TV Home Forum

CBBC revive Saturday morning magazine show format

The return of Saturday morning telly - well almost (May 2017)

This site closed in March 2021 and is now a read-only archive
TI
TIGHazard
What was the other summer replacement inbetween D&D and TMI. There was Mighty Truck of Stuff and something else
FA
fanoftv
Ed & Oucho's Transmission Impossible aired during the summer, well more spring.
:-(
A former member
* The Saturday Show, which in its first two years was a year-round series, and then in 2004 and 2005 was itself the summer replacement for Dick & Dom in da Bungalow. The BBC's next proper summer Saturday series was Mighty Truck of Stuff in 2006, by which time all Saturday morning children's programmes had been moved to BBC Two.
MA
madmusician
This video shows the final L&K from TV Centre in April 2001. An odd show, as they had to mention that Katy Hill was leaving and that they were heading up to Scotland. It ends with them on a red bus not knowing if they are on the air or not. All a bit shambolic!

JA
james-2001
What was the other summer replacement inbetween D&D and TMI. There was Mighty Truck of Stuff and something else

There was The Mysti Show in 2004... which was pretty awful.

Rather strangely that got a partial repeat on the CBBC Channel the following year. Presumably the only Saturday morning show that ever did (unless you count the SM:TV episodes that went out in the afternoon during the 2003 Rugby World Cup being repeated on ITV2 the following Saturday morning).
TI
TIGHazard
I found

There was The Mysti Show in 2004... which was pretty awful.

Rather strangely that got a partial repeat on the CBBC Channel the following year. Presumably the only Saturday morning show that ever did (unless you count the SM:TV episodes that went out in the afternoon during the 2003 Rugby World Cup being repeated on ITV2 the following Saturday morning).

I found out what I was thinking of. It was called The POD. Apparently teams of boys & girls were set a challenge. Whichever team won got to "demand the next show to be aired" out of whatever CBBC had the rights too. I remember being quite annoyed by it at the time as it was right in the middle of some show I really liked (I think it was The Batman) and no team ever picked it despite it being an option.

http://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/2153fe81997147a1999e5201e14eb956

And The Mysti Show was still getting repeats a few years later - There's a person on YT uploading everything CBBC aired from 2007 onwards and he's uploaded a few episodes.
JO
John
I still remember when L&K went on its holls to glasgow for the summer. Katy never went with them and someone else come in. The whole feel of the show was different, its was like who cares let's have fun and be silly feel. I remember there brought back "Strange or fiction" or true or fiction show? as a gameshow on the series.

I think this down to historicaly the summer Saturday mornings came from Manchester and then was moved to Glasgow. The ‘show’ moved for the summer but not the production team.
DE
DE88
I still remember when L&K went on its holls to glasgow for the summer. Katy never went with them and someone else come in.

Was it established why Katy didn't make the trip north? Whether she wouldn't or couldn't?
FA
fanoftv
I don't think it was announced.
I wonder if the contract was for the 30 weeks (as per previous series), and they extended it as it would be the last one at a later date, she may not have wanted the move every week, wasn't she newly married at this point? A shame on the timing and being up against Ant, Dec & Cat because Katy was very good in the role as was Trey
MA
mannewskev
I wonder if the contract was for the 30 weeks (as per previous series), and they extended it as it would be the last one at a later date, she may not have wanted the move every week, wasn't she newly married at this point? A shame on the timing and being up against Ant, Dec & Cat because Katy was very good in the role as was Trey

Wasn't she newly married to Trey though, so by not going to Glasgow they'd have been apart more.
BU
buster

Wasn't she newly married to Trey though, so by not going to Glasgow they'd have been apart more.

She wasn't - she had been married to a childhood sweetheart for a couple of years. This marriage ended soon after and she married Trey after that.

Now, you could put two and two together here and speculate on why she decided not to continue being part of the team, but I suspect the truth is probably a bit more boring, that the show was on the way out and as the biggest "name" on the presenting lineup she didn't need the work as much as the other three, so decided to make the jump at the end of the initial contract.

The decision to run all year round was taken after the start of the series, but before the axe came. It was when Nigel Pickard arrived from ITV and decided to make Saturday mornings and Blue Peter run all year round as it had been very successful with SM:TV. The axe fell in March (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/1231028.stm) but this was only a few weeks away from the end of the initial 30 weeks and extension to summer months, which had presumably always been planned to be in Glasgow for reasons outlined earlier.
Last edited by buster on 14 April 2018 2:25pm
BU
buster
Incidentally the following year The Saturday Show had an almost identical 30/22 split in terms of the Glasgow output, but in 2003 I think they moved around June instead. In fact I had presumed they were staying in London all year round until I noticed Glasgow in one of the addresses one week. So presumably by then the quota had changed or they'd decided they didn't need to do as much.

2004 and 2005 were much shorter run times at 90 mins each but did begin around April as usual.

Newer posts