TV Home Forum

Good Morning Britain

March 2017 onwards - Moving to TVC Studio 3 on 16th April 2018 (March 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
WM
W M
BBoy posted:
Bbc breakfast in general is dull and dated

I have no issue with the format of BBC Breakfast whatsoever. It suits my morning routine from 6-7am and is predictable.

I will be watching GMB tomorrow because I am a 'pres geek' Very Happy I'll let you know if I become a convert to the 'dark side'.

This is the ultimate TV Forum dilemma. “ Should I watch the programme with the better presentation, or the one that has hosts that I prefer ?”

Then GMB win’s on both issues with me. Smile
WH
Whataday Founding member
The small table and plant pot which acts as a 'book end' to the sofa harks back to GMTV's 2001 set.

AA
Aaron_2015
From what we’ve seen so far, the new studio looks really impressive. ITV have clearly spent some serious money. I think I read once in a tabloid interview that the old studio cost around £200k to build (although I’m guessing just modernising Studio 5 would have been expensive, without all of the other costs). Would be interesting to hear a rough estimate for the new studio.

I’m guessing the ‘media wall’ is the curved screen behind the desk. The description of it sounds like they’ll display images other than the London backdrop, or use it for items. The old studio ‘window’ was quite restrictive in that it couldn’t really display other images very effectively.

According to a photo posted on Laura’s Instagram story, the old sofa has been moved from Studio 5, so that could turn up somewhere in the future.
CI
cityprod
Oh nice!

This should be the basis of a new ITV News physical set. Obviously, it would need some colour changes, but this design really should become the standard for ITV News across the country.

I doubt ITV News will ever leave their virtual studio. It is perfect for them, cheap, and makes their studio look much bigger than it really is. They have to compete with the BBC News studios, and virtual reality is the only way, as there is no room at Grays Inn Road for them to have a vast news studio.

But thinnk about this. This section, where the desk is, isn't vast. You could easily fit a version of it, into most studios ITV News use now. The screen might be slightly smaller, and maybe not curved, but this is not so far away from what the ITV regions used in 2004 onwards up until the current look.

The desk isn't massive, it looks like a fairly standard 4 person desk, would fit quite nicely in most studios that ITV News use.

I'd be quite happy to see ITV News go down this look.
:-(
A former member
It’s not going to happen.
DJ
DJGM
Since GMB is getting a new thread on here, and this one is being closed, what's happening with the threads for the other ITV Daytime shows moving into Television Centre tomorrow? Seems sensible to start new threads for them as well.
Luke B, UBox and Josh gave kudos
JO
Josh
DJGM posted:
Since GMB is getting a new thread on here, and this one is being closed, what's happening with the threads for the other ITV Daytime shows moving into Television Centre tomorrow? Seems sensible to start new threads for them as well.

I may very well make a thread at the break of midnight.
CI
cityprod
It’s not going to happen.

It probably won't, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't, cos in all honesty, I believe they should at least consider it, because it does look even better than the current virtual studio, and that looks damn good..

Heck, I'd go so far as to say it looks better than the current BBC studios B & C.
MO
Mouseboy33
I love the talk about "Whats a credenza?" LOL. Typically in North American office spaces a credenza is in reference to a low slung cabinet (typically with doors and maybe with shallow drawers) that sits behind the main desk, sometimes also placed underneath a window. Used for additional storage. Some people on here have referred to it as a sideboard. A sideboard (in North American vernacular) is typically a piece of furniture that is found in a dining room, where table linens and large serving dished etc are stored. But the basic principle is the same. Since the set designer is an American firm, this probably explains the reason for the credenza term being used.

Actually in this pic you can see the credeza located behind the main presenter desk.
RK
Rkolsen
From what we’ve seen so far, the new studio looks really impressive. ITV have clearly spent some serious money. I think I read once in a tabloid interview that the old studio cost around £200k to build (although I’m guessing just modernising Studio 5 would have been expensive, without all of the other costs). Would be interesting to hear a rough estimate for the new studio.

I’m guessing the ‘media wall’ is the curved screen behind the desk. The description of it sounds like they’ll display images other than the London backdrop, or use it for items. The old studio ‘window’ was quite restrictive in that it couldn’t really display other images very effectively.

According to a photo posted on Laura’s Instagram story, the old sofa has been moved from Studio 5, so that could turn up somewhere in the future.

I don’t know much about the UK set industry but £200k is cheap in the US market where you’d likely get one screen and a desk. The screens alone would probably eat most of the cost.

Newer posts