TV Home Forum

Sky's Branding

(October 2009)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
TT
TellyTime
a516 posted:
Sky has confirmed that the full Sky EPG list should not be published. The odd ad-hoc new channel number contained in individual articles are OK [which is almost how I interpreted it anyway].

A Sky spokesperson has confirmed though that 4Music is allocated 139, C4HD is going to go on 138, in a change to the originally issued master EPG list.

Are they going to make everyone wait til May 1st to find out the full list or is there a date that they are going to reveal it all?
RE
Rex
a516 posted:
Sky has confirmed that the full Sky EPG list should not be published. The odd ad-hoc new channel number contained in individual articles are OK [which is almost how I interpreted it anyway].

A Sky spokesperson has confirmed though that 4Music is allocated 139, C4HD is going to go on 138, in a change to the originally issued master EPG list.

Are they going to make everyone wait til May 1st to find out the full list or is there a date that they are going to reveal it all?

They’re giving two weeks’ notice through a pop-up channel on EPG 100 from Tuesday.
Stuart and TellyTime gave kudos
RE
Rex
A few more changes have been revealed over on DS:

Yesterday moving to EPG 155
Lifetime moving to EPG 164
Viceland moving to EPG 183
MI
Mike516
Let me tease you:
141 5USA / BBC ALBA (Scot) / BBC One (ROI)
142 Really / BBC Two (ROI)
143 Drama / BBC Four (ROI)
169 BBC ALBA / 5USA (Scot)
174 VH-1
TT
TellyTime
a516 posted:
Let me tease you:
174 VH-1

Thanks.

5USA on a different channel number in Scotland to the rest of the UK is far from ideal.
JA
JAS84
I agree. Why didn't they just put Alba on 169 nationwide? Channel 5 should complain about this.
ST
Stuart
They’re giving two weeks’ notice through a pop-up channel on EPG 100 from Tuesday.

That's interesting, and nice to know that the horse-trading for EPG slots will soon end, and we'll be able to see the final list.

I think this is the first time Sky have created a slot at 100, above BBC One. From visiting friends, ISTR that Virgin use this slot as some sort of barker channel, is that still the case?
GO
gottago
JAS84 posted:
I agree. Why didn't they just put Alba on 169 nationwide? Channel 5 should complain about this.

Looking at a current EPG list the BBC appears to own 141 so presumably sold C5 the rights to the slot outside of Scotland. C5 will be much more interested in a far higher slot in the vast majority of the country, channel numbers are rarely mentioned in channel promos these days, people just find it on the EPG.
MI
Mike516
JAS84 posted:

The BBC worked with an EPG brokerage company a few months back to market their Sky EPG slots on 141 to 143.

This was after the broadcasters were given an indicative post-reshuffle EPG list.

So I would say C5 will know what they've let themselves in for...
RE
Rex

That's interesting, and nice to know that the horse-trading for EPG slots will soon end, and we'll be able to see the final list.

I think this is the first time Sky have created a slot at 100, above BBC One. From visiting friends, ISTR that Virgin use this slot as some sort of barker channel, is that still the case?

Yep - Virgin Media operates a barker channel on channel 100, at least since the days of NTL and Telewest. IIRC, during the downtime of certain channels (e.g. BBC Three and Four), Telewest put Front Row previews to fill up airtime.

At times channel 100 is used to showcase channels only on Virgin's pay TV packages. I remember they did a free night of programming with Sky One once, and MTV Live HD was also thrown in to channel 100 for the V Festival.
RD
rdd Founding member
a516 posted:
Let me tease you:
174 VH-1

What happens to Really and Drama in Ireland then? They’re currently on the same numbers as in the UK.
MI
Mike516
rdd posted:
a516 posted:
Let me tease you:
174 VH-1

What happens to Really and Drama in Ireland then? They’re currently on the same numbers as in the UK.

The master list (which has had some changes since being published) says:
155 Really (ROI)
158 Drama (ROI)
161 Discovery Turbo (GB) / RTÉ One (NI) / Yesterday (ROI)
162 Animal Planet (GB) / RTÉ 2 (NI) / Home (ROI)
188 Discovery Turbo (NI/ROI)
190 Animal Planet (NI/ROI)

(N.B. final, confirmed channel numbers due to be confirmed by Sky later this week)

Newer posts