on for minutes at a time in an entirely unplanned fashion leads to the show going a bit haywire. Two of today's five weather forecasts were canned. The second entertainment section (just before 8am) was canned. The final interview lasted only two to three minutes. Only one of the three TOTH sequences were played in full. And, let's not forget, this was on their 'big day' - their first show from a new studio - where, one would imagine, there'd have been even more planning and preparation to ensure everything runs smoothly than usual!

The studio is (by and large) a delight but they really need to work on timekeeping/general professionalism, especially if they want to win over the people who watch BBC Breakfast (or, even, Sunrise). As boring as I find BBC Breakfast, if they told me they'd have a weather forecast for me at 7:55am, I'd have no doubt that as 7:55am came, they'd close their current feature and go to the weather as billed. On Good Morning Britain, you never really know what you're going to get by the time you've allowed for Piers going off-topic and interviews overrunning by minutes at a time.

A nice '(re)launch' but a lot to work on for me.
Last edited by DavidWhitfield on 16 April 2018 9:00am
NG
noggin Founding member
I wonder if not featuring a drone shot of Television Centre in the opening titles had anything to do with Grenfell Tower which is right next to the building.

It's not 'right next' to the building (though you can see it from White City and Shepherds Bush - and it's a horrible sight) You could easily shoot a drone shot without featuring it. But the new location isn't 'iconic' in the same way the South Bank is (and in iconography terms still says 'BBC' to many) - so there's no real reason to feature it.
Stuart and tellywatcher gave kudos
WM
W M
Really impressed. My favourite part is the anchor desk area. The new titles are lovely, especially the logo animation, and even the subtle changes in colour to the swipe lines at the beginning makes all the difference. The 2017 theme tune would be perfect for this new look.

Shame they didn’t incorporate slightly more elements of the old studio though, like the lovely performance area and sofa area.
JO
Joe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQyCw7Te58A

New open uploaded to Youtube!

I am personally not a fan of how the ITV logo appears.

URGH.

I can forgive the off-topic tangent per se , I don't mind some personality and it reminded me of a breakfast show on the radio, in fact – but the content of the tangent? Pur-lease. What a dull, dull story about a man in a lift that didn't even go anywhere – Morgan genuinely seems to think this was fantastic content to open the first show of the week.
WH
Whataday Founding member
I can't work out whether Big Ben is covered in scaffolding or not in the titles.
TR
trivialmatters
Love the new studio. Not a huge fan of the sofa area, that bit in particular looks very dated and the visuals in the screen are very over-saturated, especially the green trees. The presents at the desk also need a touch more lighting as they look quite dull and tired. And I miss the ticker around the top of the studio.
WH
Whataday Founding member
I found something off about the screens behind the sofa area. Some seemed brighter than others from certain angles.
BA
bilky asko
I found something off about the screens behind the sofa area. Some seemed brighter than others from certain angles.

Isn't that just standard LCD colour shifting?
MA
mark Founding member
I'm really impressed - it's a fantastic evolution of the old set and, as I'd hoped, it's really been built around the fact that most of the presentation comes from the desk nowadays.

I can't imagine the sofa area will get a lot of use as the desk has been the focal point for a while, and now really looks the part.

I'd go as far as saying that it's one of the very best breakfast TV sets I've seen anywhere in the world.

By the way, do we think the 'media wall' is the big video wall behind of the desk, or the collection of screens behind the guest? I thought it might be the latter, as the content changes a lot and the area was also used by Charlotte for a stand-up piece.

Newer posts