TV Home Forum

CBBC revive Saturday morning magazine show format

The return of Saturday morning telly - well almost (May 2017)

FA
fanoftv Central (West) Midlands Today
Do they?

I can only think of Dick & Dom in da bungalow which prominently featured the audience. TMi also went with this approach with the TMi-ers.

SM:TV featured a kid in Challenge Ant, Live & Kicking featured them in phone ins, but weren't the presenters and guests always the main focus?
BO
bobbybop West Country (West) Spotlight
In my eyes they do, the saturday show and toonattik also featured the audience. There was also the short lived Jamie and anna's big weekend on nickelodeon which featured the audience. That what made the shows great, that the kids watching could join in and have a fun time. The mob always looks a bit uninterested, if they had audience games then they would look interested.
:-(
A former member
In my eyes they do, the saturday show and toonattik also featured the audience. There was also the short lived Jamie and anna's big weekend on nickelodeon which featured the audience. That what made the shows great, that the kids watching could join in and have a fun time. The mob always looks a bit uninterested, if they had audience games then they would look interested.

Your getting a tad confused. Toonattick was GMTV show and was mainly a Girls V boys programme with only about 6 kids. The saturday show, the less we talk about that the better. There was a good amount of complaints surrounding that programme about its interactions with the kids. Also if Jamie and anna's big weekend on nickelodeon was a great show why was it short lived?
Last edited by A former member on 21 December 2017 8:04pm

89 days later

A former member
So what going with this format? is it come back ? do we have to wait until September to get a second series? If it does come back will it get 20 week run? I still think there could have recorded saturday morning show like Fully booked for the another 20 weeks and have 10 weeks off for the summer.

24 days later

A former member
Just to ask, Did there still keep on moving the Summer slot to Scotand? I had thought this all stop just after L&K kicked the bucket...

4m 27S and the address is Glasgow...
FA
fanoftv Central (West) Midlands Today
The Saturday Show under Dani & Joe and Fearne & Simon both moved to Glasgow during the summer. When Dick & Dom took over the BBC One slot they aired from September until April. The Saturday show with Simon, Angelica and Jake aired from Glasgow during the summer.
A former member
Never know that, Glasgow always seem to have a better grasp on the cheapness of the shows. Maybe if BBC got its act together and give Saturday mash up a second series of at least 24 weeks it might get going. 16 weeks before xmas and 8 after.

I still think there should try again with a spring series 20 week run like the old fully booked Recorded as live?
BR
Brekkie Wales Wales Today
Never really understood the move to Glasgow for the summer - I'm guessing it was a kind of Salford-lite deal back in the early 90s to ensure some sort of Scottish quota was met, even if that meant basically shipping up a production team from London for the summer.
Stay Local. Stay Safe. Stay Alive.
IS
Inspector Sands
Remember that that the summer Saturday morning shows never came from London. Throughout the 80s and early 90s they were from Manchester.

Sound like a continuation of that, except in Glasgow. Maybe because Glasgow had a studio whereas the ones in Manchester were closed?
NG
noggin Founding member
Never really understood the move to Glasgow for the summer - I'm guessing it was a kind of Salford-lite deal back in the early 90s to ensure some sort of Scottish quota was met, even if that meant basically shipping up a production team from London for the summer.

Quite a lot of the team were local - it helped train quite a lot of BBC Scotland people AIUI.
JA
james-2001 Central (East) East Midlands Today
I think it's because they made Fully Booked from 1995 (albeit on BBC2 Sundays from 1996-99, while BBC1 Saturdays just had extended CBBC) and FBi (which was basically a revamped Fully Booked) in 2000, so I guess they decided to keep summers with them.
SW
Steve Williams

I remember it being announced in the mid-nineties that they were now going to be commissioning 25% of childrens' programmes from BBC Scotland, as part of a move to get more programmes made across the UK. Clearly producing a two hour show from there for 26 weeks of the year was an obvious way to meet the quota.

As mentioned it more or less replaced the old BBC Manchester childrens' department which closed down in the early nineties, and which up until 1991 produced the summer Saturday morning shows. When that closed a couple of its continuing series were moved to other departments, like Why Don't You. In fact the sports show Activ8 was made by three different departments during its run - it was initially a BBC Manchester production, was then moved down to London when Manchester stopped making kids' shows, and then a few years later was one of the existing shows moved up to Glasgow to meet the quota. And I remember the head of the unit at BBC Scotland was Edward Pugh, who had filled the same role at BBC Manchester.

I think it's because they made Fully Booked from 1995 (albeit on BBC2 Sundays from 1996-99, while BBC1 Saturdays just had extended CBBC) and FBi (which was basically a revamped Fully Booked) in 2000, so I guess they decided to keep summers with them.

Yes, BBC Scotland had been making the summer Saturday morning shows since 1995, but in 2000 FBi hadn't been very successful at all, and clearly it was decided that with SMTV running all year round, it would make more sense to have Live and Kicking running all year round as well, as the stronger brand. But it wouldn't do to make it all in London so they continued making it in Glasgow in the summer months.

The presenters came with it but I don't think it was the case that many of the production team came up, the team at Glasgow who made Fully Booked and FBi were still in charge, and it certainly had a different "feel" when it was in Glasgow. They were pretty experienced in making that style of show in Glasgow, though, not only had they produced the Saturday morning shows for a couple of years but they'd also obviously made Saturday morning-style shows for the Scottish school holidays.

There are other examples of the same show being made by more than one department. For a couple of years in the eighties Russell Harty did his show twice a week on BBC2, where on Tuesdays it came from London and on Thursdays from Manchester, with a different production team in each city.

Newer posts